JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z parallels JJFP to Soulja Boy

Bob

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1590443/2...3/50_cent.jhtml

Yeah, people are still talking about the Ice-T vs. Soulja Boy Tell'em flap. The issue is much larger than the two artists; it's about the generation gap. What does the man the MTV News Hip-Hop Brain Trust voted the Greatest MC of All Time have to say? Jay-Z noted that it's essential to have the ying and the yang.

"Well, I think there's a balance, right?" Jay said while he was in the U.K. to headline the Glastonbury music fest. "I think the newer guys have got to respect the foundation and what's been laid down for them. The older guys have got to respect what's coming up next. So, I know that sounds like a non-answer but that's just the truth. In hip-hop, it's all about balance. You've always had [Jazzy Jeff] and Fresh Prince when you had Rakim. There's always been a balance in hip-hop, and I think it's always needed. So, as long as we respect each other, 'Old school, new school, no school rules.' Doug E. Fresh, I guess."

^Really? I mean, ya FP at that point was doing light stuff, but he was consistent with material, and right from the get go was lyrically in-tune. "Wat me crank dat soulja boy and now wat me yoou" doesn't equate to Brand New Funk, etc.

:thumbdown:

thx lil bro for the link. but i dont even wanna rad it, becaus Jay_z, in light of all his success is a $%^*%# idiot for even making that dam comparison.

He must be smoking Beyonce's 2 week old weave.. lol. because that statement is str8t up. random...

ok that was not nice but the weave.. but im just sayiN...

idiot.

xo,

cookie

Edited by 3cookies
No reason for edit. Just wanted to come back & b*t@# slap Jay talkin smak bout Will. LOL

He didn't compare them talent wise....He didn't say Soulja Boy is on the same level. He's basically saying that Hip Hop has always had different things, and variety. It never said JJFP wasn't good, just that they are different from Rakim, and both existed at and around the same time.

At least that's how I interpreted it. I don't see this as anything to get upset over.

Edited by Vipa

ok Vipa.. thx 4 clearing that up, becus eI thought it was a 'parallel' like the heading says... and didnt even read it, cuz i didnt want to waste my time reading that nonsense .. now im cool. but, Why did he have to mention Will of all people,... when he's trying to make a note or reference to a variety ? why not just compare Soulja Boii to himself if thas the case..

but thanx 4 clearing that up for me ..

xo,

cookie

I can't say i understand what Jay-Z is saying here. Is just just saying that Eric B. + Rakim were on a different tip from JJ+FP or was he saying Eric B. + Rakim were intellegent, well respected true Hip-Hop and that JJ+FP was fluffy, pointless, pop garbage? I've never had a huge amount for Jay-Z so i could care less, but i think he needs 2 think b4 he speaks, becuz reguardless of what his point is, it's not clear.

He didn't compare them talent wise....He didn't say Soulja Boy is on the same level. He's basically saying that Hip Hop has always had different things, and variety. It never said JJFP wasn't good, just that they are different from Rakim, and both existed at and around the same time.

At least that's how I interpreted it. I don't see this as anything to get upset over.

I agree here!

I don't think Jay meant it in a bad way... :thumbsup:

Yeh he isn't being offensive to JJFP at all here. If anything he mentioned JJFP as to the kings of their craft as was Rakim to his. Definatley not a diss in here at all.

People, if you are to allow this analogy to hold, you allow soulja boy to sit in the same 'space' in 2008 that FP held in the early 90's.

I don't like the analogy...especially with "Superman that ho" and the very incoherent lyrics from Soulja Boy. When did FP go that route...or even close?

People, if you are to allow this analogy to hold, you allow soulja boy to sit in the same 'space' in 2008 that FP held in the early 90's.

I don't like the analogy...especially with "Superman that ho" and the very incoherent lyrics from Soulja Boy. When did FP go that route...or even close?

I think he means that JJFP where more for kids like Soulja is right now..i hope he meant that...if not..then f*ck Jay :)

I think he means that JJFP where more for kids like Soulja is right now..i hope he meant that...if not..then f*ck Jay :)

Yeah, I think he meant something like that!

Maybe he just meant the type - the funny beats and stuff. But JJFP were never that bad and strange with the lyrics like SouljaBoy. SouljaBoy is only sayin' the same thing over and over again like "superman, superman hooooo, souljaboy yeeaahhhh" and whatever he says... JJFP have some nice lyrics where they're talkin' about the truth only in a lil' funny way for everybody to listen - also kids! :thumbsup:

Edited by E - Style-Greesy - E

He's not saying Soulja Boy is Fresh Prince 2008. Just that JJFP and Rakim have different sounds. He said nothing about good or bad. He didn't rank anybody...

JJFP sounded one way, Rakim sounded another. They both were releasing music at the same time...But Both were still respected. Today, Soulja Boy sounds different from Jay Z. That variety still exists. Different sounds are still alive in Hip Hop. There is this, and then there is that.

I don't agree with the part that you HAVE to respect or like Soulja Boy's music, but I get his point. He should have made it clearer, though.

Edited by Vipa

He's not saying Soulja Boy is Fresh Prince 2008. Just that JJFP and Rakim have different sounds. He said nothing about good or bad. He didn't rank anybody...

JJFP sounded one way, Rakim sounded another. They both were releasing music at the same time...But Both were still respected. Today, Soulja Boy sounds different from Jay Z. That variety still exists. Different sounds are still alive in Hip Hop. There is this, and then there is that.

I don't agree with the part that you HAVE to respect or like Soulja Boy's music, but I get his point. He should have made it clearer, though.

Yes, somethin' like that.

I think that's what Jay wanted to say or what he actually meant.

Nice explanation! :thumbsup: