JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jaden Smith set for 'Karate Kid' redo

Ale

Will Smith, producer of the film 'The Karate Kid' attends 'The Karate Kid' street festival & screening at AMC River East 21 movie theater on May 26, 2010 in Chicago, Illinois.

Pics!

http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=435129&s=will%20smith&sfld=C&vwmd=e

http://www.wireimage.com/ItemListings.aspx?igi=434955&nbc1=1

http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=435129&s=jaden%20smith&sfld=C&vwmd=e

Edited by Ale

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

‘The Karate Kid’ Interview: Jackie Chan Aspires to Be an ‘Asian Robert De Niro’

CHICAGO – When you think of Jackie Chan, you think of comedy blended with marital arts. Not any more, thanks to Will Smith and his new film “The Karate Kid,” which stars Jaden Smith.

“I really thank Will Smith for giving me a chance to act in this film. For a long time, I’ve wanted to show audiences that I’m not a comedian and I’m not an action star. I’m a true actor. An actor can do everything – just like Robert De Niro. I want to be an Asian Robert De Niro,” Jackie Chan exclusively told HollywoodChicago.com on Wednesday’s red-carpet premiere for the film outside Chicago’s AMC River East movie theater.

Chan says Will Smith has finally brought that out in him: “For a long time, no one has wanted me acting in this kind of role. But Will Smith said: ‘Jackie, do it. Jackie Chan without action? Yes!’”

We spoke with Jaden Smith, on the other hand, about his climatic crane kick in the new film. While you’ve seen previous iterations of it in the past, you’ve never witnessed it like this before. We won’t spoil the fun for you, but Jaden Smith does reveal this much about the scene in our red-carpet interview with him: “We set the cameras up, let the cameras roll and then I did it. I actually did it.” He added: “I know 100 percent more karate now than I did before this film.”

“The Karate Kid” opens on June 11, 2010 everywhere. The film stars Jackie Chan, Jaden Smith, Taraji P. Henson and Tess Liu from director Harald Zwart and writers Christopher Murphey and Robert Mark Kamen. The film is produced by Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Will Smith made a surprise appearance at the event and street festial, but he didn’t walk the red carpet or speak with reporters so as not to steal the thunder from his 11-year-old child star. Jaden Smith, who also starred in the 2006 hit film “The Pursuit of Happyness,” is the son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, the brother of Willow Smith and the younger half-brother of Trey Smith.

http://www.hollywoodchicago.com/news/10804/the-karate-kid-interview-jackie-chan-asian-robert-de-niro-will-smith-jaden-smith

-----

Jackie, you know that I love you, but.. you're no De Niro :laugh:

Edited by Ale

A New 'Karate Kid' for the Next Generation

Posted May 24, 2010 8:00:00 PM

Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan are teaming up for an all-new take on the classic '80s feel-good flick 'The Karate Kid,' and we have a first look behind the scenes!

"He was, like, the most amazing person ever," says 'The Pursuit of Happyness' star of working with Jackie, who plays his mentor in the movie. "He was always teaching me things. He was always telling me, 'You need to focus.'"

"Martial arts is not about beating people, it's about protecting people," explains Jackie.

Jaden's famous dad, Will Smith, is one of the producers of the film, along with his well-known mom, Jada Pinkett Smith.

"[it's] a classic from my childhood," says Will of the story. "It's like a win-win-win all around."

The action takes place in China, with the Great Wall providing just one of the dramatic backdrops for the story.

"He's learning his forms and they're running the Wall," explains Jada of a particular scene on the Great Wall. "It's kind of like the Rocky moment."

"The actors and the crew and the people are actually experiencing the essence of what the characters are supposed to be experiencing," says Will of using the background to create atmosphere.

Watch ET for more with the stars of 'The Karate Kid, in theaters June 11'!

WATCH VIDEO HERE!!!

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/05/87588/index.html

Edited by Ale

Will Smith Gives Red Carpet Ride at 'Karate Kid' Chicago Screening

ET is on the scene in Chicago, where Will Smith picked up a fan -- literally! As the Hollywood dad gave a young fan a red carpet ride, son Jaden Smith was on hand for a special screening of their new film, 'The Karate Kid.'

"This is what it's like on the red carpet," Will said as he hoisted a young boy up in his arms and snapping a picture with him.

Jaden's famous dad is one of the producers of the film, along with his well-known mom, Jada Pinkett Smith.

"[it's] a classic from my childhood," says Will of the story. "It's like a win-win-win all around."

The film is not a remake of the original, but a retelling of the tale that takes a single mom and her son to China, where he learns the ways of Kung Fu from a master of the art, played by Jackie Chan.

WATCH VIDEO HERE!!!

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/05/87703/index.html

Some reviews from IMDb:

Loved it. I tried to look for things I didn't like, or look at it as someone who didn't think much of Jaden as an actor or Jackie Chan. This is a great movie. The best I've seen all year.

Cinematography: Beautiful
Acting: Above par by all involved. Jackie Chan blew me away.
Fight Scenes: Outstanding
Storyline: The same as the original. But, there were enough differences to make it a story that stands on its own.
The relationship between Dre and Mr. Han: Very touching and just as compelling as the first.

People clapped and stood up when the movie was over.

I think this movie will be considered a classic by this generation just as my generation loved the Karate Kid. I would proudly put this movie next to my copy of "The Karate Kid" with Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita.

Loved It. My theatre gave a standing ovation, a barrage of whistles and cheers throughout the end tournament/end credits. I'm not that good at placing my thoughts on film in written form, but I will say that I am happy that Jackie showed depth in his acting that you only get to see from select Hong Kong flicks (New Police Story, Shinjuku Incident) and never his Hollywood films.

I loved the shooting locations they showed and all of the little nuances of Chinese culture spread throughout; meager-seeming things from games to cuisine. I

The fact that it was 2 1/2 hours really helped develop the story, characters, and importantly the importance and profound nature of the training.

When asked how she liked the film upon exiting the theater,this middle aged woman with her two kids and husband said something in what sounded like French. She then translated, "I actually thought it was better than the original."

I have to say, this film was fantastic overall. I do think there were a couple of misses in terms of comedic delivery on Jaden's part, but he was pretty diverse with a good range of emotion throughout the film. The few comedic lines that were delivered less than stellar can be forgiven because, this was not a comedy and the majority of his deliveries were spot on. He was very believable overall.

By the way, to be so young, the antagonists in this film did a VERRYYYY believable job being pretty ferocious. The little girl was cute and a good complimentary actress for Jaden. The fighting scenes felt punishing. There was nothing light here. I kept expecting to see blood spurting out of the opponents' mouths.

Actors Will Smith, Jaden Smith & Jackie Chan walk the red carpet at a special screening of 'Karate Kid' at the Cinemark 17 on May 27, 2010 in Dallas, Texas.

Pics!

http://www.filmmagic.com/ItemListing.aspx?cgl=434727&evntI=0

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&assetType=image&ebd=2010-05-27&p=will%20smith

Edited by Ale