JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The official MLB thread!

VIsqo

it's hard for me to get too much into the baseball season in the middle of the nba playoff time but i'm pulling for a mets-yankees subway series this fall

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Yankees have poor oportunities this year in baseball. Theres a lot of really good teams out there fighting to death for a place in the playoffs. Well, then again the Giants won the superbowl...damn them..

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Pedro is back tonight and Joba is gonna start his first career game. Ortiz will wear a cast for the next 3 weeks and the Marlins are still first place with Tampa, so theres plenty of interesting news in baseball today!

DID YALL SEE THE SOX-RAYS BRAWL LAST NIGHT?

Yeah. Eight people have been suspened. Coco Crisp was suspened for seven games and James Shields for six games...

s_mlb_cocobrawl_080606_mezzn.300w.jpg

Edited by Trey

HE HOME RUN BY CINCINNATI'S KEN GRIFFEY JR. IN THE FIRST INNING WAS THE 600TH HOME RUN OF HIS MAJOR LEAGUE CAREER. GRIFFEY BECAME THE SIXTH PLAYER ALL-TIME TO REACH THE 600-HOME RUN PLATEAU.

HE COULD HAVE BEEN THE BEST PLAYER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME! IF IT WASNT FOR THE INJURIES... ILL DEDICATE A TOPIC FOR HIM..

• 2 weeks later...

Mariners fire McLaren; bench coach Riggleman takes over

SEATTLE -- John McLaren was fired Thursday as manager of the Seattle Mariners, who began the season with playoff aspirations and now have the worst record in the major leagues.

Bench coach Jim Riggleman will run the Mariners for the rest of their lost season, beginning Friday night in Atlanta.

The Mariners made the announcement before the team left on its road trip and three days after general manager Bill Bavasi was fired. McLaren was the second manager in the majors to be fired this season -- the New York Mets dismissed Willie Randolph this week.

In 156 games over two seasons with McLaren as manager, the Mariners were 68-88. Entering Thursday, Seattle, which many observers thought had the talent to compete for the American League West, was last in the division with a 25-47 record -- 17½ games back in a four-team division.

McLaren was an assistant for 21½ years in the majors before he took over as Seattle's manager last July when Mike Hargrove abruptly quit.

This season, the revamped Mariners expected to reach their first postseason since 2001. Instead, they are on pace to become the first team to lose 100 games with a $100 million player payroll.

A frustrated McLaren unleashed a profanity-laced tirade on his team's poor play on June 4, but that didn't get the Mariners back on track. They're 4-12 in June and have lost nine of their last 10 games at home.

"John worked extremely hard, but our team continued to underperform compared to our expectations," Mariners vice president and GM Lee Pelekoudas said in a statement on the team Web site. "With 90 games left on our schedule, we owe it to ourselves and our fans to do everything we can to win as many games as possible.

"At the same time, as we move towards the trade deadline and decisions have to be made on the futures of the players on our ballclub, I wanted to see if a different voice could make a difference in their performance."

Riggleman managed the Chicago Cubs for five seasons from 1995 to 1998, leading them to a second-place finish and a wild-card playoff berth in 1998. In eight years as a manager with the Cubs and San Diego Padres, he has a career record of 486-598.

When asked Wednesday night if he was worried about his future before yet another loss, to Florida, the mostly sunny McLaren laughed.

"You know, it's business as usual for me," he said, with a hint of emotion in his voice and eyes. "I come out here with the positive attitude, ready to grind. It's a new day. Not happy with where we are, but I know where we want to go. And I'm here just to work hard."

"I'm here to win this game tonight. That's the attitude I will always have."

Not anymore.

McLaren was thrust into the managerial role when Hargrove suddenly resigned midway through last season and the Mariners making a surprising challenge in the AL West. Under McLaren's lead, the Mariners stayed in the playoff race into late August before a nine-game losing streak ended their postseason hopes.

Seattle management gave McLaren a roster this season most believed was talented enough to make a strong run at the Angels. Instead, the Mariners have been a "dysfunctional" unit -- as Bavasi said on his way out earlier this week -- and stumbled from the start.

The acquisition of starting pitcher Erik Bedard has been mostly a bust, with Bedard carrying a 4-4 record into his scheduled start Friday in Atlanta and getting highly criticized for his lack of pitching deep into games. There have been injury problems with the bullpen -- namely closer J.J. Putz -- and an anemic offense with players performing nowhere near their prior benchmarks.

SOURCE!

Seems a bit early to me. It's not his fault that most of his players suck.

Edited by Trey