JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Top 25 Worst Rappers of All-Time

Trey

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/2977

How are Will and MC Hammer even on this list? Where's Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Hurricaine Chris, 50 Cent... :shakehead:

Ya'll need to stop with that MC Hammer ish. For real, ya'll need to read his lyrics.. Its really not good in any way at all (Which is amazing caus half of it he actulay payed for). 50 could outrap him if he'd get back to his old days (not saying he was good, but atleast he was lirlcly better than Hammer).

Edited by Turntable

How are Will and MC Hammer even on this list? Where's Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Hurricaine Chris, 50 Cent... :shakehead:

Ya'll need to stop with that MC Hammer ish. For real, ya'll need to read his lyrics.. Its really not good in any way at all (Which is amazing caus half of it he actulay payed for). 50 could outrap him if he'd get back to his old days (not saying he was good, but atleast he was lirlcly better than Hammer).

Speaking as someone who actually lived through that time period, you have no idea. Hammer was HUGE. The fame and success he received from his second and third albums, at the time, was insane. To put this in context, this is the same time that De La Soul came out, JJFP won for Parents, Slick Rick put out The Great Adventures, and NWA was breaking up. To try and look at his lyrics in the context of modern rap is silly, and actually beside the point. Hammer was a performer and a hell of a performer at that. His dancing was phenomenal, his delivery was smooth, his energy was insane, and his persona had mothers wanting to adopt him.

Now, I find it hilarious and enjoy mocking him routinely for going broke. I think entertainers are massively over paid and I have no heart ache for them going broke, but to say he wasn't something important to rap is to not fully understand how hot he was and what made him that hot.

Speaking as someone who actually lived through that time period, you have no idea. Hammer was HUGE. The fame and success he received from his second and third albums, at the time, was insane. To put this in context, this is the same time that De La Soul came out, JJFP won for Parents, Slick Rick put out The Great Adventures, and NWA was breaking up. To try and look at his lyrics in the context of modern rap is silly, and actually beside the point. Hammer was a performer and a hell of a performer at that. His dancing was phenomenal, his delivery was smooth, his energy was insane, and his persona had mothers wanting to adopt him.

Now, I find it hilarious and enjoy mocking him routinely for going broke. I think entertainers are massively over paid and I have no heart ache for them going broke, but to say he wasn't something important to rap is to not fully understand how hot he was and what made him that hot.

Thats my point. lol. I get what you say, and I understand how huge he was, and how good of an entertainer he was and so on. So was George Michael, that does not mean he is a skilled Rapper. All the others you are talking about (Besides maybe Dre in NWA) are. Thats my whole point. Maybe he did shows like Michael Jackson, I dont care, PUffy does too. That does not make him a skilled MC, maybe a good entertainer, but not a good Mc.

Thats my point. lol. I get what you say, and I understand how huge he was, and how good of an entertainer he was and so on. So was George Michael, that does not mean he is a skilled Rapper. All the others you are talking about (Besides maybe Dre in NWA) are. Thats my whole point. Maybe he did shows like Michael Jackson, I dont care, PUffy does too. That does not make him a skilled MC, maybe a good entertainer, but not a good Mc.

Musicians, rappers included, are frequently more than their lyrics. Otherwise they'd be poets, perhaps spoken word performers. For a rapper, style, flow, and general delivery are important to their quality and success.

Performance abilities, especially videos, are very important for a musician. There's a reason why video killed the radio. Michael Jackson wouldn't have been nearly as huge if he wasn't an excellent dancer and had killer videos. Etc...

And, for the time period, Hammer's lyrics weren't as bad as you're saying. In 1989, rhyme patterns, by and large, weren't overly complex. Hammer definitely wasn't pushing the envelope, I'd say his structure was similar to Run DMC, solid if a little old school. His topics where pretty good for the day, he had several dance hits, but he also made a lot of heal the world type of songs, including a pretty strong single called Pray, not your standard fair for the time.

You really don't seem to be appreciating the history or evolution or rap. You want it to have sprung fully developed instead of growing into what it is today. I suspect you'd also say that Chuck Berry sucks because he wasn't as socially conscious as The Beatles where.

I have a lot more to say, but I need to go tell some kids to get off my lawn.

No, I do appreciate it I own about 50 Albums from during that time). And I appreciate Hammer for what Hammer did when it comes to the whole show stufff/ But what you saying aint right. There where allot of Mc's in his time that where better Mc's. I'm not talking about what came after him.

Next to that, I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records. To stay a good Mc till today you have to grow, like Will did, like LL did and so on. If Hammer would be a newcomer these days, errbody would say he is bad, because he didnt get "better" in anyway (I heard his new stuff). And thats my whole point. These days he just isnt a good Rapper anymore.

Edited by Turntable

Next to that, I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records. To stay a good Mc till today you have to grow, like Will did, like LL did and so on. If Hammer would be a newcomer these days, errbody would say he is bad, because he didnt get "better" in anyway (I heard his new stuff). And thats my whole point. These days he just isnt a good Rapper anymore.

I don't disagree that Hammer isn't good these days. I don't listen to anything new by him, so I don't really know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not that skilled any more. But "I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records" is just silly. By that logic I shouldn't listen to The Beatles because of Wings.

I don't disagree that Hammer isn't good these days. I don't listen to anything new by him, so I don't really know, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not that skilled any more. But "I dont think that you can judge an Mc on how he was back in the day, not if he's still releasing records" is just silly. By that logic I shouldn't listen to The Beatles because of Wings.

But Beatles' records still hold up as melodically complex and lyrically on point... and were often greater than what the Wings made...

An old skool artist can be at par with contemporaries...Big daddy Kane and Rakim could def hold their own against Nas and Jay-Z...The Message could lyrically hold up with almost any rap song released today...but Hammer and other novelty acts were never skilled enough to be compared to anyone making records worth remembering...his dance moves might have caused a revolution in video but I could care less...