JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

808s and Heartbreak.

Vipa

ok ive given it a good listening too several times and my verdict is its complete pants. Now i love Kanye, "college dropout"and "late registration" are amazing, "graduation" wasnt as good but it had some really decent songs on it. This album has nothing special. i did think "Love lockdown" was good, mostly bcoz i love those drums, but ive grown a bit bored of it now. I thought "coldest winter" was good too, but ive also grown bored of that due to the fact it makes me want to slit my wrists.

It sounds stupid but i really cant listen to depressing albums, they just bring me down way to much and due to that i wont be listening to it very much. In fact ive been listening to this album all weekend and ive been feeling really down. Its due to other reasons but this album really wasnt helping me.

The only ok songs are "robocop" and "paranoid". Im really dissapointed, its hard to think that its the same artist that created these songs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanye Snags No. 1 Spot with 808s & Heartbreak, Ludacris Bows at No. 5

Wednesday December 3, 2008

Not even an underwhelming album like 808s & Heartbreak could deter Kanye West from returning to the top of the chart. Kanye earned his 3rd straight No. 1 on The Billboard 200 as 808s & Heartbreak entered the chart at numero uno ahead of Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy and Ludacris' Theater of the Mind. Even though 808s & Heartbreak moved an impressive 450,000 copies in the U.S., it's Kanye's lowest debut sales figure since his first LP, "The College Dropout," which clocked it in at No.1 with 441,000 in 2004. Ye's last album, Graduation, debuted at No. 1 with 957,000 last year, while sophomore set Late Registration clocked in with 860,000 at No. 1 in 2005. Meanwhile, Theater of the Mind snapped Luda's 7-year No.1 streak after debuting at No. 5 with 214,000 units.

source:rap.about.com

Kanye West Vs. Stephen Colbert (And the Winner Is...)

Thursday December 4, 2008

Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert ordered a smackdown on Kanye West and it may have worked. Let me explain. Last week, Colbert complained on his late night show that his new Christmas album, A Colbert Christmas, was stuck at No.16 on iTunes Top Albums chart while Kanye's 808s & Heartbreak held the No.1 spot. Colbert ordered his viewers to flood to iTunes and purchase A Colbert Christmas so that he could dethrone and (possibly) humble the ever arrogant Kanye.

What's at stake here? Well, Colbert doesn't seem to like the fact that Kanye called himself "the Voice of this generation of this decade" in a recent interview. "With all that auto-tuning you're not even the voice on your own album," quipped Colbert on his show.

Kanye responded via Twitter by saying, "Who the f*ck is Stephen Colbert?" Hey Kanye, he's the guy who just surpassed you on iTunes. As of today, Colbert's album has jumped all the way to No.2 while 808s & Heartbreak has dropped 2 spots down to 4. The true winner of Colbert Vs. Kanye West, though, may be Britney Spears, whose Circus album now occupies the No.1 position.

source: rap.about.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems like Kanye really lost a lot of popularity with this album and he is lucky he didnt have to face 50 or Jay the same week..

Lil Wayne sold quite a few records, but that didn't mean it was quality music.

I know I went back on what I said, but I just finished listening to all of Kanye's album.

Verdict: painful. I can't stand auto-tune, nor beats that are just pounding for the sake of pounding. He whined the whole time, and was quite obnoxious. I thought I was listening to a 7th grade emo wannabe. Kanye would just string out awful rhymes into what he considered singing. I would rather listen to Tony Yayo (and THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING) than put myself through the T-Pain, Lil Wayne, Fallout boy inspired slapdash garbage.

I can't say enough negative things to offset the time I wasted.

Oh, and here's what is going to happen...mark my words:

Kanye is going to go back to some straight up rap, with no one really expecting much. Follow me: The last three albums have increased upon one another's expectations of lyrical ability and beat-making. He needed to release from this pressure, so he went avant-garde. Now people will welcome a return to rap without as much pressure. I'm not saying this hasn't been done before: Common did similar in the early part of this decade. What was different, is he went political afterwards. He had always been socially conscious but he was able to change enough to not just revert. I doubt Kanye will go political or do anything noteworthy. In fact he may relegate to average hip hop.

Sorry everyone if I sound angry, I just feel dirty having listened to this album.

I feel dirty having to look at the picture on ur signature everytime u post something! maan would u put something up thats more like a good team, I dont know, maybe a Red Sox picture or something..

I might actually give the album a listen gradually but I'm not in a rush to, I'm not caught up in the hype, Kanye's aight for a mainstream artist but that don't make him one of the greatest though

Anyone who thinks Kanye is being original and innovative here is waaaay off. I have haeard tons of beats and sounds like this for several years from many different artists.

I don't just listen to Hip-Hop, my taste is as eclectic as they come you wouldnt have heard of half the artists in my collection.

This album was made to appeal to mainstream people who think this trash is fresh,

That's kinda what i was getting at with what i said. If i was hearing other artists...different kinds of artists over these beats, i might accept the music for what it is. I'm not saying i'd definitely love it, but i'd accept it. Some of the beats could be good for the right artist...some of them are awful. But when it comes 2 Kanye, his music, his sound, his everything, i thought it was steaming pile of doo doo.

• 1 month later...

I'm weighing in on this a little late , but I gotta say... I like this album a lot. "Amazing" is great with the exception of Yound Jeezy, "Welcome to Heartbreak," "Say You Will," "Bad News" "Street Lights" "Coldest Winter." Shoot, I even like "Paranoid" and "Robocop." Incidentally, if you want a good laugh, listen to the end of "Robocop."

I have to admit, at first, I didn't care much for the album, but it's grown on me tremendously. Perhaps the style takes a little getting used to, but after a few listens, if just flows very well. There are intricate things he does that makes this album work. The beats are somewhat unconventional, but they're extremely catchy. The biggest draw back I would say are the lyrics, and that's largely because he's singing for much of the album and the lyrics aren't as intricate, funny, or ironic as we're used to. Even then, the lyrics are better than 95% of the stuff that's out there. This isn't contentional hip hop.

Check out "Street Lights"

Let me know...

Do I still got time to grow?

Things ain't always set in stone

That being known

Let me know.

Let me...

Seems like streetlights, glowing

Happen to be

Just like moments, passing

In front of me

So I hopped in the cab and