JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

So what did everyone think of Hancock?

Jazzy Julie

I LOVED it! The first half an hour was some of the funniest stuff ive seen in ages, the whole cinema was laughing. What makes it funnier is that Will the nice guy is saying these horrible things. Then theres the twist and it turns into a good story line. I guess it is sort of like "i am legend" the way the movie suddenly changes, but they couldnt just have a whole film of one line jokes.

Anyway i wont say anymore so i dont spoil it, my friends liked it, the cinema was packed and laughing, i think its gonna do really well.

Oh word of warning dont walk straight away at the end, stay sat down.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I LOVED it! The first half an hour was some of the funniest stuff ive seen in ages, the whole cinema was laughing. What makes it funnier is that Will the nice guy is saying these horrible things. Then theres the twist and it turns into a good story line. I guess it is sort of like "i am legend" the way the movie suddenly changes, but they couldnt just have a whole film of one line jokes.

Anyway i wont say anymore so i dont spoil it, my friends liked it, the cinema was packed and laughing, i think its gonna do really well.

Oh word of warning dont walk straight away at the end, stay sat down.

Agreed I thought it was amazing everyone was laughing and all my friends loved it! Saw it again today:o... seen it twice now! Box office mojo says it made less then Wall-E last night:o hopfully that is because it is advanced screenings and not a lot of theatres! I hope it makes over 70 mil this weekend but since the movie starts 3 days before the weekend that might be hard!

It was great, completely loved it!!! Went to see it at the first showing at my local cinema with my boyfriend....and he even enjoyed it (which is good because he does not usually share my love for Will lol). Anyway i agree with Julie - don't wanna say too much and give it away, but there's a great twist and overall it's a really enjoyable film.....there was a guy near us that just couldn't stop laughing. Loudly. And the comments i heard as we were walking out were all really good and positive (lol as well as the lorettas saying how 'fit' and 'buff' he looked).

Hope everyone else has fun seeing it too!!!!!

Edited by FreshPrincess

Hmmmm....i don't wanna be a downer...but let me be the 1st 2 say that the movie is average. There are some very funny scenes, but after seeing the trailor, half of them aren't a surprise and the other half are kinda expected. I think that the story is a bit quirky and bizarre. Which is fine if u are in2 that kinda thing...sometime i am...but not in this one. It doesn't feel like the story is very strong either. The devlopment of FP's character is fast and doesn't seem like the transformation is really for much of a purpose. I have to say that even tho' the trailor cracked me up, i can't say that i'm really surprised or impressed with the movie. It seems like the the movie was exactly how i thought it would be. I also think that it's werid trying 2 make a drama out of something that has superheroes becuz the fantasy factor is amped up so much. Like I Am Legend, i think this movie is average. I'll gladly watch the Bad Boys movies, the Men In Black movies, ID4, Enemy of The State, Wild Wild West, The Legend of Bagger Vance, ALI, The Pursuit of Happyness, Made In America, Sharktale, or Hitch over Hancock or I Am Legend any day. Screw the movies...give me an album.

The person i saw the movie with liked it move than i did. I saw a 10:45 showing Wednesday night (couldn't make the midnight show the nite b4) and the theater wasn't even half way full. Sure, it's the middle of the week and sure it waz kinda late, but that's the emptiest i've ever seen a 1st showing of "a Will Smith movie."

Guest James' Groove

i thought it was awesome , and defo one of my fav films , i mean nowerdays will smith has done so many films its not even a case of "was it a gd film" its a case of "was it a gd will smith film", cos i havn't seen a bad will smith film to date! honestly gross 25million within less than 2 days, thats insane ! i loved the film so much, the cinema was packed , i went to star city , they had showings every 20mins, and every one was queueing for hancock! now im just after the hancock hat and glasses on ebay!! the staff were all wearing them! , still the film left me amazed at the visual, music and stroyline, most reviews slag it off, i really dont see what there getting at, the film worked and i mean com on, at the end i just looked at everyone in the cinema and they had a smile on there face, and some (including me) clapped the film! now im off to buy a blueray player before this comes out on blueray dvd! lol, well done smith once again, !!!!!!!!!

I just got back from the movie, I'd rate it a 6.5/10. Will Smith alone saves it (as always), without him I would've hated this movie. I had high expectations so I was pretty disappointed. The first half felt like Iron Man and the second half felt like The dark knight. As a whole it was messy and incoherent because it doesn't build up very well. It really had soooo much potential, a brilliant idea but like stated, not very well executed.

