JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rumor: Will says they're will be a Hancock 2...

Vipa

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7878

When we asked Will if he'd ever be up for playing another superhero he replied that there were a lot of unexplored characters in the HANCOCK universe that would be ripe for a sequel and confirmed that we'll definitely see the rumored HANCOCK 2 in a few years.

The Peter Berg-directed film, which was made for $150 million, earned $624.4 million worldwide.

There is no direct quote, though, so take it for what it is...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Hancock director offers up sequel spoilers

Peter Berg, director of the superhero movie Hancock, has some ideas for a sequel if one ever comes to pass, and he shared his ideas with SCI FI Wire. (Spoilers ahead!)

At the end of last year's Hancock, it was revealed that Will Smith's superpowered character was actually an immortal god who became vulnerable only when in the presence of his goddess companion (Charlize Theron). Berg confirmed that a sequel would elaborate on the film's mythology.

"There might be another god out there," Berg said in an exclusive interview last month in Pasadena, Calif. "Might be another one."

If two gods render each other mortal, imagine what kind of wrench a third would throw into the mix. Also, imagine the casting to match up with Will Smith and Charlize Theron! In the mythology of Hancock, all the gods supposedly died out except for our heroes, so a third deity would tweak the mythos.

Berg also confirmed that the subplot of Jason Bateman's publicist character should pick up where it left off in Hancock, where he's starting his charity campaign.

Of course, Columbia Pictures would love another Will Smith blockbuster for the earliest possible summer position. Smith and Berg, however, are in no rush. "They like to fast-track it, but Will's busy, I'm pretty busy," Berg continued. "We're excited to do one, but we want the script to be right and the movie to be right. We don't feel a burning imperative to go right back into it."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/hancock-director-offers-u.php

'Hancock' sequel hires writing duo

Adam Fierro, Glen Mazzara to write follow-up

By Borys Kit

Aug 24, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

"Hancock 2" is taking shape.

Columbia has hired scribes Adam Fierro and Glen Mazzara to pen the sequel to the Will Smith superhero movie, which grossed $624 million worldwide last year. The original producing team is expected to return.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, though the scribes will work with Smith and director Peter Berg to build on the world hinted at in the first movie.

The original starred Smith as a boozy, irresponsible superhero who undergoes an image makeover by a public relations man. It later is revealed that the hero is part of a line of immortal beings who have been around for more than 3,000 years and begin to lose their powers when in proximity to fellow immortals.

"Hancock," originally titled "Tonight He Comes," took more than 12 years to make it to the screen; the sequel will be on a faster track.

ICM-repped Fierro spent several seasons as a writer-producer on FX's "The Shield" and also worked on Fox's "24" and Showtime's "Dexter."

Mazzara, repped by CAA, was a showrunner on Starz's "Crash," wrote for NBC's "Life" and worked with Fierro on "Shield."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ia3f0e0ee831a693682a0df1c51ea6aa5

I'd rather have another Men in Black or Bad Boys, but I'm not totally against Hancock 2. I rather see it than an I am Legend Prequel, The Last Pharaoh, or that City that Sails movie. Like alot of Will's movies lately it was good and entertaining until it fell apart with the climax, but it was a very good premise. Hopefully, with all the orgin stuff being out of the way, we can get back to Hancock struggling with not being an asshole and destroying things while saving people.

I don't think Hancock was good enough of a movie to have a sequel. I guess there is stuff they could do with the story but do they really need to? Since all of this movies do well they just wanna do sequels to all of them. The problem is, only a very few are the kind of movies that can make total sense by having sequels.

Like alot of Will's movies lately it was good and entertaining until it fell apart with the climax, but it was a very good premise. Hopefully, with all the orgin stuff being out of the way, we can get back to Hancock struggling with not being an asshole and destroying things while saving people.

I disagree. The most attractive part of 'Hancock' was when he was drunk and rude to people. That was funny because it was a different kind of superhero and the character was quite interesting. But, after the scene of the bank robbery, the movie becomes dark, serious and pointless. It seemed they were telling us two different stories.

It was one of Will's worst movies IMO, so I don't want a sequel obviosuly. But I totally understand why they wanna make a second part. Money rules.

Jason Bateman Hopeful About 'Hancock 2'

We've already heard thoughts on "Hancock 2" from director Peter Berg and stars Will Smith and Charlize Theron, but what does Jason Bateman think of the idea? The "Arrested Development" actor played an integral role in the first film, and his character would almost certainly be a required ingredient in the developing sequel.

Thankfully for the comedian's fans and the "Hancock" franchise at large, Bateman is definitely interested in returning for "Hancock 2." He spoke with Collider about the film, essentially describing the decision to rejoin the superhero film as a no-brainer.

"Oh yeah, in a heartbeat," Bateman said. "Yeah, that's not a tough decision. I hope that happens."

Despite his willingness to return, Bateman doesn't believe that a "Hancock" reunion is likely to happen anytime soon. He even addressed Berg's recent comments about introducing more gods into the "Hancock" universe.

"I'm sure he wasn't really passing on anything more substantive than just anytime Will Smith does anything it lends itself to a franchise," Bateman speculated. "And they were talking about a sequel while we were in the middle of shooting ['Hancock']. So I don't think he was saying that anything's happened that triggered real movement on that. I'm sure he probably just answered the question if somebody said, 'Hey what about a sequel for Hancock'? He probably said, 'Oh yeah sure. Wouldn't it be cool if we did this'? I don't think anything's really moved."

While the film isn't exactly ready to come out later this year, but there's definitely movement on the project. Just yesterday, two scribes were hired to pen the "Hancock 2" screenplay, indicating that somebody somewhere wants this movie to happen soon.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/08/26/jason-bateman-hopeful-about-hancock-2/

• 3 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE: 'Hancock 2' Director Confirms Will Smith And Charlize Theron Will Return For Sequel

Little over a year after "Hancock" and its superpowered slacker namesake started gobbling up $628 million in worldwide box office sales, movement on a sequel has begun to pick up. With Peter Berg set to return as director, two new writers hired to pen the script and star Will Smith consulting on the story, all the key players seem to be falling into place.

Yet we haven't actually heard for certain that Smith and co-star Charlize Theron will definitely reprise their roles. In a conversation before he heads to the Toronto film festival with a Wayne Gretzky documentary, Berg confirmed for MTV News that both Smith and Theron will certainly be returning for more "Hancock" hero-dom.

"Everybody's going to come back for a sequel," Berg said in response to a question about the two megastars.

Berg's comments confirm what Theron told us last September when she said she'd happily return if the rest of the key players returned too.

"Riding the Will Smith train is a really nice train to ride!" she laughed.

The big reveal at the end of "Hancock" was that [spoiler Alert!] both Smith and Theron's characters are immortal gods who become vulnerable when near each other. For the sequel, Berg said we can expect the appearance of at least one more all-powerful god. What's more, he's got his eye on a well-known name to play a third superhero.

"We have [someone in mind]," Berg said. "I'm not gonna tell you who, but we have!"

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/09/10/exclusive-hancock-2-director-confirms-will-smith-and-charlize-theron-will-return-for-sequel/