JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Vibe Reviews LL Cool J "Exit 13" album

bigted

Welcome back Turntable, it's good to see you back! Now I don't think LL has ever compromised or sold himself out, he's stayed true to the game, each album he put out has it's own meaning and purpose, some are better than others of course, fans are gonna have their own preference but LL has put his heart and effort into what he's done, I'm not speaking about you AJ you're entitled to your opinion but in general I notice most fans are fickle so it's hard for an artist to please them after awhile... Now he wanted to give a lot of unknown producers a chance to get their shine on with this album as well rather than just have a bunch of big names produce his album, he also got that boomdizzle.com site trying to get some new mcs in the game, I don't think that's selling out.... Anyway come to think of it LL never really had big 1st week numbers and neither has FP, they usually start off slow but their sales stay consistant through word of mouth so I'm really that worried 'cause it's a great album and the fans will buy it gradually, I mean who knows maybe we'll look in a few months and notice that this is LL's 'Big Willie Style'(that only sold 50,000 in the 1st week I think and went on to be one of the highest selling albums in rap history) Ultimately though I'd love to see a great album sell a million in the 1st week, something has to give, btw JJFP should jump on that tour with LL and Janet...

Edited by bigted

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be awesome Bigted, but he gave up on music...

Yeah but a brother could dream though and it's unlikely that "Exit 13" will turn out like "Big Willie Style" 'cause people don't buy records like that anymore, basically the music industry's like the movie industry now where if you don't do well in your 1st week you're gonna fail, that's why today's a sad day to hear LL had a weak 1st week sales and more than likely this might be his last tour, I see him moving more towards being a record executive in the next few years, that's why he's trying to bring new mcs in the game with his website, the only collab him and FP might do is in a film and maybe a song on a soundtrack if we're lucky, they both accomplished more than most ever had so I can't be mad at all but all good things must come to an end, we likely seen the end of the GOATs and if we've had it's been a hell of a run, "Exit 13" might go down as an underappreciated album like FP's "Lost and Found" has been.... Now on another note speaking of Kardinal Official, I was able to check out his dope freestyle he did on Rap City today, it was awesome, damn shame his album flopped too, he mad talented dude...

Edited by bigted

Its really a shame that he only sold 43K in his first week. Personally, I really like this album, it has a more aggressive tone and is much more well-rounded than his last few albums. On another note, how is Tha Carter III still selling so much, it doesn't make sense.

That's one thing I don't get either, I don't understand with the way the economy is why would this many people run out and waste money buying an album with a bunch of garbage on it :shakehead:

LL's saying in a blog that his 1st week sales might be low 'cause Def Jam might've not have sent enough copies to the stores since he's been hearing a lot of people telling him they couldn't find the album when they went to the store:

http://youngandthefly.blogspot.com/2008/09...es-low-due.html

That's ridiculous...he helped to build Def Jam and they supported him every time in his career! Now of all sudden if its albums flops and he can't blame it on Jay-Z, Def Jam is guilty??? LL must lost his mind! According to sohh.com Nelly will do similar numbers and he once went 9x plat with Country Grammar. Hip Hop sales are a shame nowadays, but hopefully art will get more attention than mainstream gimmicks.

Edited by Jin

I agree that the quality of music should be the main focus instead of gimmicks, that's been the main problem with the rap game over the years, btw I heard Janet's leaving Def Jam too now and might sign with Live Nation