JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

L.A.X Album review from about.com

VIsqo

On "Ya Heard," Game rediscovers his sense of humor and recruits Ludacris to assist in the light-hearted intermission from his otherwise mostly grim offerings. After a brief and plain verse, Game steps aside and unintentionally allows his guest to outshine him for the first time by a guest. Luda's clever wordplay is a welcome departure from Game's occasional monotony. Curiously, Game again appears to mimic the delivery of a guest on his album to -- in his own words -- "break it down for my n****as in the South."

:wiggle:

Rapper whose lyricism can range from mediocre to pretty good...not particularly intelligent...but can make himself sound smart on record. He's got some good production / guest appearances ...the end product is quite tolerable, with some really good tracks...

Edited by ash trey

Continuing on his Southern journey, Ludacris jumps on ‘Ya Heard.’ Outfitted with an old school sample of Newcleus’ ‘Jam On It,’ Luda uses his clever wit, and comes up with lines like, “Only that Cali Kush, smokin’ like a muffler/so many red flags, I could’ve swear I was in Russia.”

Nottz returns to flip Newcleus's "Jam On It" into a Dilla-inspired "Ya Heard." One of the better beats on the album, it provides the energetic lift needed to really allow you to enjoy L.A.X. Ludacris guest stars on the track and outshines The Game with a montage of witty barbs that leaves the Cali King sticking to his formulaic approach (name dropping, Dre, 50 dis - get the picture?).

Best sample flip: Newcleus’ “Jam On It” in “Ya Heard”… Nottz flipped the hell out that track!

8. Ya Heard ft. Ludacris (prod by Nottz)

Over a cut up classic Newcleus bassline, Nottz brings us a futuristic soundscape with a pure Cali feel. Unfortunately for Game, he has a tough time riding over the track: it rides over him. Luckily, guest Ludacris shows us how it should be done. His larger-than-life mic presence buts this choppy track firmly in its place.

Edited by Cozmo D

my friend told me about one of the tracks concepts and ithought it was cool as hell

apparently track 15 "can never say goodbye"

is about him rapping from the perspective of biggie, pac and easy e on the nights that they died... thats a really cool idea to me.

Continuing on his Southern journey, Ludacris jumps on ‘Ya Heard.’ Outfitted with an old school sample of Newcleus’ ‘Jam On It,’ Luda uses his clever wit, and comes up with lines like, “Only that Cali Kush, smokin’ like a muffler/so many red flags, I could’ve swear I was in Russia.”

Nottz returns to flip Newcleus's "Jam On It" into a Dilla-inspired "Ya Heard." One of the better beats on the album, it provides the energetic lift needed to really allow you to enjoy L.A.X. Ludacris guest stars on the track and outshines The Game with a montage of witty barbs that leaves the Cali King sticking to his formulaic approach (name dropping, Dre, 50 dis - get the picture?).

Best sample flip: Newcleus’ “Jam On It” in “Ya Heard”… Nottz flipped the hell out that track!

8. Ya Heard ft. Ludacris (prod by Nottz)

Over a cut up classic Newcleus bassline, Nottz brings us a futuristic soundscape with a pure Cali feel. Unfortunately for Game, he has a tough time riding over the track: it rides over him. Luckily, guest Ludacris shows us how it should be done. His larger-than-life mic presence buts this choppy track firmly in its place.

my fav track

Well, theres an opinnion.. Any other? Bob?

I've been mute on this album for some time...I had it a few weeks back and was going to review, but i'm still undecided on it.

When I got ahold of the album, I was in a "hold onto summer" mentality so of course I'm riding "Dope Boys", "Games Pain", "Cali Sunshine", "Ya Heard", "Angel" more than any other.

"Letter to the King" is something special, and "My life", "Let us live" are good too. I cannot stand the beat to "Never say goodbye" so its so hard to get into the song.

Furthermore, I absolutely have no respect for DMX and his faux religious attitude. Sorry if that offends, but I feel he manipulates prayer as an excuse for the content.

Mostly everyone mentioned what I've thought, although "State of Emergency" is nice and "House of Pain" is garbage. And lil wayne has no place singing.

Idk, maybe I'm burnt out from Nas going so deep, but L.A.X feels like a feel good album minus a couple serious tracks and a few whhhhhhack tracks.

Rhyme-wise, it was Ok. I love Angel, Games Pain, Dope Boys, Ya Heard and Letter to the King. "Gentlemen's Affair", "Money", "LAX" are decent at their very best.

So, yea, Game should step it up. Compared to the rest of the music industry, GREAT album, but like others said, that doesn't mean much. I don't think it was a huge step up from the Doctor's Advocate, or at least not in the same way I think Doctor's Advocate topped the Documentary.

Game even said it, he needs beef to get attention on his record...

3.75/5 stars

I personally wasn't feeling Game that much when he came out 'cause of he was beefing too much but really I've been feeling how he's grown into a better artist over recent times, I'm definately gonna check this album when I get a chance