JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Methodman Thinks Soulja Boy is Garbage

If i had 2 choose one artist 2 listen 2 for the rest of my life and my choices were Vanilla Ice, Lil' Wayne, 50 Cent, Soulja Boy, Webbie, Lil' Scrappy, Lil' Jon, Boosie, Plies, etc....i'd be choosing Vanilla Ice.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight, thanks man.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest_Jin_*

Who cares? Why are this so called legends dissing a 17 year old kid? Because he is selling records and they don't? What people expect should he portray some fake gangsta **** like them??? Mostly southern and westcoast music is mindless and catchy music without message! Back in the day you had Kriss Kross and Vanilla Ice, now you have Soulja Boy and 50 cent.

so you are against method man, snoop, ice-t and in support of souja boy, flo rida, jim jones and people like that?

I don't support Soulja Boy,but it's ridiculous to critize a 17 year old kid, when some rappers in theirs 30s doing the same whack music... Method Man and Snoop are cool, but Ice-T had one hot album and that is 2 decades ago.

they diss em cause they're a disgrace to music, theres no longer creativity...you comparin Vanilla Ice with Soulja???..man Vanilla was wacky..but definately SOulja and these new artist are takin wackness to the next level...things are supossed to be better as time passes..not worse :S

I totally agree. For about 10 years, i thought Vanilla Ice was as wack as it could ever get. But when all these dirty south rappers started getting really popular in like 2002, i waz like "WoW!!"...cuz they actually make Vanilla Ice looks pretty darn good. If i had 2 choose one artist 2 listen 2 for the rest of my life and my choices were Vanilla Ice, Lil' Wayne, 50 Cent, Soulja Boy, Webbie, Lil' Scrappy, Lil' Jon, Boosie, Plies, etc....i'd be choosing Vanilla Ice.

Man, Id take 50 cent over those guys but not Vanilla...

Who cares? Why are this so called legends dissing a 17 year old kid? Because he is selling records and they don't? What people expect should he portray some fake gangsta **** like them??? Mostly southern and westcoast music is mindless and catchy music without message! Back in the day you had Kriss Kross and Vanilla Ice, now you have Soulja Boy and 50 cent.

It's like that...

I just thought exactly the same...

I mean of course Soulja Boy may not be cool, okay but hey - just let him do his thing!

Why u always go and open up ur mouth wide and talk just some bull**** about him, diss him, offend him, call him bad, garbage whateva, say he sucks?

We don't need stuff like that!

If ur a legend then just be quiet and shut the hell up and don't say nothin'!

Thats stupid..i wouldnt shut up neither...if i wre a hip hop legend, a pioneer, and i see young cats ruinin what i helped to build and what i love

Edited by Luigie

Exactly. Keep your mouth shut because you're great? That's just stupid. If you don't like what you hear then you should be able to voice your opinion on the subject. If anything, a legend has more than earned the right to say something.

Really though, it's the listeners that need to do the most speaking up. When the only thing they've got to say is a repeated Soulja Boy/Lil' Wane line then we've got a problem. Music is spoon fed to these kids and they just accept it. They really don't care what a hip hop pioneer has to say about the topic anymore than Soulja Boy does because it's a trendy culture. Schools are starting to get better at teaching kids to use their brains to think more outside the box. I hope that extends to the music they make/listen to.

God Blessa!

Throwin' in my 2 cents, I wanna know, why just Soulja Boy? there's plenty of crap rappers out at the moment.

did I miss something, is there a specific reason people are calling him out? *no I didn't watch the videos* b/c I think it's asinine for grown ass men, (some of whom are middle aged) to be arguing with a child...over the internet of all places? this is how stupid "beefs" and rap wars get started, grow up. :shakehead: they should all take a minute and do something meaningful, write a song that contributes something positive to hip hop, start a charity or something....get a GED, y'know? *sigh*

seriously it really is kinda sad that this is the direction hip hop has gone in.

they are after soudja man.. theres a lot of rappers doing worst out there but lets take the 17 year old kid who doesnt have enough game in him to play this to his benefit. why dont they start on 50? how about all the others? this old dudes should go back to drink their milk in their nursing homes if they aint rappin anymore.. and yeah Greasy! they should just shut up if they aint got nothin good to say! what does it brings to hip hop? what?

Edited by VIsqo

If I was one of these legendary rappers dissatisfied with stuff on the radio...I would try and make music that would change it, and not bitch and whine about kids a fraction of my age...It's our job to be critical of what we dislike, as rap fans, but rap legends need to keep quiet and try to reinvent and stay fresh...

Man, Ice T's apology and Method Man's comments had more intelligence in them than any song I've heard on the radio lately. They where excellent, productive comments about the state of hip-hop. Soulja Boy was just the lightening rod for something that needed to come out. Rap is dead. I mean, sure, rap is alive in the sense that accordion folk music is alive, that some one, some where, still makes and cares about it. But as a main stream musical genre, it's dead. Rap, from beginning to end, is about lyrics. It's about rhyming. It's about stories. It's about complex flows. Otherwise it's just techno or metal or pop with a bassline. The reason its dead is because of people like Soulja Boy (and many others) don't bother to actually write lyrics any more. They have the opportunity, they have the buzz, they have kids' ears, they are the ones who are defining what rap is and will be. And they can't be bothered to even attempt to write lyrics? Hell, we have a forum full of lyrics that are leaps and bounds above what's on the radio now, and that's just sad. I agree with Method Man and Ice T, Soulja Boy's songs suck and he's squandering his opportunity. And because of that, the music that I love is dead.

Throwin' in my 2 cents, I wanna know, why just Soulja Boy? there's plenty of crap rappers out at the moment.

did I miss something, is there a specific reason people are calling him out? *no I didn't watch the videos* b/c I think it's asinine for grown ass men, (some of whom are middle aged) to be arguing with a child...over the internet of all places? this is how stupid "beefs" and rap wars get started, grow up. :shakehead: they should all take a minute and do something meaningful, write a song that contributes something positive to hip hop, start a charity or something....get a GED, y'know? *sigh*

seriously it really is kinda sad that this is the direction hip hop has gone in.

Co-sign! :wickedwisdom: