JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

$600 MILLION FOR HANCOCK

TopDawg14

• Members

Official numbers are in, they overestimated Hancock.

From Variety:

1. Hancock

Sony Action $62,603,879 0 3965 $15,789 $103,877,446 1

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=bo...p;date=7/4/2008

This is actually bad, now it made less than 100 M 5 day, so it's going to be TOUGH to pass 200.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that these are pretty horrible numbers. It's his what, second highest weekend opening? It clearly should have been his first. What's worse, it's only about 10 million more than his third highest weekend opening. He just barely beat that. 62 million in three days is pretty pathetic. Moreover, it didn't even get over 100 million in 5 days. Granted, they had a few showings on Tuesday night, and many of those who saw it that Tuesday would have likely seen it on Wednesday or one of the following days, but we should ignore those numbers, because, technically, it's not 5 days... This movie is officially a flop, I'm calling it. :thumbdown:

HAHA MaxFly love the sarcasim and agree 100% Hancock rocked the house:) and all the news people talk about is the estimated numbers so who cares:)!!! ps. 3Cookies Mike Epps calls him HANDJOB:) thats why it sounded weird;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Variety:

1. Hancock

This is actually bad, now it made less than 100 M 5 day, so it's going to be TOUGH to pass 200.

Yeah, I think we can all agree that these are pretty horrible numbers. It's his what, second highest weekend opening? It clearly should have been his first. What's worse, it's only about 10 million more than his third highest weekend opening. He just barely beat that. 62 million in three days is pretty pathetic. Moreover, it didn't even get over 100 million in 5 days. Granted, they had a few showings on Tuesday night, and many of those who saw it that Tuesday would have likely seen it on Wednesday or one of the following days, but we should ignore those numbers, because, technically, it's not 5 days... This movie is officially a flop, I'm calling it. :thumbdown:

Apples and oranges.

Underneath the sarcasm there are some extravagantly incorrect criticism IMO. Who said it was a flop ? Who said the box-office numbers are horrible ?

Handcock is by far a flop, it's just a slight disappointment based on all the hype (critically as well as box-office tracking). 100 M is still a great achievement when you don't factor the tracking (from 110 up to 150), a movie with no origin opening with 100 M is fantastic. But we all know it wasn't the strength of the movie that brought the bucks, without Will this would've been a flop, you can bank on that. Wills power in hollywood keeps rising, he's getting better and better as an actor, people love him so much they go to his movies disregarding the movie itself. I feel obligated to watch Will in anything, because no matter how much the movie disappoints, Will rarely does. My sister was watching a commercial of Handcock today, she just saw Will and said ''cool'' and plans to watch it this weekend, she doesn't know what the movie is about or if it's good, she doesn't care, as long as Will is in it. That just shows how great and how powerful Will truly is as an actor. The biggest enjoyment I got from Handcock was watching Will portray the character flawlessly. Handcock just proves that Will Smith would make a great superhero. IMO the best superhero performance. I was a bit disappointed by the movie, that's all. If you loved it, more power to you. But all in all this movie is by far a flop, and I never said it was.

From Variety:

1. Hancock

Apples and oranges.

Underneath the sarcasm there are some extravagantly incorrect criticism IMO. Who said it was a flop ? Who said the box-office numbers are horrible ?

Handcock is by far a flop, it's just a slight disappointment based on all the hype (critically as well as box-office tracking). 100 M is still a great achievement when you don't factor the tracking (from 110 up to 150), a movie with no origin opening with 100 M is fantastic. But we all know it wasn't the strength of the movie that brought the bucks, without Will this would've been a flop, you can bank on that. Wills power in hollywood keeps rising, he's getting better and better as an actor, people love him so much they go to his movies disregarding the movie itself. I feel obligated to watch Will in anything, because no matter how much the movie disappoints, Will rarely does. My sister was watching a commercial of Handcock today, she just saw Will and said ''cool'' and plans to watch it this weekend, she doesn't know what the movie is about or if it's good, she doesn't care, as long as Will is in it. That just shows how great and how powerful Will truly is as an actor. The biggest enjoyment I got from Handcock was watching Will portray the character flawlessly. Handcock just proves that Will Smith would make a great superhero. IMO the best superhero performance. I was a bit disappointed by the movie, that's all. If you loved it, more power to you. But all in all this movie is by far a flop, and I never said it was.

