JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Seven Pounds... What did YOU think of it?

viber_91

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Hey mr k, interesting points... But How can you decide to kill yourself but then be charitable as well.. Wouldn't killing himself also negatively affect his brother??? Would giving someone sight or an organ really change their lives.. Isn't it deeper than that..

• Members

Oh s**t!! Sorry about the spoilers guys, I was a bit tired and tipsy when I posted this stuff last night and I forgot all about it. I understand that this topic is not just for those who have already seen the movie but also for those who wanna see it and want to know other fans' thoughts!

Anyway, Hero....

SPOILERS BELOW SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!

You're right on that score, it is a bit deeper than that and he is in fact making the lives of his friend and brother worse by doing that. The way I saw it is that he was so traumatized that his mind went into overdrive and stopped acting rationally. He just went "The hell with it, I want out of here, I just want it to affect at least some people in a positive way, I don't want it to be completely meaningless!"

I know you can argue that death is always meaningless, but to him the fact that he decided to do it on his terms, the fully conscious decision of how to do it and what happens after he's gone, that alone gave it the meaning he was looking for.

I like to think so at least;)

I was appalled by the premise of this movie. Mediocre acting aside (and it was all pretty mediocre, imo), I left the theater feeling manipulated and angry! There was NOTHING noble about what Will Smith's character did. Wracked with guilt, he chose to end his life - and whoever wrote the screenplay tried to manipulate me into thinking it was some kind of great sacrifice.

The protaganist (sp) was SICK & needed mental help! He certainly wasn't a hero and if this film is nominated for any kind of award, I think I will get sick. Worst film I've seen in a long time.

• Admin

I was appalled by the premise of this movie. Mediocre acting aside (and it was all pretty mediocre, imo), I left the theater feeling manipulated and angry! There was NOTHING noble about what Will Smith's character did. Wracked with guilt, he chose to end his life - and whoever wrote the screenplay tried to manipulate me into thinking it was some kind of great sacrifice.

The protaganist (sp) was SICK & needed mental help! He certainly wasn't a hero and if this film is nominated for any kind of award, I think I will get sick. Worst film I've seen in a long time.

Well someone here agreed with me :werd:

Okay, i'm finally getting time to write this. SPOILERS!!!

I really liked the movie. It's not my favorite FP movie, but i like it alot. The 1st scene really grabs u. And the 2nd real scene makes u hate his character even tho' u don't want 2. I love the way stuff like that messed with your brain and u couldn't figure things out. The confusing flashbacks and stuff like that were all frustrating even tho' u know they were all gonna be cleared up later. I think the "different" factor of the movie makes it different but that it also took away from it a little. I think the 2nd half of the movie was VERY good. The relationship part was just very interesting, the clearing up of his character's past, and how so many little pieces of the movie added up 2 making sense.

Overall, i love the idea of a man who is tortured by a mistake he made in his past, how he's suffering becuz of what he's lost, and how he's basically appointed himself as an angel on earth, giving all of his time and everything he had 2 enrich the lives of good people suffering with nowhere 2 go. That's just amazing 2 me. I think there's a piece of that in every person who wants 2 be that person. This may be a movie, but it truely does show that miracles can come true.

I do plan on seeing this movie again b4 it leaves theaters.

I really liked it.. Will did a great performance and the story was really interesting (even though I can see why some people are criticizing its lack of complexity).. it felt pretty good to see Will in another drama with a good script.. especially after the horrible hancock

This movie was great!

I connected with Will Smith's character because I'm quite OCD about past actions. I've even pondered how I'd deal with the death of someone if I felt responsible. Many people would have a tough time living with themselves if they felt they were the cause of someone else's death. I can also understand the reasoning that as much help as you give, it is never enough if you're still fortunate to live while others have died.

Plot-wise: Solid. I don't have any complaints. Although I was surprised his character let himself dream about a possible relationship after the accident.

Character-wise: Great. I think his brother and Holly were perfectly minimal in use. Enough to bounce off of you as something worth noting, but not too much to distort the movie's focus.

As to why so many people didn't like the movie:

1.) I think people pick and choose early what they like in a movie, and I believe many were turned off by the marketing. They felt snubbed that the trailer gave little to the audience to go spend $10.

2.) People took kind to POH, but I think they worried and came in with preconceived ideas that the director would just duplicate the same style. Which he did, but I think it works.

3.) The movie was the reversal of the past few Will Smith movies: The start is not as good as the end. I think people were turned off early, and expected the end to flop ala I Am Legend and Hancock.

4.) We've got such a bleak economy and maybe people weren't looking to dampen the holidays. Although I will say this ending was a happy ending all-in-all.

