JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

How star were they ?

Romano338

Hello !

I'm just 21, and I live in France, so I don't have any idea of how DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince were stars at there beginnings (before The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) ?

If you can compare with a today's rapper, who can it be ?

Were they famous in lot of countries ?

I tought they were known, but not a lot, and more I watch videos, more I think they were great stars !

Thanks for your answers !

Edited by Romano338

Nominated for most posts in the first day?

Do I hear a 2nd??

haha

Welcome to the board...yeah check Rock the House and Hes the DJ...pre FPOBA times that lead to FPOBA.

JJ+FP was big way before The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Since 2day's commercial rap stars are totally different from Hip-Hop stars from back in the day, it's impossible 2 compare and say "JJ+FP was as big as..." After all, it's over 20 years later and we are still talking about JJ+FP. Fans of Lil' Wayne will not be doing the same 10 years from now. Rock The House was JJ+FP's enterence in2 Hip-Hop. They got respect from both a Hip-Hop audience and a mainstream audience with "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" which was 1st released independently. From there, their next 2 singles were aimed more for the Hip-Hop audience. "The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff" and "A Touch of Jazz" both did well. Other songs like "Just One of Those Days" and "Guys Ain't Nothing But Trouble were also released for promotion. JJ+FP was part of pioneering Hip-Hop 2 a larger audience and mixing comedy in with the music. He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper was next. It was HUGE! "Brand New Funk" started it off bringing straight Hip-Hop energy. It was followed by the signature single "Parents Just Don't Understand." Next up was the radio hit "Nightmare On My Street." It was the 1st double-length Hip-Hop album. It was also the 1st album accepted by the mainstream that was half DJ trax. Then, in 1989, JJ+FP got experiemental. They mixed in some new sounds, instruments, and ways of making music. And In This Corner... had some steam with the lead single "I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson" and just a lil' bit with "The Groove" (a reworked remix of "Jazzy's Groove" featuring Jazz legend Grover Washington Jr). During this time in Hip-Hop, Hardcore Hip-Hop (which would have the spawn of gangsta rap) and Policital Hip-Hop started getting attention. That was the responce 2 people like M.C. Hammer getting a new level of success with their party Hip-Hop and danceable Hip-Hop. JJ+FP kinda got swallowed up in that. As FP went on a spending frenzy and got in some legal trouble, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air came along which saved his situation and put some new energy in the group why they took a nearly 2 year musical hiatus so they could come back strong.

There's a brief history. Look around this website for more info.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Wow interesting!! Being on Jive Record label they did a lot of touring, Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince were bonafied majors when their first album dropped but even more by the second album!! Before the albums JazzY Jeff was well known throughout the city of Philadelphia for cuttin it up before The Fresh Prince came along he would travel around the city doing schoolyards, block parties and jams!! Jazzy was untouchable man he once traveled with a cat named Rockwell and a girl named Spicy T he had no primary m.c. then there was a dude named ICEE who rocked the party like the Fresh Prince but didn't have the lyrical skills as Will!! Jazz started his jams displaying his skillz he would have this cosmo introduction then he would throw on Jive Rhythmn Tracks and the m.c. would lead him into the scratches, it was very popular in fact all of Philly upcoming DJ's were trying to do this but none like Jazzy!!The Fresh Prince popped on the scene around 86 or 87 they hooked up and never looked back!! As a battle m.c. of that time myself I never really like Fresh Prince rap style but in the background rocked with a lot of their tunes!! Today I respect Will for what he has contributed to Hip Hop!! Let me tell you though Jazzy is one bad boy!!!