Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hancock: master thread

MissAshley

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Here's Charlize Theron talking about "Hancock" with MTV. http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1583375/story.jhtml

MTV: I'm pretty excited to see "Hancock" this summer. You and Will Smith in a unique take on a superhero story. Rumor has it that you get some superhero action in it.

Theron: Oh, I get superhero action! Oh, yeah.

MTV: I meant, are you a superhero at any point?

Theron: Oh, no. I just get some superhero action. That's much better than being a superhero. And superhero action by Will Smith? You can't get any better than that. I was like, where do I sign? I just recently saw it. It's really an original film. [Director] Peter Berg really did something that I haven't seen before, so I'm very excited to be a part of it. I love it. It kind of flips off the whole idea of genre. You couldn't categorize it into any genre.

Edited by Radewart

Crave Online: Was it fun to go play in a big budget Hollywood movie like Hancock after doing something like this where you were so emotionally invested in every aspect?

Charlize Theron: You know what’s strange? It’s not about budget. Until you kind of drive up to the set and you see more people and bigger trailers and the food is maybe better, that’s really the only difference because at the end of the day that material was incredibly challenging. I still don’t even know how to talk about it. I just recently saw it two days ago and I actually had to call Will [smith] and I was like, "I don’t even know what to say about this movie because it’s going to sound so pretentious but it’s the most original thing I’ve ever seen in my entire life.

Crave Online: What’s the tone of it?

Charlize Theron: I couldn’t tell you. It literally almost gives the middle finger to genre. I mean ,it’s really quite brilliant and Akiva [Goldsman] did a brilliant job, Pete [berg] did a great job, Will is fantastic in it, but it is one of the most original pieces of work I’ve ever seen. I knew when we were shooting it there were days I looked at Will and I was like what the hell are we doing because I don’t even know what is going on right now. And Pete kind of creates that environment and for some reason it just worked really well with that material. It’s brilliant.

Crave Online: Does he do his handheld type of camera work in it?

Charlize Theron: Yeah.

Crave Online: Were you worried about playing the superhero's girlfriend?

Charlize Theron: Actually, I'm not his girlfriend. It could so easily sound like a little summer blockbuster but it's actually got a lot of weight to it. That's why I wanted to do it. It happens to be a big budget film and big star like Will Smith, but it actually has a lot of weight to it. It was very smart and very intelligent and had this kind of historical element to it that I was fascinated by. It's not silly, it's not stupid. It's fun but I think it's smart. I think Akiva writes really interesting material and there you have it.

Crave Online: Were you nervous about doing another superhero movie after you've done Aeon Flux?

Charlize Theron: No, it's all different. Genre based, I don't believe in that. It's two completely different stories. It's completely, completely different. They're all different in different ways. They're all challenging in different ways. I find John Hancock a challenge because it's not something that I'm familiar with. It's not a comfort zone for me. You throw me in a drama and I know I can swim. I like the idea of doing this and looking at Will and going, "I don't know, Men in Black IV, you tell me. I don't do these." So I like that challenge. What I love about this piece is it really crosses over so many different genres. It's really interesting to shoot out of continuity and to figure out where you're hitting what because it's not just silly comedy. I love Jason Bateman and I thought it was a really well written piece that wasn't just fluff. There was a real intelligence to it yet it was fun but it was smart, complicated, had a lot of conflict. I don't see a lot of that come fourth of July. I liked it.

Source: http://www.craveonline.com/articles/filmtv...eepwalking.html

Men in Black IV? Please, no... :lolsign:

• Admin

I like what Charlize is saying.. Basically what Peter Berg does is he creates drama..very real life dramatic moments in whatever story he tells.. So this certainly isn't going to be a silly comedy.. I can't wait, could be Will's best movie believe it or not.

I have very high hopes for this movie. It could be great and after reading what Charlize said it sounds even more intresting. I mean, I dont think she would say that the movie was one of the most original thing she's ever seen in her entire life if it was just another comedy/action flick. So if it is as original as she makes it sound, then it could be one of wills best movies.

everything she's saying really contradicts that first trailer, it looks like they're trying to sell it as a silly comedy, and it seems like that's what most people are expecting, so maybe they're marketing the film like that for a reason? This is his first movie in a while I just can't seem to get excited about, because it does look really silly to me. I think if it's as deep and original as she's saying the trailer is very misleading. (I know you can't always go by a trailer)

everything she's saying really contradicts that first trailer, it looks like they're trying to sell it as a silly comedy, and it seems like that's what most people are expecting, so maybe they're marketing the film like that for a reason? This is his first movie in a while I just can't seem to get excited about, because it does look really silly to me. I think if it's as deep and original as she's saying the trailer is very misleading. (I know you can't always go by a trailer)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Judging by the trailer this is just a silly comedy, and certainly one of Will's worst movies.