The handjob reference at the end by Epps was very funny.

And I don't know if I laughed this much during any scene this year, a fat guy says you should sue him about Hancock, Hancock replies ''You should sue Mcdonalds, cause they F-cked you up'' OMG I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THAT, whole theater was laughing like crazy.

I'll write more tomorrow, gotta sleep now.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant!!!

You are talking about a Superhero never known to audiences before, a 'brand' never established, and yet a great mix of everything.

The movie did a great job with Jason Bateman weaving together the whole thing. His acting best comes to the table as the one 'sane' person (i.e. Arrested Development!!!!!) as in this movie. The film needed to not only introduce Hancock, but keep the crowd interested, move the story along, explain his past, and have a huge cinematic finale. It did all of this, through many devices.

1. Make sure Will got the laughs, and in a different way than we are used to seeing...BRILLIANT.

2. Appease the crowd that came out for Bateman...aka fast-camera work, odd-quirky humor that is indicative of Arrested Development and so beloved by its fans.

3. Provide a foil. I won't expose the twist for those who haven't seen it, but very smartly done by the writers.

There's much more, but I also think another thing to point out is what this film did not have as a luxury of most 'superhero' films. This in many ways explains what AJ called as too fast. No one knows the "Hancock" story. So you can't have a Batman Begins type of film. You can't slow things down to that point. There is no guarantee this movie will have a sequel. Second, after Pursuit of Happyness, we know that every movie Will does has a huge box-office response, so you can't down the audiences with a non-epic theme to the movie. Third, the movie goes away from the usual Northeast metropolis, creating less "mafia" ideas and thus a much more open canvas with less naturally there to work with.

I think all in all, it was a GREAT film, and I think it will blow Dark Knight (in quality, hopefully also box office) out of the water.

Now I came into this movie expecting a Men In Black corny film with little heroics and a lot of light laughs. What I got was an explosive, to-the-wall action thriller, with twists all over and a uncanny ability to keep the HILARITY throughout the movie. I never thought I could see a great mix between quirky humor and action thrillers.

I guess I was wrong there.

2 THUMBS WAY UP!!!!!

Nice to hear people here liked it, I'll have to wait two more weeks for the movie, but I really hope I'll like it.

And Nice review Bob, but I would bet 1000 dollars that The Dark Knight will be a better film in terms quality, It's gotten like 5/5 in every review so far, and (hope I don't make enemies here now :leaving: ) many of the actors in TDK are far superior to any of the actors in Hancock (except Charlize). But I think that they are two very different movies. Hancock is a summer blockbuster Drama/Action/Comedy movie, with some big twists, while TDK is more of an "Oscar" movie (with a batman story) if you look at the script, music, acting, direction and so on... I really don't care wich one will win box office, but I hope It's the Dark Knight, Will don't need to be nr1, and I don't think he will be this summer... But I'm hoping for Hancock to be a good/great summer movie, fun, dramatic and with some good action. I'm not going to hope for the "Tonight He Comes" movie, cause if I do, I know I'll be dissapointed...

Edited by viber_91

• Admin

Just saw it, I didn't think it was that good. I liked the second half of the movie the best. Which is interesting most reviews didn't. The second half showed what the movie could have been if it had kept to the original script and was more a straight drama. Most of the comedy was given away in the trailers and damn Sony promoted this movie poorly.

Those that know me, know I don't follow Will as much nowadays. When I saw the trailers and ads for the movie I was like "damn, Will's coming out with another one?" What caught me was this movie was about a new kind of superhero and the special effects.

I went to go see it the night before it came out in the theater. It wasn't packed but the theater was filled well. I enjoyed the first half of the movie a lot. I came into it with no expectations except trying to see a good movie with a friend and nothing else to do that night. The opening of the movie catches your attention... I liked Will playing a scruffy drunken looking character, it was funny.

"You should sue McDonalds, cuz they f***ed you up!"

was one of the better lines in the movie.

The second half of the movie was where you really get to know Hancock and what his story is about, which for me was not the best part. As AJ said, the story line is a bit bizarre and I wasn't feeling it quite as much. To be honest, I was more captured by the super hero powers and attitude of Hancock than his bizarre story. Since I went into it with no expectations, I really did enjoy the movie and would love to see it again. I give it a 8/10.

Until next time y'all

P.S. Happy 4th of July!