JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Truth About The Ghostwriting

Ghostwriting and co-writing are very different things, i think Will tends to co-write with people. Like Kel for example, kel says he ghostwrites for Will but he gets credit on the album so really its co-writing. I havnt got a problem with it if its a line here and there, i wouldnt be happy if i found out people write huge chunks for Will.

And how much? anything about that? Are those whole track deals or just some lines?

I don't think they co-wrote the whole tracks for Will because then for me it wouldn't be co-writing anymore.

U can see the style of the lyrics by Will, noone else has this type of style so I think the lyrics are really from Will and only a few sentences are co-written.

If you pop your CD into Windows Media Player, just check out the composers column, that is a good way to tell. I think that most of his stuff is done with other people.

Of course many people do work on the album and the lyrics with Will together but I think the lyrics still belong to Will except a few sentences.

• Members

Kel writes the verses, Will comes in and goes over them with Kel and re-does them in "Fresh Prince" style so he'll feel comfortable reciting them, he probably erases and adds on lines here and there. I can tell when I'm hearin Will spit rhymes that Kel wrote, I know Kel's flow. I think Will wrote "Why" by himself though, when I listen to it that just sounds like the Fresh Prince of old to me. I don't blame Will for using a ghostwriter, the dude makes over 20 million a movie and is probably THEE biggest star in Hollywood, he doesn't really have that time to be racking his brain writing albums. Before Big Willie Style i'm sure he never even considered using a writer since he had the time and energy to lose himself in the music.

Edited by Pinot

Ha...i can't say i'm gonna take any posts 2 seriously from someone who wants 2 put that kinda info out there on their 1st post.

Back in that 1997 Source interview. FP said he's always writing...even in retirement. He said that when he was working on BWS, for a handful of tracks (which are credited), he wrote a song and brought it 2 Nas. He said that since he hadn't really done anything with the intent of releasing it in years, he felt that alot of time had past and that Hip-Hop had changed so we brought the songs 2 Nas looking for an edge geared 2 the current scene. The interview went on 2 say that Nas would say "why don't u flip this part this way..." and stuff like that. Mad Skillz and Common Sense also worked along side FP. I think he just does that for some of his trax looking for the collaboration with an emcee that he respects just 2 remind me where he's at. He's not exactly walking the streets of Philly everyday anymore getting a normal, down 2 earth kind of inspiration. He's on movie sets and in the lap of luxery with his family.

In a 2000 XXL interview, Kel talked about working with FP and stated that they co-wrote songs 2gether and that he did just write songs for FP 2 rap. I can't say that i love the idea of people co-writing with him, but even back in the day, Ready Rock C and Jazzy Jeff were writing the songs with him. Even i can personally relate when i was rapping. Some stuff i wrote all by myself. Some of the stuff i wrote with my best friends. Fresh Prince is a pioneer...not a puppet.