JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hancock: master thread

MissAshley

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another pretty bad review... Not that the film is bad, just the review...

"Was a little hesitant when I read the Press Release for this one I really thought Will Smith was really reaching on this one especially after an Oscar Worthy Performance in I am Legend. When I read the backstory of Hancock I was thinking to myself this is one of the most ridicoulous Superhero themes I've ever heard in my life and not even Will Smith with the beautiful Charlize Theron could save this one, The outlandish storyline and poor background. WIth all this going against Hancock, I have to say that it was a pretty entertanining fun ride that I was entertained from beginning to end I was truly riveted and for the first time I think you see the real story of the Super Natural super-hero's and see that Super Powers aren't really cracked up to what they claim to be because the average person if they were special in a normal world most would do more bad than good and make the world revolve around them. Hancock is the true symbol of that he truly does what he wants when he wants. Will Smith is the best actor that could have portrayed the role and you really gain a love for the charismatic, jerk hole Super Hero who turns his powers for good and also deals with the celebrity worshipped world we currently live in. This is one that is pretty great it's not one of the best of the summer but it is definitely going to be one of them. Will Smith is going to have another definite hit for the collection."

• Members

Can somebody translate what this guy wrote...seriously, I thought my English was pretty good but I'm not sure I understood everything the guy had to say. Was it just me or did that feel like one long sentence? :)

Anyway, at least he liked it. I'm seriously confused by what to expect from this movie at this point.

First, I thought it was gonna be good, then the first reviews showed up and lowered my expectations. Then some good reviews showed up together with the second awesome trailer and my hopes were up again. Now we're hearing all this talk about the reshoots, the MPAA rating problems etc.. and I'm confused again.

I'm just gonna go in with an open mind and see what happens.

Though the movie is still in post-production, I was fortunate enough to attend a screening for “Hancock” at The Bridge in Los Angeles. “Hancock” is the story of a not-so-super hero who teams up with a PR professional (Jason Bateman) to drop his image of a lazy alcoholic, who has regard for human life but not for public property, and become a hero that people can respect. The film provides comedy, drama and action to create an entertaining and unique experience that moviegoers may either enjoy or be turned off from.

When we are first introduced to Hancock (Will Smith), we see him sitting on the top of the U.S. Bank building in Downtown Los Angeles surrounded by empty bottles of alcohol. His inebriation causes him to plummet off the roof of the skyscraper and hit the ground leaving a meteor sized crater in the graveled streets of L.A. We then see him pick himself up without a scratch and stumble away. This is Hancock.

As a character, Hancock was actually very intriguing and likable. If Superman was a homeless wino with a complete disregard for surrounding architecture he would be called Hancock. His progression through the film is interesting as we see him go from an “asshole” to a hero step by step. There were many scenes involving the character that made me laugh out loud which is not an easy thing to do.

But my problem didn’t lay with the characters as much as it did with the story. The storyline was slow and seemed to drag on more than necessary. The first half of the film was entertaining as we learn more about the anti-hero but the latter half of the film was drab and predictable. If you are looking for a story that will blow you away or keep you guessing then “Hancock” is not for you. If you seek occasional laughs surrounded by entertaining acting and visuals then you might appreciate it a bit more than I did.

Overall, the acting was enjoyable for the most part and Will Smith, Jason Bateman, and Charlize Theron kept the movie alive for me. Smith and Bateman were hilarious and Charlize Theron is…well, hot. The visual effects in the film were absolutely stunning (though they were not all completed when I saw the movie) and probably the best I have seen in a feature film to date. There was plenty of action and destruction which will keep moviegoers awake but the storyline may counter that a bit. If you like films like “My Super Ex-Girlfriend” (which I didn’t) “Hancock” falls into the same genre but took it to the next level. It felt like a family movie with language and scenes that are not suitable for children which didn’t really work out too well because I still felt like I was watching a family movie. I recommend checking it out but it’s one of those movies you really only need to experience once.

http://angryweb.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/h...d-and-the-ugly/

"Was a little hesitant when I read the Press Release for this one I really thought Will Smith was really reaching on this one especially after an Oscar Worthy Performance in I am Legend. When I read the backstory of Hancock I was thinking to myself this is one of the most ridicoulous Superhero themes I've ever heard in my life and not even Will Smith with the beautiful Charlize Theron could save this one, The outlandish storyline and poor background. WIth all this going against Hancock, I have to say that it was a pretty entertanining fun ride that I was entertained from beginning to end I was truly riveted and for the first time I think you see the real story of the Super Natural super-hero's and see that Super Powers aren't really cracked up to what they claim to be because the average person if they were special in a normal world most would do more bad than good and make the world revolve around them. Hancock is the true symbol of that he truly does what he wants when he wants. Will Smith is the best actor that could have portrayed the role and you really gain a love for the charismatic, jerk hole Super Hero who turns his powers for good and also deals with the celebrity worshipped world we currently live in. This is one that is pretty great it's not one of the best of the summer but it is definitely going to be one of them. Will Smith is going to have another definite hit for the collection."

do you have a link for this review?

"Was a little hesitant...

do you have a link for this review?

sorry... http://www.flixster.com/movie/hancock/reviews

Your First Look At Our Exclusive Clip Of Will Smith In ‘Hancock’

Before the big show on Sunday, we’ll be airing our official MTV Movie Awards preshow, “Coming Attractions,” live at 7:30 p.m. ET. Beyond talking with the biggest stars around, we’ll also be unveiling a slew of exclusive clips from some of the hottest upcoming flicks. We’re excited to say that one of these will be a scene from “Hancock,” the upcoming superhero movie starring Will Smith as a superpowered slacker and Jason Bateman as the public relations expert trying to fix his image. Get a sneak peek at the clip in the video and pics below, and then tune in at 7:30 p.m. ET for the full awesomeness.

Watch video here:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/05/31/your-...ith-in-hancock/

Edited by Ale