And finally...the biggest, which I think this forum's discussion further proves:

5.) Our society is still not at all comfortable with suicide as a rational end. It's a really unusual conversation to have, but for centuries, certain suicides were deemed honorable. Shakespeare spent time expressing the human condition where suicide seemed only logical to release the guilt and depression a person had. We've had the better part of a century learning otherwise: That suicide is selfish, dishonorable, and a crime. I can understand his character's decision. What further offends audiences is that the film presents his decision as truly brave and quite selfless. In fact, a case can be made for that idea. So I think many people just don't want to believe that such an action is ever justified or reasonable. I'd suggest this premise is more for the classical societies, whether early America or Renaissance Europe.

• Members

I got a question to the People who was already in the movie:

Are there any "hot" scenes, with mrs. dawson?

I dont like movies like this... in so many movies are the women... naked xD...

(and sometimes i think this scene is destroying the movie... because its failed the movie)

so somebody can tell me that?

I finally saw it today. MY THOUGHTS:

The film is definitely trying to depress you as much as the main character seems to be. I don't think the film needed to be such a big secret. He was responsible for 7 deaths, it's not the plot find of the century.

That said, I think I can say that I both like and dislike this movie equally. I don't think it deserved the panning it got from critics (who probably expected to be blown away by the super secret movie) and I don't think it's a "great" movie. It was nice to not see Will playing earth's only hope for salvation, but this film only further cemented my feeling that I'm tired of Will starring in Will-centered films.

I thought it was decent, but my mind definitely began to dissect the film while I was watching it.

Edited by Silver Tiger

The day Will stops making movies mainly for the 20M or for the oscar run is the day Will will reach his peak. I felt like I was watching a movie that was a vehicle for Smith to run for the Oscars and to make the viewer as sentimental and teary as possible and it made no sense to me (All of my friends knew the ending after like 10 mins, the jellyfish thing was absurd). I mean when you're a scriptwriter for so long and all you've done is write for Sabrina and some other silly sitcom how smart would it be for Will to work with this guy ? I had my prejudices about this situation and I was kinda hoping for a miracle that the scriptwriter would've come up with something good. I don't blame Muccino a lot even though I don't like him that much, this movie comes down to the script, as simple as that. It's beyond horrible that it just doesn't work on that level. This is one flop that could've been prevented by Will himself. He is one of Hollywoods WORST actors when it comes to script selection. He is so huge and powerful as an actor in Hollywood that he can work with whoever he wants.

I'm gonna wait and see what his next move is going to be, he has a couple years to bounce back and to live up to his own potential and peak. If this is Wills peak, I'm not too optimistic about the next 10 years.

Sorry for the harsh words, I'm just a bit furious at Will.

Ok, I've seen this movie again... But this time with a more negative attitude towards it...

And, I can see why the movie is getting all the negative reviews. I doesn't deserve the 27% RT rating, but It sertanly doesn't deserve the 7.6 it has on IMDB. It looks like Will just read the last part of the script and thought "Well, I've got to get an oscar for that!" and just didn't care about the rest of the movie... The last part of the movie is great, but sadly, that's about the only good thing in this movie. Sure, Rosario is great (and hot) as Emily, and Woody is also very good, but he didn't get enough screentime to really show his acting skills... But here Will shows why he's not considered a "great actor", and that he doesn't really deserve to be the main character in movies with other great actors and directors... Will only uses about one facial expression in the entire movie, and says it took about a month for him to get out of that character... That's not a good sign.

And I'm really starting to grow tired of seeing Will play such great guys. In the original Hancock script, he was more of a sh*thead, and in the SP script he was more of a creep. But Will and James (I blame them, cause they are the people who bought the right's to the scripts) for some reason feels that it's necessary to change the scripts. The ending in the SP movie is better than in the script, but the rest is just not that good...

I mean, Will only does 1 movie (sometimes two) every year, so the movies he's in should be great... People like Woody Harrelson does about 5 movie's every year, and while many of them isn't considered to be that great, he still has about 4 movies from the last two years that are really good... But do you know any movie that Will has done that is considered to be great? I think ALI was great, and Will gave a great preformance. That's a great movie, for Will, but there are tons of movie's about real life people that are much better... POH was overrated, and Will didn't deserve to be oscar nominated, sure he was good in the movie, but not "best actor of the year"-good...

I just think that Will doesn't have the balls to play a really hard character, someone who challenges him as an actor. And that's why he doesn't deserve to win an oscar...

If you just think about his acting, he really doesn't deserve to have the main role in all the movies he's in...

Edited by viber_91