Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hancock: master thread

MissAshley

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Smith Plays Homeless, Flip-Flop-Wearing Superhero In 'Hancock'

BEVERLY HILLS, California — You might be up on the latest action-movie news regarding "Iron Man," "Justice League of America" and "Watchmen," but have you heard about that other superhero? The alcoholic, homeless guy in the flip-flops? If not, it might be time to put Will Smith's postmodern comic flick on your radar, because it could be on the verge of creating another "John Hancock" revolution.

"We're halfway through it right now," explained director Peter Berg this week, giving us some exclusive details on the film. "Will Smith plays an alcoholic, suicidal superhero [whose actions are] destroying the city of Los Angeles, and he's trying to rehabilitate his image."

"It comes out next summer," added Daeg Faerch, the young actor who landed a role in the flick after he was chosen to star in "Halloween" as the young Michael Myers. "It was called 'Tonight, He Comes,' but now it's called 'John Hancock' because he's a drunk and [when a fan] asks him for his John Hancock, he signs it 'John Hancock.' "

Currently shooting around Los Angeles, the big-budget film — which has also been known simply as "Hancock," but whose title is still up in the air — puts Smith alongside Charlize Theron and Jason Bateman in a dark story that explores the flipside of being a superhero. So if the Venom-suited scenes from "Spider-Man 3" or the peanut-flicking bar moment in "Superman III" were among your favorites, "John Hancock" has your name written all over it.

"Will plays a down-and-out superhero — a drunk, homeless superhero that the [public] doesn't like because he's so drunk that when he solves crime, he creates a lot of collateral damage," Bateman explained of the movie, which has been dangling Smith on wires 50 feet over L.A. streets. "Early in the film he saves my life, and I say to pay him back I'll revamp his image for him because I'm in corporate PR. We're well into that, and I'm buying him a cape and telling him how to do news conferences and all that crap — and then he falls for my wife, Charlize Theron."

"There's a real intelligence to it," said Theron, who reportedly has some steamy scenes with Smith. "[The script] was fun yet smart, complicated [and] had a lot of conflict. I don't see a lot of that coming from Fourth of July movies. I like that."

While the "Pursuit of Happyness" star certainly has the build to play a high-flying hero, don't start imagining him in tights just yet. "He wears, for the most part, a pair of old ratty surf shorts, an old 1958 Philadelphia Eagles hat, a T-shirt and flip-flops," said Berg, promising he'll make the character seem very real.

"I'm a French punk who cuts him off," Faerch said. "He throws me into outer space."

When asked what kind of powers Smith's character has, Bateman replied, "He's got 'em all. He's like Spider-Man, Superman and whatever. He's the kind of superhero that we all live with, like in 'Spider-Man' and 'Superman,' where it's a normal world but he's just one guy that has superhero powers."

Originally written in 1996 and coinciding with Hollywood's blossoming love affair with comic books, "Hancock/ John Hancock/ Tonight, He Comes" has passed through the directorial hands of everyone from Tony Scott ("True Romance") to Michael Mann ("Heat") to Jonathan Mostow ("Terminator 3") and more. Behind-the-scenes talents had various takes on which of two directions the flick should go for it to properly send up the modern superhero: silly (à la "Mystery Men") or serious (like "Watchmen").

Berg, however, saw the script as something in between. "I don't think it's either. It's a pretty straightforward superhero film," he said. "We're introducing a new superhero; it's just that he's got some problems. But at its core, this is an attempt to create a brand-new superhero."

"It's got a lot of interesting, different tones — it's action, it's drama, it's comedy," Bateman agreed. "And with Pete Berg directing it, they definitely wanted to embrace those multiple tones, as opposed to having somebody come in to just deliver this popcorn, commercial film. I hope, I think, it feels like we're executing and delivering them well — it won't just be a typical summer popcorn movie, but it will hold up to high-brow scrutiny."

"I find 'John Hancock' a challenge because it's not something I'm familiar with; it's not a comfort zone with me," Theron said of her work on the set so far. "You throw me in a drama, and I know I can swim — but I like the idea of doing this and looking at Will and saying, 'I don't know, "Men in Black 4," you tell me [how to do it]. I don't do these!' "

"Charlize Theron and I know each other from 'Arrested Development,' so we're getting along incredibly well," Bateman said of the Oscar winner who had a brief story arc on his now-defunct ratings-challenged TV show. "And Will Smith — the guy could run for mayor, governor and president, and I'd vote for all three of them."

