JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Seven Pounds... What did YOU think of it?

viber_91

I downloaded the movie (sorry, I'm a bad, bad person... :leaving: ), cause I've wanted to see this for a long time, and had quite hight hopes for it... I must say I really loved the movie. More than POH, and I thought it was Will's best acting preformance scince ALI.

I'm sure some people here won't like it, but for me, I prefer this kind of movies to Hancock, IAL, BB or MIB...

- just took this from a short "review" I did in a swedish movie forum an translated it with google translator, so... I'm sorry if it looks like I can't speak english sometimes...

Most critics seem to hate the movie, while most "ordinary film viewers" seem to think that it's really good, Well... I'm glad I'm not a critic...

Some seem to think that the film shamelessly manipulates us to cry, but it is not what a film should be able to do? We all know that this is a movie, with actors and a screenplay, It's not real. But still it manages to get me sitting with a shaking lip and wet eyes through the whole end. If it were not for the - ACCORDING TO ME - fantastic ending, this movie would not really be that special, but the final scene with Smith really shows that they know how to move the audience to tears, and Smith plays the part really freaking great. It feels a bit like the movie would have had much better ratings if it were in a language other than English, it would probably not have been much better. But for some reason columnists has never allowed Americans to do "Pay it Forward" - and "Seven Pounds"-style movies.

Judging from all the reviews, Seven Pounds will probably not pick up a single oscar nomination, and probably wont win a single prize at any "movie award"-thingy. Even though I think Smith does his best role since Ali, and that the film is better than The Pursuit of Happyness, I can understand if this movie does not reach over 100 million dollars (though I still believe this will make it), reviews has not been good, and when most people read them then they probably know that this is not a uplifting holiday movie... According to me the end was very good except a very small part that was a little too "Hollywood", but otherwise pretty good, certainly one of Will's best films. Movies rarely stick in my consciousness several days after I see them, but it is something that SP does.

However, a small warning:

If you are looking to see a movie that makes you happy and makes you feel good, maybe Seven Pounds is not the right one... For many, it can probably be vice versa, it gave me very mixed feelings. Both positive and negative, but, to me, it was a really good movie, even though many of you may not agree with me.

Will see this in theaters as soon as it comes to Sweden.

4/5

Edited by viber_91

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, thanks for your review viber. I'm glad you liked it, and saying that this movie is even better than 'Pursuit' makes me want to see it right now! But I won't download :lolsign: I'll wait...

So, tell me, is 'Seven Pounds' your favorite Will Smith movie?

Edited by Ale

But I won't download :lolsign: I'll wait...

Damn, I feel really bad telling you guys I downloaded a Will Smith movie ILLEGALLY... :sorry:

So, tell me, is 'Seven Pounds' your favorite Will Smith movie?

That's quite a hard question, since I've only seen the movie once. But right now it's up there at #1 with ALI... It's absolutely the most emotionally gripping movie he's done. It certenly doesn't deserve all the negative reviews it's getting if you ask me... I'm sure ALI is better in many ways, but it did not move me anywhere near as much as Seven Pounds... But they are quite different movies from the start. Since I like kind of slow melancholy dramas I thought that the movie was excellent... It did get kindof melodramatic in some scenes, but that was a problem I also had with POH... Maybe I have like a weak psyche or something like that :woono: , so that the movie could use all those manipulative moves to move me to tears... I don't know, and I won't think about it to much... The only thing I know is that it, to me, is a great movie and it shares the first spot with ALI as my favorite Will Smith movie...

Edited by viber_91

• Admin

is seven pounds the worst movie ive seen? Probably not.. But it's so overly sappy it's hard to like..muccino seems to love bangin you over the head again and again to make a point...he is so obvious!!! He did it with the American flag in pursuit..again and again..the end of the movie which you'll figure out well before the end is hidden throughout bevmcause if you knew what it was about you prob wouldn't sit through two hours of this crap.. The script is good enough for a lifetime/hallmark telemovie..it's a mile away from an oscar which seems the whole project was constructed for an attempt at awards season.. Rosario Dawson gives a very honest performance..she seemed like a very real character but eventually she gets swallowed up by the sub par quality of the script in the final act..wills performance is extremely strained..I actually found it difficult to watch him portraying this character..it was so over the top and forced emotion I'd rate it as one of his worst performances..muccino does create some beautiful shots but that's his only saving grace..the other characters in the movie are barely seen as the love story completely takes over..this also lessons the payoff at the end.. This movie like baggervance and wild wild west I'll prob never see again..

thanks timboat,

i wont watch that movie for sure now. man.. can somebody tell me what to do as a JJFP music fan now? im not interested in his acting stuff at all. for me he just cant act and tim just confirmed what i've thought about his acting and the movie in general.

I'll write a review later. For now, i'm just gonna say i liked it. The 2nd half of the film was amazing. I'll probably see it again (the 1st FP movie i'll see twice in theaters since POH.

I'll write a review later. For now, i'm just gonna say i liked it. The 2nd half of the film was amazing. I'll probably see it again (the 1st FP movie i'll see twice in theaters since POH.

Hell yeah, tired of all this negative energy personally. I'm no movie critic, cause I pretty much view each movie as its own piece of art that many people have put their heart into. I like most movies I see honestly.

Edited by bart5

• Admin

Here's my central problem with this movie...spoilers everybody!

You kill seven people.. Now instead of spending your whole life changing peoples live you decide to kill yourself and donate all your organs to them.. I simply can't buy that premise.. It's ludicrous.. Even if I did his motives are never fully explained

• Members

Here's my central problem with this movie...spoilers everybody!

You kill seven people.. Now instead of spending your whole life changing peoples live you decide to kill yourself and donate all your organs to them.. I simply can't buy that premise.. It's ludicrous.. Even if I did his motives are never fully explained

That's a terrible argument to make. Have you ever been in this type of situation?? I hope not and I hope none of us will ever be. People are different and what comes with that is that we react differently to extreme situations. There is no one mode of behaviour that you can just apply whenever something as extreme as that happens. Whatever happens in a man's mind after something like that is impossible to comprehend. I actually buy his motives because they were quite simple...he decided to kill himself...that's it! But then he decided that he didn't want his death to mean nothing, he didn't want to be just another traumatised victim who can't deal with the new reality so they decide to kill themselves...he wanted to make more of it. The seven people that he "killed" died for no reason other than being in the wrong place in the wrong time so he decided to let his death be of some benefit to others...

I liked this movie a lot...it wasn't boring even though I knew the big twist going in. It pulled me in. People bitch about the fact that some characters like his friend or his brother weren't given enough screen time but I disagree. There was no need whatsoever for them to be in the movie anymore that they were. It was a very a very sad movie which to me is a reason why so many people disliked it...beacuse they're not used to movies like that coming out of Hollywood. It was shot very well and with a very European sensitive feel to it that helped a lot in achieving the desired effect.

Will was brilliant. This is the first movie since Bad Boys in which he completely dropped his "Will Smith Persona" and just became the character. It didn't feel forced, to me it was genuine. I think he should follow in those steps when it comes to becoming the character.

The only thing that bothered me is that I would have liked to see more of his life before the crash or right after the crash but other than that I think the movie works...

Overall...a solid 8/10!!

Cheers