JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

born to reign

Ok so heres the deal i recently started listening to born to reign and i got the feeling will was ahead of his time forsome reason today rappers are with rnb artists spittin on club tracks like fat joe i wont tell, but on Wills I Cant Stop I LOVE IT!!! this album is sooooooooooooooooo underrated

Yeah, I never understood why so many hate this album... I mean, i can't say it's Wills best album, but then, I can't say that about BWS, Willenium or L&F... I think all of Wills albums are great, and B2R is no exception.

Momma Knows, How Da Beat Goes, Maybe, I Gotta Go Home, Block Party, 1000 Kisses, I Can't Stop and Nothin' On My Mind... C'mon! These are great tracks! I can't understand how people can think that they are bad... I love all of Wills songs, but I feel that the songs from his other albums can get boring to listen to after a while, but B2R is a album that always stays fresh!

Yeah, I never understood why so many hate this album... I mean, i can't say it's Wills best album, but then, I can't say that about BWS, Willenium or L&F... I think all of Wills albums are great, and B2R is no exception.

Momma Knows, How Da Beat Goes, Maybe, I Gotta Go Home, Block Party, 1000 Kisses, I Can't Stop and Nothin' On My Mind... C'mon! These are great tracks! I can't understand how people can think that they are bad... I love all of Wills songs, but I feel that the songs from his other albums can get boring to listen to after a while, but B2R is a album that always stays fresh!

:yeahthat: :iagree:

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Love this album. Not his best, of course, but full of great tracks like 'I Can't Stop', '1,000 kisses' or 'I Gotta Go Home'. One of my favourite albums without any doubt, and definitely underrated.

Edited by Ale

Sure the album has it's moments...."Act Like You Know", "Born To Reign" "How Da Beat Goes" and "Block Party" are some of my favorite Will songs! But then again....it has some serious wack tracks like "I Can't Stop", "Maybe" "1000 Kisses". If you compaire it 2 other Will Smith or JJFP albums, this has to be one of his worst.

ow cmon, Maybe aint whack!, its my girlfriend and I song!! I think he did a wonderful job there. I cant stop is whack though, I give it to u there....

a handful of good songs, and a handful of average songs. Not bad at all. But as a complete album it just didn't hit me. It came at a crossroads for me musically anyway. I was 18 and began to change what sort of stuff i listened to so was maybe pushed to the side abit.

yeah it is one of my least faveourite Will albums but the strange thing is, everytime i play it, it surprises me how good it is. I just seem to have it in my head that its not a great album, but in actual fact its way better than most CDs i own by other artists anyway.

you know, alot of the criticism is the fact he went away from mainstream production on the records. it was all inhouse and unfortunately not jazzy in house.

by the way, i've been meaning to ask this....do we have a list of who produced what for will? Wikipedia for artists with albums out now has all kinds of info but even Lost and Found doesnt have info on there about who produced what...

well, born to reign is underrated.. it's sure

I really love some trax of it, act like u know, gimme tonight are some of his best solo tracks.. how da beat goes, block party, born to reign are great too...but we have to say b2r has some of his worst stuff.. I mean, I cant stop it's horrible...

So many people dislike "I Can't Stop"...ha ha. It's funny because I saw them perform it live a week before the album dropped. I would never say that it's one of his strongest songs, but i don't mind it at all. I think seeing it live, with all of that energy, the dancers, and Jazzy Jeff + Tra-Knox doing their thing, i'll always see the song in a way few people will.

Over all, i appriciate the album for the experiment that it served. When u look back at 2002, it waz a weird place for Hip-Hop. U had all the pop rappers like Nelly and Ja-Rule serving up alot of crappy music...then u still had the 'underground' still getting some shine with the moderate attention that Jeff's album got, then u had FP releasing an album with originals "samples" and live instruments...when an R-N-B group backing him. That took alot of boldness and creativity. I don't care that it's not his best album and that i rarely listen 2 it the whole way thru' (other than blistering hot summer days). It served it's purpose. I wish another single followed sooner and that the album got promoted. "1,000 Kisses" waz a great song and video. It waz just 4 or 5 months late...ha ha. I STILL wish the alternate mix they used for the video was available. Thinking back on the time and the music...i just may have 2 pop it in.

• 3 weeks later...

Props, to Will for being experimental on Born to reign.. very underratted ''Act like ya know'' ''Block party'' Nothin on my mind'' are some of my fav, tracks i wish Tra-Knox had a chance to get there album out i liked them but thought they were a little bit of an overkill on the album.