JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MARIAH CAREY - E=MC2

I had no idea how many Mariah Carey fans were on this board until a few of the recent MC-related posts were made. So, knowing there's other fans here...here's the review post. Share what u think...

MIGRATE - This opener is incredibly "common." It's a moderately upbeat track u'd hear on commerical Rap/R-N-B stations. Not bad, just not anything impressive, at all. MC has a confiedenct vocal presense that is kinda overshadowed by the boring beat. T-Pain also makes an unnecessary appearance. I actually like T-Pain, however, this verse represents much of his more recent stuff...his voice is over vocoded and his appareance is unnecessary and doesn't NEED 2 be a part of this song. I didn't listen 2 more than a minute of this when i popped the CD in.

TOUCH MY BODY - The 1st single. I love this song. Simple, slightly naughty lyrics over a laidback feel good vibe. She could have hit us with a mega ballad or club song, but this was a nice change. U've heard it...do i need 2 go on?

CRUISE CONTROL - Props 2 Mariah for tredding in2 new ground. The reggae/dancehall is something new for her and the Damian Marley partnership was unexpected. Sadly, Jermain Dupri (one of my personal favorite producers of all time) provides a common and boring choppy beat that has a touch of a dirty south feel. Did i mention Mariah's vocal experiement and Damian's appearance are the only thing that make this song have reggae/dancehall flava?

I STAY IN LOVE - Is a nice slow love song produced by R-N-B genious Bryan-Michael Cox. The piano is beatifully simple and Mariah's delivery is classic. Some people might roll there eyes to a song so "simple"...but sometimes simplicity leads 2 flawless elegance....that's how i few this song.

SIDE EFFECTS - This song sucks. The watered down dirty south synths provided by the incredibly overrated Scott Storch are awful. The song would be greatly improved if they weren't there. Scott Storch has been out of his prime for awhile, but u think that if he waz gonna work with Mariah, he'd come up with something original...or at least barable. I also think MC sounds way 2 uninspired on this one. Oh, and if the song couldn't get any worse, Young Jeezy shows u that it can when he tries 2 rap on it. Thank God for the Right pointing arrow button on the CD player.

I'M THAT CHICK - This upbeat dance track has a skating rink throwback feel. I like this one alot, bit it just feels like they only 90% finished the song...like some other instruments could be thrown in2 the mix. This is probably the best upbeat song on the album.

LOVE STORY - I really like this moderatly slow track. The lyrics are great and MC sounds great singing them. This sugary sweet beat has JD redeeming himself for the beat he did earlier on the album.

I'LL BE LOVING U LONG TIME - This is another good upbeat feel good song. This drama-free reminds me of R-N-B before it got 2 tainted. This song is a must for any Spring/Summer 2008 mixtape.

LAST KISS - MC and JD slow it back down on this almost mid-tempo track. This song captures the feelings felt shortly after a break-up. The hopefull lyrics remind me of a place i used 2 be. The classic MC delivery is on this one.

THANX 4 NOTHIN' - This song keeps the mid-tempo flow going with the 1st sign of real lyrical drama/heartbreak. This song is for the ladies (or anyone) who has had a relationship end and u are left feeling stupid for wasting your time becuz u overlooked the redflags from the other person. This is one of my favorites. JD handles this one 2.

O.O.C. - I think this song is just weird. It's a Swizz Beats produced upbeat song about being out of control from missing your ex...even tho' both of u are with other people. Strangely, the liner notes say Da Brat is doing back-up on this song but u can't hear her cuz her blends with MC so well. This is the 1st time that i heard the song and really liked it. The first few times i didn't like it at all...but now i do. Decent song.

FOR THE RECORD - One of my favs. It's a mid-tempo slickly produced R-N-B track with a great chorus. MC's lyrics and delivery are as usually...great. Bryan-Michael Cox provides Mariah with another great song. The chorus is what really gets me tho'...just lovin' this one.

BYE BYE - This piano-heavy sugary sweet sounding mid-tempo R-N-B joint has Mariah singing about loved ones that we have lost. Very touching song done in a very unemotional way (not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. The ONLY thing that kills me is the ridiculous dirty south "ay"s turned down in the background. Why on God's green earth are they there? Still a beautiful song.

