JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Vibe Reviews LL Cool J "Exit 13" album

bigted

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, i think this is his weakest album. The focus isn't the strong. He's compromised his sound and style 2 have an album that will get attention from a male and more mainstream audience.

Personally, i think this is his weakest album. The focus isn't the strong. He's compromised his sound and style 2 have an album that will get attention from a male and more mainstream audience.

The Definition and 10 were much more compromised for the mainstream than this one. And Todd Smith was realy for a femal audience, so the only thing that makes sence is doing something for males onces again. I've been bumping The G.O.A.T. since 7 years now, its getting old, so I'm happy bout this one. But I get what you say about that it does not flow. But in the I-Pod generation it doesnt have to anymore I guess, caus most just gonna put all the songs they like on ther pod and listen to them randomly.

Thats what i hate about the changing world.

This ipod generation crap. An album should always be made as an album not as 12 songs just thrown together. With attitudes like that the music is gonna suffer.

That's sad to hear that LL only sold 43,000 in his first week, Ice Cube's album didn't sell much in the first week either he only sold 60,000 I think, it's sad to see fans abandon these consistant legends while that Lil' Wayne crap sells so much, Nas is right hip hop is dead :thumbdown: On a more positive note here I heard that LL's gonna be touring with Janet Jackson, that's something that I'd love to see

Edited by bigted

@ Kev: I didnt say its good, but I guess it is the future. If something doesnt change fast I guess soon theyr aint no cd's no more anyway. The fact that exit 13 the past two weeks has been the best selling hip hop album after Wayne and Jeezy make 46k even more frightning.

I don't feel LL's last 2 albums were compromised at all. LL seemed comfortable with them. Lyrically he was at home. Maybe a little 2 comfortable but comfortable none the less. He wasn't letting the commercial scene effect his music. I understand that LL is doing something for the fellas, which i appriciate, but he has totally compromised on this album. He shared in past interviews that as a man of God, he didn't wanna cuss in his music anymore. He made that effort and executed it. He said in interviews. "I don't care if i sell less, I'm not gonna make explict records anymore." After 7 years of cleaned up lyrics, i don't think LL is convincing and comfortable making some of the records. I'm one of his biggest fans. I listened 2 those last 3 records non-stop....and still do. My main issue is the production. Half of it is not good at all. It's the kinda crap u hear on the radio. It's not his style or his sound. That's compromising 2 me. That's selling out. And the fact that he did it and didn't have a huge debuting week makes it even more sad.

Ice Cube's record suffers from the same wack production. Last night i was watching "Ice Cube: The Videos Vol. 1" and was reminded just how dope his solo work was up until 2000ish. I haven't listened 2 his new record since the week it came out. I'm probably gonna pick up Ice Cube's "The Essentials" album that he just dropped Tuesday even tho' i have most of the stuff on it. We all know i support the legends. I hate the crap on the radio with a passion. I love the old school...i love the early and the mid 90's...and even some of the late 90's but i can't totally back some of my favorite emcees when they are compromising their music 2 stay "relevant" 2 the mainstream. FP needs 2 come back and show them how it should be done.

Sorry. I feel what your saying about the production. And I was suprised about the cursing too. I dont mind cursing, but what I was confused caus of what he said during Todd Smith. I found it kinda weird how he makes a song like Ringtone Murder and then follows up with Like A Radio, which is a Ringtone song really. Wackest song on the album I think.