Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Dark Knight Sets A Record!

TopDawg14

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

darkknightnr1.jpg

Haha! #1 now, that's crazy! I know it will go down, but I know this movie will not disappoint!

Edited by viber_91

I'm already upset that i didn't see the midnight showing when it 1st was showing. Well, i thought i waz FINALLY gonna see it 2nite but 2 my surprise, the girl i took out 2nite wanted 2 see another movie. That's right, i just gave my arm and a leg to see Mama Mia. If i die before i see The Dark Knight i'm gonna be seriously mad.

That's right, i just gave my arm and a leg to see Mama Mia.

Damn you, AJ....

.......NO, NO, NO. I just can't comprehend how that went down....

You say "I wanted to see The Dark Knight."

And then she says "Oh... I don't wanna see that. I wanna see Mama Mia!"

And then the screen cuts power! What happened in those seconds before you hit up the ticket box saying "Two for Mama Mia..." and the ticket taker charged you all of your pride...?

The right answer to her poor choice of movie was of course "No. We will be seeing The Dark Knight. Trust me, I know what's best here." But I'm sure you know that. I'm sure of it!

What I don't know is why you aren't in The Dark Knight fan club. We've got a lonely spot waiting for you, AJ...

I'm already upset that i didn't see the midnight showing when it 1st was showing. Well, i thought i waz FINALLY gonna see it 2nite but 2 my surprise, the girl i took out 2nite wanted 2 see another movie. That's right, i just gave my arm and a leg to see Mama Mia. If i die before i see The Dark Knight i'm gonna be seriously mad.

The gilr better be worth it to trade in TDK for a lame chick flick. No offence to Chick Flicks cos' there are some good ones out there. Cannot see Mamma Mia being it though

U both are saying what i would say if someone else had the same thing happen 2 them...ha ha. My estrogen was at an all time high when i left. I'm supposed 2 be rehearsing for my show after work...but i'm considering going 2 Batman instead. We'll see.

:::hangs head in shame:::

Dark Knight' sets weekend record with $155.34M

Sunday July 20 1:47 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) Batman has sent Spidey packing as king of Hollywood's box-office superheroes.

"The Dark Knight" took in a record $155.34 million in its first weekend, topping the previous best of $151.1 million for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007 and pacing Hollywood to its biggest weekend ever, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"We knew it would be big, but we never expected to dominate the marketplace like we did," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released "The Dark Knight." The movie should shoot past the $200 million mark by the end of the week, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hollywood set an overall revenue record of $253 million for a three-day weekend, beating the $218.4 million haul over the weekend of July 7, 2006, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

"This weekend is such a juggernaut," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal, whose musical "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 2 with $27.6 million.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday.

The movie's release was preceded by months of buzz and speculation over the performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, Batman's nemesis. Ledger, who died in January from an accidental prescription-drug overdose, played the Joker as a demonic presence, his performance prompting predictions that the role might earn him a posthumous Academy Award nomination.

"The average opening gross of the last five `Batman' movies is $47 million. This tripled that, and for a reason," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "A big part of that was the Heath Ledger mystique and a phenomenal performance that absolutely deserves the excitement surrounding it."

"The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan with his "Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, whose vigilante crime-fighter is taunted and tested by Ledger's Joker as the villain unleashes violence and chaos on the city of Gotham.

Overseas, "The Dark Knight" added $40 million in 20 countries where it began opening Wednesday, including Australia, Mexico and Brazil. The film opens in Great Britain this weekend and rolls out to most of the rest of the world over the next few weeks.

"The Dark Knight," which cost $185 million to make, also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

"Every single show is sold out," said Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president. "We're adding shows as much as we can, but we're at 100 percent capacity."

On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier.

The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million.

Women accounted for most of the audience for "Mamma Mia!", which Universal opened as counter-programming to the male-dominated audience for "The Dark Knight."

"With the crowded summer, we knew we would have to find the right weekend, and this seemed like the perfect one considering three-quarters of our audience was female," Rocco said.

Based on the stage musical set to the tunes of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" features Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski.

The weekend's other new wide release, 20th Century Fox's animated family flick "Space Chimps," opened at No. 7 with $7.4 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Dark Knight," $155.34 million.

2. "Mamma Mia!", $27.6 million.

3. "Hancock," $14 million.

4. "Journey to the Center of the Earth," $11.9 million.

5. "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," $10 million.

6. "WALL-E," $9.8 million.

7. "Space Chimps," $7.4 million.

8. "Wanted," $5.1 million.

9. "Get Smart," $4.1 million.

10. "Kung Fu Panda," $1.8 million.

___

On the Net:

http://www.mediabynumbers.com

The Dark Knight Shatters Box Office Record!!!

Pretty much everyone knew that The Dark Knight would be the #1 movie this weekend. What analysts didn't expect was for it to break box office records. The Dark Knight shattered the competition on its way to a $155.3 million opening weekend, the best opening weekend in history. The movie also set two more records. it became the fastest movie ever to eclipse $100 million and it had the 2nd biggest gap ever between 1st & 2nd place at the box office(Mamma Mia finished a mere $127.5 million behind TDK). It also had the second biggest single day total for a saturday.

Wow! It's $9 here. There is another theater around here that i think has tickets for like $7...i really need 2 find it. There's a cheaper theater at the edge of the next state...if gas prices weren't so high it would be worth the extra drive for the lower prices i hear they have. But $16 is ridiculous. Most DVD's are cheaper than that.