I WISH YOU WELL - This is the ONLY song on the album that i feel has the sound MC truely deserves. The live instruments support her vocals like no song on the album. Better yet, JJ+FP alumni and soul music legend James Poyser is the producer on this one. This is one of MC's classic gospel tracks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview: Mariah Carey is one of the best artists of all time. She has been doing this proffesionally for nearly 20 years. I feel really old by saying this, but i've been down with her since the very beginning. She has one of the greatest voices of all time. Her songwriting ability is amazing (and so overlooked). She's viewed as a diva, and tho' she can put on that image, she's one of the sweetest, down-to-earth artists in the industry...which is amazing since she's one of the most successful artists of all time. This album however, is not her finest moment. Infact, i personally think this is her weakest album...unless u wanna consider her Glitter soundtrack an official studio album. Mariah's voice is more than intact and her lyrics are as powerful as ever. My only complaint here is that more of the subject matter is charted territory and is not much of a stretch for her. And like a mentioned in the song-by-song review, she sounds a little board on a few of the songs. Is that due to the subject matter or the production. The production is why i'm mostly a little disappointed in the album. It seems like Mariah has done what a few great artists of our time have done...watered down their music because commercial music fans aren't demanding REAL music. Since Mariah is an R-N-B artist, she may be taking in consideration that commerical Rap and R-N-B fans aren't requiring anything from the music getting radio play and success. Production is a sleep-fest or just plan bad. Lyrics have gotten boring and uninspiring and talent is always required. Mariah has devoted nearly half of her albums to the "hot" talent at the moment...but when that leads 2 boring efforts from Scott Storch, Swizz Beats, Young Jeezy, and T-Pain...when do u finally put your foot down. Lastly, we are coming off of the Emancipation album. People called it her "come-back" album, even tho' her Charmbracelet had 3 hits and was an amazing album. Emancipation had a thick, solid soulful sound. Sure, it had ?ustionable apparances from Nelly, but the album was amazing. A perfect mix of radio-ready joints and solid musical masterpieces. The lyrics were flawless and timeless. I respect Mariah if she purposly wanted to have a low-key vibe on this album (and i think she did) but i will say i'll be listening to Emancipation much more than E=MC2. I love that the CD insert is laced with lyrics since that's one of the album's strongest points.

I know a few other people have got the album. I'd like 2 know what other's think.

yea. when i read AJ or Tim's reviews, it usually determine 99% of the tyme weather or not imma get the album. I love Mariah, i love her style, her voice, and her talent, and how she bounced back when things went awry for her awhile back... she definitely deserves recognition for her hard work. I dont think shes got that Diva attitude.. more less,.. she is down to earth and a sweet girl, .. id hang out with her thats 4 sho..

xo,

cookie

Thanx nice review AJ, i've been a big Mariah fan every since the Daydream album (one of my favs) i wish MC didn't go for what was so-called hot and got wack artist like young jeezy and t-pain i haven't got it yet but i'll still give it a good listen.. Mariah's one of my favorite artists she always puts out good quality albums gotta get this one.

The ONLY thing that kills me is the ridiculous dirty south "ay"s turned down in the background. Why on God's green earth are they there? Still a beautiful song.

You'll flip even more when you listen more closely. Its your favourite guest, young jeezy.lol. at least i think it is

I've only had the album for 3 days...and the more i listen 2 it, the more i like it. I get something new out of the lyrics with each listen and come 2 grips with the consistant sound of the production. It's probably still her weakest in my opinion...just not as weak as a thought. There are hiccups in between the greatness.

The ONLY thing that kills me is the ridiculous dirty south "ay"s turned down in the background. Why on God's green earth are they there? Still a beautiful song.

You'll flip even more when you listen more closely. Its your favourite guest, young jeezy.lol. at least i think it is

I like jeezy on the song

I got the album a few days ago. And I have to say I Love it, I was a bit worried about how it'd be but She's done a good job in this.

"I wish you well" brings the old mariah back, she could do more stuff like that. And I disagree with AJ I love side effects lol sorry!!

It's a shame that MAriah has lost some of her great voice. If u have seen her performances lately her voice isn't what it used to be and she uses a lot of playback in part of her live singing :-( but she's still one of the best!!

Edited by Sandy