JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Should Hancock Be Rated "R"?

There has been sum talk recently in the forums if Hancock should be Rated R or not. While Will's character in Hancock naturally lends itself to a more mature rating, the film has been publicized as more of a fun PG-13 type movie. (Trailer/Poster)

But, initial reviews and the storyline also lend themselves to a R rating.

Should Hancock Be rated R??

Well, a Rated R movie will decrease a movie's box office. Especially a summer movie.

And personally I know that if the movie is rated R, I won't be seeing it. And thats the same for my family and close friends. So an R rating is something that can have a great impact on how a movie is perceived as well as it total income. Movie studios know that Will Smith is a major box office draw. While I'm not saying that the movie won't make a huge amount of money, the studios know that they can get EVEN MORE with a PG-13 Rating.

HOWEVER, when it comes to winning a Oscar, It IS best to go with An "R" rating. Which brings up the question: Should Seven Pounds be rated "R"?? If Will is serious about winning an Oscar for this one, I say the answer is yes. Most Oscar winning movies are rated "R". (Nowadays) And in a movie like this where box office income is NOT the primary motive it may be in the film's and Will's best interests.

What do you guys think??? :sipread:

Im surprised too actually. This is an interesting topic. I dont want it to be rated R because it will decrease enormously the amount of people able to see it. And I dont think its gonna get him closer to the oscar. So lets say they put it pg 13, I think is good enough.

I don't see Hancock as an R rated movie. I also think it would be stupid 2 put stuff in the movie 2 make it rated R as it doesn't seem like it is or was intended 2 be. And making a movie rated R 2 get an Oscar is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. I just want an entertaining movie that i will wanna watch often even tho' i probably will only watch it ever few years. Nobody expected Bad Boys or Men In Black 2 win any Oscars but u can watch them again and again. Movies worth of Oscars are usually boring in my opinion...ha ha. I just want a good movie with a JJ+FP track on the soundtrack.

Yeah, everything about the movie, the trailor, and the cast just have the PG-13 vibe. I'm wit u...make the movie the way it's intended 2 be and let the people who rate them do their thing. Adding crap 2 make it R rated or taking crap away 2 make it PG-13 is just stupid. FP isn't cutting Explict albums and then cleaning them up 2 get rid of the label...ha ha. He's also not going out of his way 2 keep them without lables. If u are worried about that kinda stuff, can it even be called art?

• 3 months later...