JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

FPOBA Reunion idea

• Members

Hi all,

I've just joined :) I grew up watching FPOBA (mostly re-runs, I was born in 1990) and have recently had Satellite (Sky :D) installed in my room. I found that 2 channels (Virgin 1 and Trouble) run the episodes daily, and it just got me thinking. I know about the fan peition to have a reunion episode, but I feel it would be better off as a reunion film? Something to get it out on screen to a wider audience - which with Will's fantastic movie career I thought would easily atract attention from all those who are FPOBA fans.

So, in one line - a Film as opposed to a shorter half hour episode?

Thoughts?

D

Edited by derelyth

I've thought about this a few times, and I'd definitely prefer to see a film with a really good script. Joint partnership between Overbrook and NBC... it would be a very popular reunion. Here's the thing... we need a really good "where are they now, what are they doing with their lives" script. With a popular series like FPOBA, a reunion special will color the whole series, painting it in an even better light, or a bad light... and the series would lose some of it's luster if it's a bad script.

It would be great if this was possible, however it would be incredibly tough to put together. I would love to see something like this happen though. Alfonso has put on quite a bit of weight though, Carlton would be huge (not height wise though).

• Members

It would be great if this was possible, however it would be incredibly tough to put together. I would love to see something like this happen though. Alfonso has put on quite a bit of weight though, Carlton would be huge (not height wise though).

I hear what you're saying, but they could throw Alfono's extra weight into the sotryline - if as MaxFly says if it was a WATN/What have they been upto" type of script, then having Carlton with a bit of extra weight wouldn't be a problem I don't think.

I just feel that when programmes have finales, even a double episode doesn't feel as though it has ended properly - At the end of the day that's all it is - a double episode. A reunion movie I believe would be a better way of saying goodbye to the programme, and also giving all of FPOBAs fans (old and new alike) one last massive fix :)

• Members

Honestly, I don't know why Will Smith hates talking or associating himself with this show, it was focused around him for 6-7 years and is one of the most popular sitcoms in the '90s, and even all time. He never did one special for the show (bloopers of the show are shown at the end of each episode and extra bloopers are shown on sites like Youtube) but he never orchestrated any of that himself. I feel this was a great show, and he started it, and he didn't even want to finish it. He wanted out after 4 seasons, and fans got him to do 2 more/extra seasons, writing to him constantly. I think a TFP re-union movie or a special or w/e they can put together with creative input would be excellent. Working around Alfonso's increase in weight (tremendously) since the show's end in 1996, you could possibly say he never went to Princeton or an Ivy League school for that matter, and got depressed and started to eat as the whole family relocated to NY (remember?). I am going to write a plot and a sample script, if their were to be a TFP movie. Be on the look out within the next couple of days.

i dunno if they did a film it would have to be an amazing script to live up to the show. i guess u never know they did a sex and the city movie and theres rumours of a friends movie. im not gonna hold my breath for anything else from fpoba. it took a lot just to get them to release dvds nevermind do a whole film.

Part of me loves the idea of more FPOBA, it's my fave show ever and it was what go me into Will in the first place. However i do agree with most people in that it would have to be AMAZING if was going to come anywhere near to the show which could prove really hard...it wouldn't affect my love for the show but i wouldn't want the masses to look at FPOBA in a negative light if it was rubbish. It's just too big a risk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

On second thought I don't think this is a good idea. A key part in the show was Will's Sillyness he was immature backthen. They do a reunion now, Will is an adult and he would be more serious it would take away from the old times

I agree, not only that but it was also sometimes focused on Alfonso/Carlton's height (what if he got really tall from '96-now?. Also, Uncle Phil's weight, again what if James Avery went on a huge diet after the show ended and wasn't really that fat anymore, at least not enough to become the premises of the fat jokes. There's so many minor and upscale factors you've got to play into. A lot of episodes were focused on Ashley's innocence= because of her small build and her age at the time (and her personality on and off screen maybe). Ex. the episode where Will and Uncle Phil try to stop a large bully from constantly beating Ashley up during school/school hours, her kissing a member of the football team (you can play into that a little but it was the premises of that episode, etc.). What if Tatyani is way diff. then she was as herself 10-15 years ago and diff. then she was, portrayed as the young and fragile Ashley Banks. That's just the jist of it though. To be honest, I definitely want a reunion show to come out in the oncoming years, whenever that may be and a movie but I don't see a movie happening or a movie able to be put together in a given amount of time. That's just my opinion though on the movie type deal.

• 2 months later...

Why not, but for example, Tatyana Ali is not really the sixteen years old's girl she played in the sixth season !

The only way to make a realist movie is to do something like "20 years later".

And I don't think it is a good idea.

So, in my opinion, they should stay with the six seasons, and just that. In most cases, to want to make it more, it's to make make too much.

Edited by Romano338