JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

McCain Chooses Palin As Running Mate

bigted

I see both sides of the abortion issue...I'm not religious at all but I'm against murder at any cost. But not enough scientific evidence has convinced me on the pro life side of things...in Texas all I've had are right wing religious groups trying to manipulate data to push their agenda on you. But I'm definitely not decisive enough to say that a fetus is not a living thing. I usually tend to support pro choice candidates though, due to them having similar opinions with me on other issues...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, someone needs to explain to the McCain aids what sexism is:

"I am appalled by the Obama campaign's attempts to belittle Governor Sarah Palin’s experience..." and "...They will not tolerate sexist treatment of Governor Palin."

I mean, attacking someones lack of experience is sexism? How can you say that in public with a straight face? Apparently McCain's not only sexist but confused as to Obama's gender.

the most scary part of all this, if they manage to win the election, John McCain is like 106 years old, now i'm not wishing anything bad on the guy, but is she seriously who people would want running this country if that man dies?

Schnazz, I think they're just trying to deflect from the fact that much of McCain's criticism of Obama was about his inexperience, but when the tables are turned it's like hey she's woman we can throw out the "sexism" card, then the idiots aren't even using it in the right context. She's supposedly a feminist, but making her kid have a shotgun wedding? way to set us women back 60 yrs. :shakehead:

All I've heard about her husband the "first dude" as he's called in Alaska (where STDS are apparently running rampant) is that he likes snowmobiles and sh**, but here they are with a son going to Iraq, a daughter pregnant @ 17 and engaged to be married to a self proclaimed redneck who doesn't want kids (but it's myspace so you never know) , not to mention a special needs child she gave birth to then went back to work three days later, but she swears he's the best-most-hands-on-daddy out there, dude better be friggin' Father of the Year b/c I'm really wondering where mommy's priorities lie.

oh and I call BS on McCain knowing that girl was pregnant, and if he did in fact, why wait for her mother to throw her under the bus? Politics aside I think there's too much about this woman's character that's shady, apparently she's known for abusing her power back in Alaska concerning stuff with family members, i'm with the OP...wtf was he thinking?

First for Max:

It is not the only litmus, but a litmus, yes.

But it is THE litmus for someone like me, who believes it is a life. Regarding the Senate...we saw how McCain was able to get the gang of 14 congressmen to get through an agreement on the judges.

Obama would push for the respect of choice, McCain for the respect of life.

And as long as Roe v Wade is upheld, I will vote for candidates who will appoint pro-life judges.

And ash trey,

For me, a separate human DNA sequence is all I need to recognize human life.

It's a tough issue for some. For me, it's the clearest issue.

Well, as a Doctor I can see the importance of the abortion topic. In my country abortion is highly illegal. In here u can get up to 30 years as a doctor just for suggest it. The problem? Girls in here practice abortion in their houses, using pills, using drinks, using even forks and dangerous instruments. The results? We in here have a high rate of women dying and infected and in sepsis and admitted in hospitals everywhere. Yeah, it is highly illegal, butt here are clandestine houses, in secret that practice it illegaly and without the norms of hygine and antisepsis that are required and more and more girls are dying everyday. As a Catholic Im agaisnt abortion and period. But everyday when I see kids abandoned in the hospitals in here because their moms cannot take care of them. Everytime I see some girl get raped and nearly killed and then pregnant, and their families dump them out of them houses and they have the babies in the streets and you see 3 year olds asking for money in the redlights and streets. Then there u ask if it is the best to continue just prohibiting it...

I get that, and we certainly can't say that the right alternatives have been funded.

When it comes down to it though, if someone does something trying to kill another person, I don't give that person a legal means to do it just because he/she is endangering his/her own life.

I get that, and we certainly can't say that the right alternatives have been funded.

When it comes down to it though, if someone does something trying to kill another person, I don't give that person a legal means to do it just because he/she is endangering his/her own life.

Bob, I'm just as much against abortion as you are, but I can't help but approach this issue with a certain level of practicality. Are you aware that if Roe v. Wade is overturned, abortion will remain legal in the vast majority of states in the US? The 10th ammendment states that powers not given to the country will be reserved to the states. It isn't enough to just try to change the law... the hearts, minds and practices of people need to be addressed. It's a much more deep seated issue than just the law. Ok, so we've removed the legality of abortion on the federal level, but it's still legal on the state level... have we done anthing to reduced the number of unwanted pregnancies that lead to abortion?

Obama has put forward plans to educate people and reduce the number of unplanned and unwanted pregnancies that lead to abortion. I'm not hearing anything like that from the McCain campaign, and that is highly distressing. If you really want to do away with abortion, you need to attack the root of the problem. It makes me question the right's committment to really ending abortion when they only focus on the law and not the hearts and minds of the people that need to change.

Well, as a Doctor I can see the importance of the abortion topic. In my country abortion is highly illegal. In here u can get up to 30 years as a doctor just for suggest it. The problem? Girls in here practice abortion in their houses, using pills, using drinks, using even forks and dangerous instruments. The results? We in here have a high rate of women dying and infected and in sepsis and admitted in hospitals everywhere. Yeah, it is highly illegal, butt here are clandestine houses, in secret that practice it illegaly and without the norms of hygine and antisepsis that are required and more and more girls are dying everyday. As a Catholic Im agaisnt abortion and period. But everyday when I see kids abandoned in the hospitals in here because their moms cannot take care of them. Everytime I see some girl get raped and nearly killed and then pregnant, and their families dump them out of them houses and they have the babies in the streets and you see 3 year olds asking for money in the redlights and streets. Then there u ask if it is the best to continue just prohibiting it...

