JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

EMINEM A THREAT?

diehardwill

• Members
:what: accordin to mtv news, eminem will be dropping his 4th solo album, 'encore' on november 16. now there is a lot of history here. i'm lookin at this from a commercial aspect. in 2002, will and em released albums in the month of june (em released his first) and em's album became the best selling that year, all over the world. em burst into the scene in '99, and he released his debut effort b4 willennium was released that year.

while he was still being appreciated, that's em, will was already big. due to movie schedules, will wasn't to drop another album until 'btr' and em had already hit it big with his sopho effort 'marshall mathers lp'. which brings me back to the future. will said the album release date was nov. (am i right?). should he release b4 em's arrival or after.

i'm saying this cause will used the strategy in the movies this year. i, robot was to be released the same week as spiderman 2. but 'robot was pushed 2 weeks up front cause if 'robot had been released the same week (will even acknowledged this), 'robot wouldn't have done so good. spidey 2 was the most anticipated movie this year.

and em's album in 2 and a half years is gonna be big. so what y'all think. is em a threat to will's album commercially? and i don't mean to undermine will b4 em, but guy's we should look at the reality here; em's big! Edited by diehardwill

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:werd: You're right for the mainstream this Eminem is a major threat but if a lot of people like "Switch" it won't mean much of a difference, but I don't think Will should change the release date 'cause Eminem's droppin', there's gonna come a time when those fans who bought Eminem's previous albums turn their back on him, so that means that Will should ignore Eminem and just drop the album whenever he wants to drop it, the people have to make a choice what album they want and if they buy Eminem's album so be it, it doesn't take anything away from Will.

I agree that it would be an issue sales-wise. But wasn't Switch supposed to be out by now? The album might be out a little later as well. But releasing it a little later isn't going to help. Releasing it before Eminem's album would be the smartest thing to do if you were worried about sales this time around.

What needs to happen is Will needs to choose singles wisely. Switch needs to be SEEN by people. Nod Ya Head was on ALL the time in the Summer of 02. Yet 1,000 Kisses got nothing. Some of you were able to catch it on BET. The only time I could see it was on the computer with bad quality.

Anyway, people flock to singles. So if that's what he really wants. If he really just cares about sales he'll change the release date. But I don't think he should or will.

God Blessa!

Is Eminem a threat? Yes

Not good for Will. Will defintly need to choose his singles wisely. No soft stuff. Not for now anyway. I think he needs to drop another BWS type album where he had quite a few diss tracks. He needs to crank out the hits. In '02, Nod Ya Head faded quick. Maybe it was huge in the UK, but it wasn't too big of a hit here. BTR was ruined right from the start because it was rushed and Sony wanted it out so they could cross-promote it with MIB. If Born to Reign was dropped in the fall, maybe it woulda done better. This new album is Will's "make or break" album becuase he can't have two commercial failures in a row.

If "Switch" turns out to be another "Nod Ya Head"...Will's in trouble. Sadly, its not like the 90s where you could do your own style and it wouldn't get covered by another style like Ems. If I was Will, I'd make sure the songs with Kanye West get released as the next single, then Mary J's track with Will.

Also, tour! Eminem tours like a maniac so Will needs to promote this album Edited by DevilsJim89

Yes that's right ok, but u can't see this so hard man,
he can and should be a lil bit careful but I think he should do
what he wants to do and if it's a track like Nod Ya Head then it be.
He can drop his album and doesn't need to be sooo careful... :nhawong:
And if Eminem is going to say something to him,
then Will just can punch him out! :ali:

:lolsign: Edited by E - Style-Greesy - E

Is Eminem a threat commercially...yes. He has 100s of trailor parks and armys of white 14 year olds ready 2 line up 2 get the album. But FP doesn't exactly make music 4 the same people so it's not like people will be choosing 2 get one album and not the other.

Is Eminem a threat as a human being...NO. He's a 4 foot white kid with serious issues in the head and he whines more than Corey Fellben on A Surreal Life.

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Sep 2 2004, 04:42 PM]Is Eminem a threat commercially...yes. He has 100s of trailor parks and armys of white 14 year olds ready 2 line up 2 get the album. But FP doesn't exactly make music 4 the same people so it's not like people will be choosing 2 get one album and not the other.

Is Eminem a threat as a human being...NO. He's a 4 foot white kid with serious issues in the head and he whines more than Corey Fellben on A Surreal Life.[/quote]
'Sup with the "white" references? :dunno:

All I care is that Will's album's dope, if it's hot, people will buy it, he don't have to put out no gimmick single to sell records, Eminem can do whatever he wants, stop comparing Eminem with Will, Eminem can't be a serious threat to Will lyrically 'cause Will's been in the game for almost 20 years and it doesn't matter how much records he sells from this point on! :werd:

[quote=bigted,Sep 2 2004, 10:21 AM]All I care is that Will's album's dope, if it's hot, people will buy it, he don't have to put out no gimmick single to sell records, Eminem can do whatever he wants, stop comparing Eminem with Will, Eminem can't be a serious threat to Will lyrically 'cause Will's been in the game for almost 20 years and it doesn't matter how much records he sells from this point on! :werd:[/quote]
agreed. :werd:

I love how people say FP makes music for the white audience. That cracks me up considering Eminem had more 14 year old wigger kids then anything. They all walk around school thinkin they tough but if any of them had a gun to their head, they'd run like a lil kid. ha. nice job Em.

Maybe this is just me but if i was gonna by an album by two artists i wouldn't care if they came out at the same time anyway, I'd buy them both. I don't a time of release has much to do with sales, (except Chrimbo of course).

If people were gonna buy Will's album they shud buy it anyway even if Em's albums on the shelf next to it, they are not proper fans if they don't.

Lets be honest Will's album is not going to sell near what Eminem's is gonna sell in the first few months, even if Em's album is crap. Emine's album will be at the top of the charts as soon as its released even if it comes out before any singles. Thats just the way it is.

Will will have to fight to make his way to the top, lets hope he does

I don´t think Eminem is a threat, cause Eminem sell more records than Will.
That ´s a fact.Even if Will´s new record will be another BWS ( I hope it ) Eminem is most popular like music artist all around the world.
I don´t know what will happen in the US,but here in Spain Will never will sell more than Eminem.Not today or tomorrow.
In Spain like in other several countries Will is just considered like an actor who ocasionally sings.

• Members
i think the main issue is if will isn't very concerned about his album commercially. 'cause he's been there and done that. maybe this album is just to give his fans somethin' to jive to. but if he thinks otherwise, i think he should release far from when em's releasing his. it might not out-sell em's album, but it would do very well than if it was released maybe the same month. and what's up with the single? has he found a record label yet? 'switch' has to 'be it', just like 'yeah' was for usher and the wait isn't worth the while anymore.