JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hancock: master thread

MissAshley

Another review, this one doesn't say anything new, but it's very positive...

Will Smith is fantastic. His Hancock, for the first half of the movie is a little reminiscent of his character from I Am Legend in showing the isolation. It's interesting to see that isolation in a crown as opposed to being the last man alive in NYC. He's withdrawn, crawling into a bottle of whiskey whenever he can, stopping criminals simply becasue he feels he must, not out of any kind of sense of right and wrong. He seems like this is a job he hates. Something I haven't seen in a "Super-hero" before.

Jason Bateman is, well, Jason Bateman. Let's face it, he's never really had a broad range, but he plays the best Jason Bateman in Hollywood!

I almost didn't recognize Charlize Theron, thinking that she was the girl who plays Supergirl this season on Smallville. I think it was because she always had that puffy red-eyed look that the other girl has. I was surprised that her acting had improved so much as it had, haha.

I think that Theron's performance was perfect BECAUSE she had almost no chemistry with Bateman. I won't get into that aspect much more unless asked becasue it's very spoilerific.

The movie's plot almost seems like two separate movies until you consider the film's themes. Then the movie seems like a set of bookend around the concept of sacrifice, love and duty. As I was watching it, I was ready to criticize about a half dozen plot points until they were all answered and summed up quite nicely.

The movie starts out with a slow, deliberate pace. The slowness fits as the first 20 minutes or so are a study in depression, loneliness and a man who is both loved and despised at the same time. As it goes on, the pace evens out nicely, with only a hiccup or two of slow spots. Nothing to write home about, and nothing I think they should change. The last act really picks things up with some very fun action scenes.

One last thing I'd like to mention is that they seemed to try to limit the amount of "Superhero physics". There's no picking up trucks by the front bumper. In fact, When Hancock saves Bateman by tossing his car to get it out of the way of an oncoming train, he flips it up by tossing the back bumper so that teh car flips end-over-end. There's a number of scenes like that they impressed me. There were a few scenes where the standard Superhero Physics taks over, though, but at least they tried.

I give it a 9/10. Solid 4 out of 5 stars. Fun movie with quite a bit more seriousness than I really expected. Another over-the-wall home run for Smith.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been some really positve reviews on other sites like imdb, but since AICN reviews have been negative, people think the word on the film is bad. I hate that. So far most of the other reviews have been postive, a couple mixed postive, but still have alot of good to say. Most of the reviews of AICN are idiotic to read, with the reviewer trying to sound cool and hip instead of writing an informative review.

Edited by Radewart

Ok, I have never seen this pic, but maybe it's old. I just found it on some small swedish movie site... The last update was about three months ago so the pic isn't very new.

59839_1.jpg

About the music...

"'Hancock' is about love and death, and who really are the 'superheros.' The music plays the role of an invisible actor hinting at what is really happening despite what the actors you can see are saying. As the composer, I should be informing the audience of the subtext -- and occasionally, adding some grease under the wheels.

Hancock (Will Smith) is not your typical superhero. He is down on his luck. He is an alcoholic superhero who needs a publicist to fix his image. To complicate matters, he falls for the publicist's wife.

(Director Peter Berg) said he wanted the sound of a huge orchestra playing the blues, so I employed lots of guitars, some 'moaning' (a term for a type of wordless blues singing) and an orchestra of people who have all recently been divorced.

The score's defining sound is a Fender Bassman head and a 1977 Scully 8-track tape machine. Recording with a Scully 8-track is a fairly complicated and time-consuming way to record. Because we are dealing with tape, it is more challenging and there is pressure to get it right in one take. Using the Scully gives the score a unique sound; it gives it a raw, dirty sound similar to the way (blues) records were originally recorded.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...db667edb30?pn=1