JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Cooked" - Will's next movie?

viber_91

topdawg u don't win a championship by pursuing individual glory, u do it with a great team. At the moment will has completely lost it by making his sole focus being an oscar. It's so planned out it's sick. But here's the problem, the directors he chooses are crap the writers he chooses are substandard the scripts aren't there and the fellow actors are pathetic. He isn't acting with anybody. Will made a good point when doing enemy of the state. When u are sitting across from gene hackmen u better lift he game up to his level. Well will hasn't. Been challenged by anyone like that in years. I don't want will to do music I pretty much know that's dead but he is making sum crap decisions regarding his film career. The oscars are so arbitrary, the best directors the best actors have never got em.Robert Altman the greatest director if American cinema in the last century never won one.it's a Hollywood insiders game. So meanwhile we got put up with these obvious movies playing for an oscar that are all about will and not surprisingly have all dropped the ball on the most important thing...being a good movie

That's a little harsh. You act like Will has made awful movies of late. Actually, for the most part, they've been pretty good. Problems here and there, that keep them from being great or really good, which is disappointing, but they are not bad movies at all. Pursuit of Happyness was a good movie , though a little too sugary, with a great performance from Will. I Am Legend may have Will's best performance ever and was great until the end, which happens to many movies. All give you Hancock, though it's not as unpopular as some people think, it is an interesting movie that tries to do something different with the superhero genre. It's not totally succesfull, but Will should get points for trying something different. Seven Pounds looks to have that uplifting, feel good drama vibe of Happyness, which can be a little too sugary, but that's just the kind of person Will Smith is. He's all about being positive.

I do agree that Will should be working with better people, espically directors. Co-stars aren't too bad. He just worked with Charlize Theron, whose a damn good actress.

As for Oscars, every actor wants oscars and awards. Every serious drama released now till the end of the years was made by the studio, director, and actors involved with one of the goals being to hopefully get some Oscars.

• Members

I'm sort of an amateur/independent filmmaker here in Poland. Me and my friend made two short movies so far but we didn't win a single award on any of the independent film festivals because they were both crime/action movies. Audiences loved them (the first one at least, the second one got mixed responses) but the juries preferred something deeper, more meaningful so we said to ourselves "hey, let's do one of those then so we get recognized and our names will actually mean something"...working on a script now.

There's nothing wrong with pursuing an Oscar or any award for that matter as long as it motivates you to pick the right movies. Will's problem is not his tendency for Oscar-bait type movies like POH or 7P, his problem is that he picks mediocre scripts while he probably rejects quite a few decent ones.

I'll bet all the money in my pocket (actually that's not too much but for the sake of the argument let's pretend that it is) that Steven Spielberg one day said to himself: "You know what? I'm tired of being known mainly for the Indiana Jones movies and other action/adventure stuff. I wanna be taken seriously." And what did that give us? "The Schindler's List"!! Granted, Spielberg being Jewish and all, the movie was a personal venture for him but I'm pretty sure my point still stands...

• 2 weeks later...