JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

$600 MILLION FOR HANCOCK

TopDawg14

With the July 4 weekend looming, Will Smith's Hancock got off to a good start with an estimated $6.8 million on Tuesday. Though not officially released worldwide until today, Hancock still opened over 3600 screens in the U.S. and finished right behind Disney's WallE. Despite bad reviews(Rotten Tomatoes has it at 34% Fresh though top film critics Roger Ebert & Peter Travers give it the thumbs up) Hancock is still expected to easily top the $100 million mark for the 5-day weekend giving Smith a record-breaking 8th consecutive movie to make $100 million in the U.S.

Edited by TopDawg14

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HANCOCK CRUSHES COMPETITION

Despite some bad reviews & buzz, Will Smith's new blockbuster, Hancock, officially opened in the U.S. on Wednesday to the tune of $17.3 million. It has now grossed $24.1 million and is expected to easily cross the $100 million mark for the Independence Day Holiday. It will mark the 8th straight film of Smith's to cross $100 which will set a record. He currently has 7 and that has him tied with the Toms - Cruise & Hanks.

A quick tidbit: Wednesday's opening was the 14th biggest opening Wednesday in history just behind... 1996's Independence Day. It's is Will's 3rd biggest opening Wednesday of his career behind MIBII($18.6 million) and ID4($17.4 million). Two more of his movies are on this all-time list as well. They are Men In Black(ranked #16) & Wild, Wild West(rank #37).

Tim that was actually a good opening day for the July 4th weekend. Hancock ranks #3 on opening Wednesdays during the July 4th holiday. The 2 movies in front of Hancock? Men In Black II & Independence Day. Most people here in the U.S. usually start hitting the theaters the day before July 4th. For Hancock to open with $17 million on a Wednesday is pretty good. Now if it does less than $17 million today then I would be concerned.

Not a great opening day...

I was about to say this. It's really not so great. People were predicting 110+ some even 130-150 and now it could end up with less than 90 M. Which is still great but with bad legs it could end up with less than 200 M.

When you factor the bad WOM, great competition and the release of Dark Knight it's not going to have great legs, in fact it could have pretty bad legs. Plus 100 M isn't even a guarantee, heck this movie could make less than 90 M during its 5 day run.

EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS EARLY THURSDAY ESTIMATES

1. NEW Hancock (Sony) — $17.1 million, $4,313 PTA, $41.13 million cume.

Another 17 M for Hancock. It needs to do 60M+ to pass 100, which isn't likely. It'll end up doing around 50 OW and around 90 for the 5 1/2 day. It's no flop by any means but it's disappointing because now it has no shot at 250+ and 225 might be not doable. People were saying it would do at least 110 heck tracking was at 150. I guess the pretty bad ratings from the critics scared off some people or maybe the Scientology news affected it, dunno but so far it's a slight disappointment.

• Members

EXCLUSIVE FANTASY MOGULS EARLY THURSDAY ESTIMATES

1. NEW Hancock (Sony) — $17.1 million, $4,313 PTA, $41.13 million cume.

Another 17 M for Hancock. It needs to do 60M+ to pass 100, which isn't likely. It'll end up doing around 50 OW and around 90 for the 5 1/2 day. It's no flop by any means but it's disappointing because now it has no shot at 250+ and 225 might be not doable. People were saying it would do at least 110 heck tracking was at 150. I guess the pretty bad ratings from the critics scared off some people or maybe the Scientology news affected it, dunno but so far it's a slight disappointment.

Wow:(... Why??? Everyone i know was so excited for this! its gotta be a huge hit:(... we need a big friday like 25 mil.... which isnt likly at all

• Admin

Yeah I'd say 20-20-14 for a 5 day total of 94 million.. then i'd expect atleast a 60% drop next weekend and maybe it will finish with about 160 million.. considering the budget is atleast 200 million.. its not a success

Yeah I'd say 20-20-14 for a 5 day total of 94 million.. then i'd expect atleast a 60% drop next weekend and maybe it will finish with about 160 million.. considering the budget is atleast 200 million.. its not a success

You cant forget about the worldwide numbers though. im guessing that Hancock will take another 200 mill+ overseas.

Will Smith is box office superhero with "Hancock"

Sunday July 6 11:56 AM ET

Will Smith, the closest thing to a sure bet in Hollywood, overcame some of the worst reviews of his career to claim the top spot at the U.S. Independence Day holiday box office with "Hancock."

The comedy-drama, in which Smith plays a drunken superhero, sold an estimated $66 million worth of tickets across the United States and Canada during the three days beginning July 4, distributor Columbia Pictures said on Sunday.

Since opening on July 2 -- with Tuesday-night previews rolled into Wednesday sales -- the film has earned $107.3 million, becoming his 8th consecutive No. 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Smith, 39, has ruled the July 4 holiday weekend on five occasions, beginning with 1996's "Independence Day," his all-time personal best. Adjusted for ticket-price inflation, the "Hancock" opening ranks at No. 3 among those offerings, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo.

In "Hancock," his slovenly character's unorthodox crime-busting efforts cause more problems than they solve, and he enlists a public-relations man, played by Jason Bateman, to help restore his reputation among the displeased citizenry of Los Angeles. Critics were intrigued by the premise, but vexed by a dramatic sub-plot involving Bateman's wife, played by Charlize Theron.

Smith was last in theaters with the apocalyptic drama "I Am Legend," which ended up with $256 million domestically after opening last December.

"Hancock," which cost about $150 million to make, was directed by Peter Berg, who was in theaters last year with the Middle East thriller "The Kingdom." Columbia is a unit of Sony Corp.

Last weekend's champion, Walt Disney Co's robot love story "WALL-E," slipped to No. 2 with $33.4 million, taking its 10-day total to $128.1 million.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman, editing by Sandra Maler)

Source: Yahoo.com