JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

And In This Corner...?

• Members

Ok this is something I've been wondering about for a while. Whenever you hear people talk about JJ+FP they always mention the obvious songs and albums like Homebase with Summertime and He's the DJ with PJDU. But 2 albums I rarely hear mention about is Code Red and And In This Corner... Specifically the latter, which none of the media mentions or anything. And I mean I see a lot of people rate this album bad, and it only sold gold. I also hear that around this time their popularity was slipping. But for me personally, I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson is a great song, and even that being the single that's the only one they (media) ever mention. Like I've heard Jazzy's Grove and Who Stole My Car? and those are great tracks, but I mean it just seems people don't even recognize this album was ever made. Does anybody know why this is?

• Members

my favourite track on this album is The Reverend :wickedwisdom:

Keep in mind that this album came out at a time when Public Enemy had listeners really getting in2 the political side of Hip-Hop with that agressive sound. On the West Coast, hardcore Hip-Hop from N.W.A. waz getting attention. On the mainstream side, MC Hammer was taking Hip-Hop to new levels were people who would never know ANYTHING about Hip-Hop were getting their 101 from his huge hits. JJ+FP was kinda out of place of what was "new." They were experementing with live instruments and a slightly newer sound, but the formula wasn't totally fresh compared 2 their previous music.

Lyrically, FP is on point and sharper than ever...Jazzy waz inovating a new sound and a new way 2 create Hip-Hop music. The fact that the album didn't do so well is strictly due 2 the growth Hip-Hop waz going thru.' The album still had plenty of attention. The sales just weren't as big. 1989 was around the time where a few Hip-Hop pioneers really suffered artistically or in terms of success. JJ+FP waz able 2 beat that with help of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and then Homebase.

I don't think anyone on this board overlooks the album. It's just that we've talked about so many albums, songs, and topics so many times that the posts about them aren't really that fresh. With a few new board members, it'll open those old topics back up and they can be talked about again.

• Members

No I know what you mean about the fans talking about it it. I'm talking about the media. Like I really haven't seen a lot of talk of this album or Code Red whenever I see a biography about the group. It's always - Girl's Ain't Nothing But Trouble, PJDU, Summertime, and then it goes to the tv show. I'm just saying it's like weird.

Always the album that i placed last in favourites when i was younger. Maybe cos of the lack of singles and favourite songs. But in the last couple of years i have began to appreciate it so much moreas a whole album, and thats important. Great, Hip-Hop album.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...