Wait, you weren't doing the anti-jinx? I wasn't even being sarcastic... I was just trying to out anti-jinx you.

Well I saw it and I'm not going to say it was bad. But i don't think it was as good as all of the other movies out right now. (especially with Wanted). And There was a lot of hype around it. For me I wasn really feeling this movie when I first saw the first trailer. But I was gonna go see it anyway like a 13 year old fangirl because Will is my boy. When I saw the Second trailer I laughed so hard and I gained more respect for the film. I saw it thefirst day and I was pleasently pleased but i guess still expecting more. But the movie was pretty good.

Numbers Update:

Chalk up another $8 million for Hancock. Continuing its dominating ways, Will Smith's anit-superhero movie Hancock took the #1 spot for the 6th straight day on Monday with just under $8.5 million. That brings its U.S. total to $112.3 million. If it holds at this pace, Hancock should easily pass the $150 million mark by the end of the weekend. When it surpasses $150 million, it will mark the 5th straight movie of Smith's to pass that mark.

Edited by TopDawg14

This is great news! I think it has been a fantastic start for hancock. Maybe not what people xpected from it, but pretty good actually. The critics were not nice with the reviews of the movie, and the changing of pace and the pg13 problem didnt help out a lot either, but its still standing on its feet and I think it will surpass the 200 mil in the US.

Yeah it still has an outside shot at $200 million. The interesting thing is that I was checking out stars' box-office records and something occurred to me. When Hancock passes $150 million, it will not mark the 5th straight time Will Smith's done it, it will mark the ONLY time any actor has done it.

From Variety:

1. Hancock

Apples and oranges.

Wait, you weren't doing the anti-jinx? I wasn't even being sarcastic... I was just trying to out anti-jinx you.

I'm always doing the anti-jinx, even in that post.

Yeah it still has an outside shot at $200 million. The interesting thing is that I was checking out stars' box-office records and something occurred to me. When Hancock passes $150 million, it will not mark the 5th straight time Will Smith's done it, it will mark the ONLY time any actor has done it.

He's breaking records alright, doesn't he also own the most consecutive 100m made movies with 8 ? Cruise had 7, he passed him. If somehow, someway Seven Pounds can pass the 100m domestically there's no stopping Will. I really hope it does but it's going to be tough.

• Admin

Yeah Hancock will make 200 million, but I have a feeling both Hancock and Legend will leave a sour taste in peoples mouth and they aren't gonna rush out to see Seven Pounds.. They may wait and see if its a good movie first.

I am Legend was a dope movie ... and made people aware of the fact that he is a Legend, but I don't know how people will react after hancock! After Wild Wild West...Ali was not such a box office hit but got a lot of critical praise and after that MIB2 came out and the opposite happened! If there is a dope trailer for Seven Pounds the hype for Will Smith movies will continue...

Im not sure about that seven pounds movie. I think it was a bad idea at this time, in which Will is still in his prime and doing big blockbusters box office deals.

Yeah Hancock will make 200 million, but I have a feeling both Hancock and Legend will leave a sour taste in peoples mouth and they aren't gonna rush out to see Seven Pounds.. They may wait and see if its a good movie first.

I thought Legend was a big hit. The only people who were talking bad about Legenf were "fanboys" of the book. I've read a lot of message boards and the concensus seems to be that the people like Hancock and the critics don't. It's always hard to sell a drama late in the year and make it a $100 million movie but if anybody can do it Will can.

Numbers Update:

Make it 7 straight days at #1 for Hancock. It pulled in another $7.4 million on Tuesday raising its total to $119.7 million. At this pace, the movie should cross $150 million by the end of the weekend and set its sights for a possible $200 million finish.