JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jaden Smith set for 'Karate Kid' redo

Ale

Jackie Chan Unsure of 'Karate Kid' Remake Title, Reveals Fate Of 'Wax On, Wax Off,' The Crane Kick

Ever since the project was announced, movie fans have been clamoring for information about Will and Jada Pinkett Smith’s remake of an Eighties classic. Now, we’ve seen the first trailer and only five months remain until release, but even the film’s new Mr. Miyagi isn’t quite sure what to call it.

VIDEO!

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/07/jackie-chan-unsure-of-karate-kid-remake-title-reveals-fate-of-wax-on-wax-off-the-crane-kick/

“We just finished the movie, ‘Karate Kid,’” Jackie Chan told me Wednesday at the People’s Choice Awards. “Um, the ‘Kung Fu Kid.’”

Say what? Over the course of the film’s shooting, rumors had leaked that since the film is set in China, the title would reference Kung Fu (a Chinese discipline) instead of karate (a Japanese form of martial arts). But the recent first trailer for the movie ended with a title card that read “The Karate Kid.” Which seems odd, since technically Jaden Smith won't be doing any karate in the movie.

“I don’t know [what it’s going to be called],” Chan admitted of the film, which is due to hit theaters in June. “Probably ‘Kung Fu Kid’ in China and ‘Karate Kid’ in America. Maybe a different title? I don’t know. But mostly we’ve called it ‘The Kung Fu Kid.’”

To some, the difference may seem minor. But to those who treat 1984's “Karate Kid” as a classic –- including star Ralph Macchio himself -– a name like “Kung Fu Kid” might signal a welcomed desire by the film to stand on its own merits.

“It’s a totally different story; a totally different story,” Chan insisted, arguing that the movie is not a strict remake. “I was in China, Jaden [smith] was all the way from America. [The family moves] to China, then they see me, then it’s [about] how I teach him martial arts.”

Of course, one of the many reasons why the movie is interesting is because it’s produced by Hollywood super-couple Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, and it stars their 11-year-old son Jaden (“The Pursuit of Happyness”) in the Macchio role. But according to Chan, he felt no pressure stepping into the mentor role that earned late actor Pat Morita an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Mr. Miyagi.

“No [i felt no pressure], not at all,” Chan insisted. “Really, we put a tribute [to Pat Morita] in the movie; I just do whatever I can.”

As for the key hallmarks of the original movie, Chan revealed two to us. “It’s different. We do have ‘wax on/wax off,’ but in a funny way. We’re not teaching him these kind of things,” he insisted.

And, when we asked him about the presence of Macchio’s signature crane kick move, Chan said that whatever the movie is called, the final battle scene will not involve it. “No, we don’t have those [scenes]. We show you… I don’t want to give it away. See you in June!”

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackie Chan on 'The Karate Kid': "Totally Different" With "Heavy Drama"

Recreating the original Mr. Miyagi isn't as easy as "wax on, wax off." Just ask Jackie Chan, who will take on the iconic character in June's 'The Karate Kid,' a modern-day remake of the 1984 classic that starred Pat Morita as a gruff but kindhearted sensei and Ralph "Danielson" Macchio as his eager pupil.

Though Chan's character is named Mr. Han and not Mr. Miyagi, there is no doubt who Chan will be channeling on the screen -- and he promises the performance will show audiences his little-seen dramatic side. "Me, [i am] never happy-go-lucky the whole movie," Chan told Moviefone at Saturday's Los Angeles premiere of 'The Spy Next Door.'

"[i am a] master with the white hair, and I walk like this, and even speak slow. Crying, heavy drama," Chan says. "You can see everything. 'Karate Kid' is adult; also for the children, but more older adult. 'Karate Kid' is different," Chan insists. "You can tell 'Karate Kid' action [is] totally different than this action."

Since 2008's smash 'Kung Fu Panda' and 'The Forbidden Kingdom,' Chan seems to be aiming to alternate between family films and drama-driven stories. He has been most successful in recent years with broad (but not G-rated) comedies such as 'Rush Hour 3' and 'Shanghai Knights.' His biggest Hollywood bomb was the kids' movie 'Around the World in 80 Days.'

"That's what I am planning to do: one children's , one heavy drama," Chan says. "The next one, probably I will do 'Indiana Jones,' happy-go-lucky, lot of action, happy action. I have been planning it for so long."

'The Karate Kid,' which kicks its way into theaters on June 11 and co-stars Will Smith's son Jaden Smith ('The Day the Earth Stood Still'), is a chance for Chan to work not only as acting star, but also action director and stunt coordinator.

In 'The Spy Next Door,' however, Chan acts with a safe, kid-friendly action style. "I think I have been doing this kind of light action for so many years, I can tell what kind of movie for what kind of audience," he says. "When I do 'Rush Hour,' I know what kind of action. Children's movie, a different kind of action and different kind of humor. I think I am good in this kind of thing."

Lionsgate's 'The Spy Next Door' opens Jan. 15.

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/01/11/jackie-chan-karate-kid/

'The Karate Kid' redo: testing through the roof

Generation Xers may have bemoaned the redo of their 1984 childhood favorite The Karate Kid (I know I did) with none other than silver spooner Jaden Smith taking on the Ralph Macchio role. But, perhaps the results from Sony’s early test screening of the movie from director Harold Zwart (The Pink Panther) will win converts to rejiggering Mr. Miyagi’s karate-lessons-hidden-in-manual labor. (Jackie Chan takes on the Wax on, Wax off mentor role.)

The studio tells EW that the film scored just below Sony’s highest research screening ever, 2005’s Hitch, which ironically starred Jaden Smith’s dad Will, the last reigning movie star. With positive scores in the 97th percentile, the movie, which doesn’t open until June 11, might be one of those films that outdoes everyone’s expectations. Not that it’s likely to match Hitch’s gross, but that film did earn close to $370 million worldwide. The movie’s biggest challenge now will be going up with another ’80s classic: The A-Team, starring Bradley Cooper and Liam Neeson, which makes June 11 one fat nostalgia fest.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/15/the-karate-kid-redo-testing-through-the-roof/

'The Karate Kid' redo: testing through the roof

Generation Xers may have bemoaned the redo of their 1984 childhood favorite The Karate Kid (I know I did) with none other than silver spooner Jaden Smith taking on the Ralph Macchio role. But, perhaps the results from Sony’s early test screening of the movie from director Harold Zwart (The Pink Panther) will win converts to rejiggering Mr. Miyagi’s karate-lessons-hidden-in-manual labor. (Jackie Chan takes on the Wax on, Wax off mentor role.)

The studio tells EW that the film scored just below Sony’s highest research screening ever, 2005’s Hitch, which ironically starred Jaden Smith’s dad Will, the last reigning movie star. With positive scores in the 97th percentile, the movie, which doesn’t open until June 11, might be one of those films that outdoes everyone’s expectations. Not that it’s likely to match Hitch’s gross, but that film did earn close to $370 million worldwide. The movie’s biggest challenge now will be going up with another ’80s classic: The A-Team, starring Bradley Cooper and Liam Neeson, which makes June 11 one fat nostalgia fest.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/15/the-karate-kid-redo-testing-through-the-roof/

Lol, I know people are going to be mad... but kids are going to like it. :wave2:

• 3 weeks later...

The trailer is just what I expected. Looks like this will be a great movie for kids. If you're over 15 and you're excited about this, something is wrong with you

kinda difficult to say that to people (inlcuding yourself i supose) who are listening to songs like parents just dont understand

i think it looks nice, i'll go and see it with my girl, should be fun

The trailer is just what I expected. Looks like this will be a great movie for kids. If you're over 15 and you're excited about this, something is wrong with you

kinda difficult to say that to people (inlcuding yourself i supose) who are listening to songs like parents just dont understand

i think it looks nice, i'll go and see it with my girl, should be fun

Unfortunately, I haven't listened to parents just don't understand in quite some time. Though if I did listen to it, it would be more a means to reminisce about old school hip hop, not to necessarily relate to the message of the song... a fact which is likely true for many of us (including yourself I suppose).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jaden Smith honored by ShoWest

'Karate Kid' star named breakthrough male of the year

Jaden Smith, who is stepping into the title role when Columbia Pictures' "The Karate Kid" is released on June 11, has been named ShoWest Breakthrough Male Star of the Year.

He'll be presented with the award Wednesday at the exhibitors' convention on being held in Las Vegas' Bally's and Paris Las Vegas hotels. ShoWest also will screen "Kid" that same day.

"Jaden Smith is an exceptional young actor who has delivered a true breakout performance with his portrayal of Dre Parker in 'The Karate Kid,' " Robert Sunshine, managing director of the event said.

In "Kid," directed by Herald Zwart, Smith will star opposite Jackie Chan.

The son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, Jaden Smith made his feature film debut opposite his father in "The Pursuit of Happyness" and went on to star in the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

ShoWest is produced by the Film Group of e5 Global Media, which is also the parent company of The Hollywood Reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i888c20be761d1d655a2fa28b1546ba9b

Edited by Ale