Yeah, you have to have policies to deal with the underlying issue, or what you've described will take place rampantly. I understand Bob's viewpoint... it's one that I sometimes revert to... But I've come to the conclusion that unless additional measures are taken, it won't bring about real change.

• Admin

I'm against abortion as well but I don't think making it illegal solves anything. Certainly hasn't solved the drug problem. There needs to be a greater respect for human life and greater acceptance of responsibility. I'm not American so my reasons for wanting Obama to win 1.The world will be a safer place. Bush's foreign policy has been a disaster 2. I believe the democrats are more likely to get the american economy back on track. When the US economy falters it effects us right here.

I like McCain but he has clearly sold out to the conversatives in the republican party lately. He should of chose liberman as VP. Palin was a horrible choice.

I saw Obama is on O'reilly this thursday.. should be interesting viewing :1-say-yes:

As simple as it sounds, I agree with Chris Rock that everyone that makes up his mind about a subject without listening to the issues, its a f.. idiot.. And theres always two sides to a story. Saying that u are against the war surely will get u some votes, but will u be able to stop it once u win? Saying that u are pro life and against abortion its truly incredible. But will u change that when u win? Will u even propose it? Thats the thing about politics..

Bob, I'm just as much against abortion as you are, but I can't help but approach this issue with a certain level of practicality. Are you aware that if Roe v. Wade is overturned, abortion will remain legal in the vast majority of states in the US? The 10th ammendment states that powers not given to the country will be reserved to the states. It isn't enough to just try to change the law... the hearts, minds and practices of people need to be addressed. It's a much more deep seated issue than just the law. Ok, so we've removed the legality of abortion on the federal level, but it's still legal on the state level... have we done anthing to reduced the number of unwanted pregnancies that lead to abortion?

Obama has put forward plans to educate people and reduce the number of unplanned and unwanted pregnancies that lead to abortion. I'm not hearing anything like that from the McCain campaign, and that is highly distressing. If you really want to do away with abortion, you need to attack the root of the problem. It makes me question the right's committment to really ending abortion when they only focus on the law and not the hearts and minds of the people that need to change.

I understand exactly what you are saying. The reality is, it is a long process that won't be automatically cleared with the Roe v Wade overturn. It's a deliberation, and long, arduous process. For a pro-life person like myself, I'm not doing enough to make the neccessary changes if I don't vote for the first steps. Martin Luther King had all the roadblocks in his way, like the legislative process at Washington, yet his work helped make the foundation for eventual legislation (Hillary Clinton mentioned that months ago and got flack for it, but there is truth that the movement could only go so far without the Congressional moves).

I agree 100% that Republicans mandate without giving the proper funding/plans, etc. That's why I love Senator Bob Casey (Democrat-PA) who supports the Democrats For Life "Pregnant Women Support Act" that would help eliminate the root problems (and he also supports the overturn of Roe v Wade). Unfortunately though, allowing a legal system that supports the killing of a distinct human life different than your own, is inherently corrupting the very foundations of goverment: to protect the innocent.

It needs to be a concerted effort, but I can't sit here and be fine with a legal system put in place for people to commit robberies (since they'll do it anyway and may be impoverished due to a corrupt, racially biased institution). This analogy is light, considering a robbery does not come close to the ending of a life.

I get everything you say. And I think Obama has shown to be the first Democrat to say "I get it" when asked about this divisive issue. He said, "Look, I've always said that if you believe life begins at conception, and you are consistent in that belief, then I can't argue with you. I recognize that there will be people, of faith or conviction, that will not be able to consciously vote for me due to my stance on abortion."

^That made it even harder for me to not vote for him, since he's one of the most nuanced, intelligent, thoughtful, and patient candidates we've had in my lifetime.

McCain is not..

Now that's not true. He is very knowledgable and has worked across party lines.

Obama has the scholarly advantage. He was the editor of Harvard's distinguised review. That's one of the top academic positions in the world.

This doesn't mean McCain isn't knowledgable nor equipped to lead. He's shown great character in tackling global warming, campaign finance reform, torture, congressional standoffs on judge appointments, etc...

He's been in war, so he knows the dynamics of war, of troop morale, and of dealing with a gorilla enemy.

Joe Lieberman made the best case I've heard yet. I suggest you listen to it, as this is the same man who ran with Gore in 2000. Lieberman knows that McCain gets things done, and doesn't do what works just for his party.

"I have personally seen John, over and over again, bring people together from both parties to tackle our toughest problems we face - to reform our campaign finance, lobbying and ethics laws, to create the 9/11 Commission and pass its critical national security reforms, and to end the partisan paralysis over judicial confirmations.

My Democratic friends know all about John's record of independence and accomplishment.

Maybe that's why some of them are spending so much time and so much money trying to convince voters that John McCain is someone else.

I'm here, as a Democrat myself, to tell you: don't be fooled.

God only made one John McCain, and he is his own man.

If John McCain was just another go-along partisan politician, he never would have taken on corrupt Republican lobbyists, or big corporations that were cheating the American people, or powerful colleagues in Congress who were wasting taxpayer money.

But he did!

If John McCain was just another go-along partisan politician, he never would have led the fight to fix our broken immigration system or to do something about global warming.

But he did!

As a matter of fact, if John McCain is just another partisan Republican, then I'm Michael Moore's favorite Democrat.

And I'm not."