"It's a really well-written piece that isn't just fluff," Theron promised. "And it's not just silly comedy. There's a lot of really, really heavy stuff in this."

Whatever the film is eventually called, it will simultaneously soar and stumble into theaters on July 2.

This report is from MTV News.

http://www.vh1.com/movies/news/articles/15...tner=rssMozilla

Edited by Ale

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO INTERVIEW: Jason Bateman and Peter Berg Discuss Hancock

While conducting interviews with Jason Bateman and Peter Berg about their exceptional new film The Kingdom, I was able to get both the actor and the director to spill a little bit about their upcoming Will Smith starring superhero flick, Hancock.

Peter Berg is directing the film, which revolves around a hard-living superhero (Smith) who has fallen out of favor with the public. He enters into a questionable relationship with the wife ( Charlize Theron) of a public relations professional (played by Bateman) who's trying to repair his image. The film is going to be huge, as it marks Smith's return to the Independence day holiday, and should help him regain his title as Mr. July 4th.

Click below for our exclusive video...

http://www.superheroflix.com/news/90/22590.php

:signthankspin: once again, i don't know what to think about this movie. But if Typhoon says it isn't gonna be a 2nd WWW I believe him!! :thumbsup:

Trust him, it's not gonna be a 2nd WWW. The original script is known for being one of the best never produced (until now) scripts in Hollywood. I just hope they didn't mess around with rewrites done by Akiva Goldsman, John August and Peter Berg... I also think Berg is a great director, so, can't wait! I hope the movie's still gonna have that bizarre, dark and twisted style the original script had...

Sony, don't sweeten this baby for family audiences... pleeeaase!

Anyway, I don't know. I Am Legend (if not dumbed down) and Hancock seem like the best stuff Will has done in a while.

Edited by fabman

Smith & Theron shut down Hollywood

Will Smith and Charlize Theron's new action film continues to wreak havoc on Los Angeles traffic after taking over a block of Hollywood Boulevard.

After causing major traffic disruption late last month (Aug07) when producers shut down a large section of the 105 freeway to shoot a chase sequence, the film, John Hancock, has moved to the heart of Hollywood.

The famous boulevard was shut down for three days early on Monday (10Sep07) - and that was bad news for busy commuters who use the area for work.

One angry driver tells WENN, "It's bad enough when there's a major premiere on Hollywood Boulevard - that snarls up the traffic. But for three days!

"Not everyone in this town is a tourist or a member of the film industry."

http://www.actressarchives.com/news.php?id=7892

Will Smith found lying in crater!
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Will Smith found himself lying in a crater in the road for his new film Hancock.

But it seems Smith, 38, is falling out of favour with the ordinary folk of Tinseltown.

As the scenes were filmed disgruntled drivers beeped their horns down the road.

The superstar actor is said to have casued traffic chaos as a whole block of main thoroughfare Hollywood Boulevard has been closed for three days to allow filming on his latest movie.

One local resident said: "It's bad enough when there's a major premiere on Hollywood Boulevard -that snarls up the traffic.

"But for three days! Not everyone in this town is a tourist or a member of the film industry."

Last month similar disruption was caused when a section of the 105 freeway was closed for the movie production.

Hancock features Oscar winner Charlize Theron in the female lead.

Smith plays the title role, a hard-living superhero that has fallen out of favour with the public.

He enters into a questionable relationship with the wife (Theron) of the public relations professional (Jason Bateman) who's trying to repair his image.

The film is set for release next summer and is tipped as one of the blockbusters of 2008.

http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?i...mp;in_page_id=7

Edited by Ale

New Hancock Set Photos!

Source: ComingSoon.net
September 11, 2007

Will Smith and Charlize Theron were spotted filming superhero action drama Hancock on Hollywood Blvd yesterday, September 10th. Opening July 2, the Peter Berg-directed film centers on a tortured superhero (Smith) who crash-lands in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, and tries to transform himself by romancing an alluring housewife (Theron), causing chaos in the city.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37143

Edited by Ale

VIDEO!!!

Looks like Will Smith's forthcoming vehicle Hancock is going to be awwwwwwesome - just check out all the action we caught yesterday! In addition to a dazed-looking Smith climbing out of a giant hole in the ground, we also caught him in the heat of an intense argument with a scantily-clad Charlize Theron. (Frankly, we're surprised Will was even able to get his lines out - his co-star was lookin' hot!)

http://x17online.com/celebrities/will_smith/holy_crap.php

:clap2:

Edited by Ale