JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Cooked" - Will's next movie?

viber_91

jeff_henderson_pre-prison.jpg

PLOT:

Smith is slated to star as Henderson, a one-time San Diego, California, cocaine dealer who discovered a passion for cooking in prison. Now the Executive Chef at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, Henderson had to convince Los Angeles area restaurant owners he would be a trustworthy and worthwhile addition to their kitchen teams upon his release from prison.

Quote from an interview with Henderson:

Then there's the autobiographical movie, which he (Henderson) says earned him "a really nice seven-figure number" for the rights, that's due late next year or 2010 with Will Smith set to play Henderson.

"The bad boy, hustler, drug dealer, the convict in prison who finds a love of cooking and finds redemption. ... Those are all roles that he's never played before," Henderson says of the different aspects of his life Smith will portray. "And he's in pursuit of that Oscar."

http://www.lvrj.com/living/30860399.html

• Admin

He's so in pursuit of that oscar its sickening.. Why? Oscars often never go to the best performances or best movies.. Why would you need the small number of people on the academy's approval? You don't do work to win awards you do it to make good work.

Man thats a very old Rumor... now True?

Well, It's not really a rumor... Overbrook and Colombia pictures bought the right's to the movie almost two years ago, they brought in producers, and started working on the script... And since that we haven't heard anything about the movie... I'm guessing the script could be finished by now, and they have started to look for a director and actors... Just hoping it's gonna be a good director... Well, we still don't know if this is gonna be his next movie. But If they want to release this late 2009 / early 2010 they should start filming next year...

I agree. Playing real people regularly in movies is kinda weird. Especially after u did Ali...everything else just seems a step down.

Will once said in an interview that most Oscars are handed out to actors who portray real people or people with mental illness(I think it was the interview he did w/ Angie Martinez in '05 when Hitch came out). Will believes there is a plan to this and he's going to follow it.

Tim, I can understand your frustration because you want Will to make music but I think the Oscar is more important to him right now. I think he wants that Oscar to validate his acting career. He's said the Oscar isn't important but it is. What actor doesn't want to be the one standing up there accepting a Best Actor/Actress award? It's like playing sports. You can make all the money in the world & gain personal accolades but at the end of the day it's about the championship. Your career isn't validated without that championship.

Yeah, but doing a movie for an Oscar is like making music for the money. Both ideas are wack. Do it for the art, do it for the love, do it for the people. I don't doubt the movie could be good. I'm just dying for some Fresh Prince right now. If he's not gonna be doing music right now, i want a movie that is gonna be him doing his thing. Hitch was like a grown up Fresh Prince. I Am Legend and Hancock was him doing roles (my 2 least favorite movies by him), Seven Pounds looks amazing 2 me...that will hold me over. But if he's gonna focus on movies, give me some Hip-Hop sprinkled comedy with lots of Fresh Princeisms.

Yeah, but doing a movie for an Oscar is like making music for the money. Both ideas are wack. Do it for the art, do it for the love, do it for the people. I don't doubt the movie could be good. I'm just dying for some Fresh Prince right now. If he's not gonna be doing music right now, i want a movie that is gonna be him doing his thing. Hitch was like a grown up Fresh Prince. I Am Legend and Hancock was him doing roles (my 2 least favorite movies by him), Seven Pounds looks amazing 2 me...that will hold me over. But if he's gonna focus on movies, give me some Hip-Hop sprinkled comedy with lots of Fresh Princeisms.

I see what you're saying AJ but I think he's trying to expand himself as an actor. Doing the "Will Smith Big Willie" thing is all good but it's not going to net him an Oscar. I don't doubt that he loves making movies for the art but shouldn't you get recognition for the hard work you do? And there's nothing more satisfying than an Oscar. I'd really like to see him win an Oscar one day. He's got enough Grammys. LOL

• Admin

topdawg u don't win a championship by pursuing individual glory, u do it with a great team. At the moment will has completely lost it by making his sole focus being an oscar. It's so planned out it's sick. But here's the problem, the directors he chooses are crap the writers he chooses are substandard the scripts aren't there and the fellow actors are pathetic. He isn't acting with anybody. Will made a good point when doing enemy of the state. When u are sitting across from gene hackmen u better lift he game up to his level. Well will hasn't. Been challenged by anyone like that in years. I don't want will to do music I pretty much know that's dead but he is making sum crap decisions regarding his film career. The oscars are so arbitrary, the best directors the best actors have never got em.Robert Altman the greatest director if American cinema in the last century never won one.it's a Hollywood insiders game. So meanwhile we got put up with these obvious movies playing for an oscar that are all about will and not surprisingly have all dropped the ball on the most important thing...being a good movie

I agree that doing a movie just in hopes of getting an Oscar is kind of moot. (though I'm sure a lot of actors do it, and ultimately that's the biggest honor) It doesn't necessarily define your career as an artist when you think about the actors/directors/writers/ and films that've gotten snubbed in the past; and there are lots of them.

In Will's case he's chasing that Oscar and the more obvious that becomes, I think the harder it may be for him to obtain it. I hated that the whole time he was promoting POH he kept saying "I really don't need an award" over and over when asked about the Oscar, then what? a few mths. after Forrest wins he says how he hated to lose the Oscar a second time. If anything I thought he should have won it over Denzel for Training Day, but that's another story. I guess I can understand his frustration but I'd hope he's doing these dramas more b/c he wants the story told, rather than for an award.

I guess it's not fair to just assume he's doing them(right now) in hopes for an Oscar, but that's the vibe I get, lol. Especially when he talks about being in his prime as an actor.