JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Do you think that Summertime is their best song?

analogue

I think people say its JJFP's best song meaning single-wise. Of course no one is gonna say "Then She Bit Me" is their best track. I've been playing 'Summertime' lately for some weird reason and honestly, I think it could very well be their best track ever made. The production itself is timeless and I don't know about you guys but it instantly makes me feel blissful inside because I live at the Jersey Shore, so every summer I hit the beach almost everyday and theres nothing like it. Lyrically, FP is writing from the heart. The vocabulary and rhyme scheme are also superb. I think it is better written than Parents, Girls and Nightmare.

In my opinion, it probably is their best song. It has definitely stood the test of time, almost everyone can relate to it. It still gets radio play during the summer, not many can say that after that many years. I'm not sure if it is my favorite song of theirs (I like I'm looking for the one just a little bit more), but its definitely one of my top favorites of their stuff.

Edited by bart5

To really say which song is their best is a crazy thing 2 do but if i had 2, i'd say yes. It is their best. The production is flawless and timeless. The lryics totally capture the essense of the topic. Lyrically, not may songs of any genre can claim 2 be on it's level. It's a classic, simply put.

yeh its timeless, and a great great hip-hop song. But doesn't really represant what JJFP are about as a whole in my opinion. So although it could very well be their best work, it is very hard to compare with other songs

I agree with Kev.

Will's voice in 'Summertime' doesn't sound as fresh as in other songs. He said he had a cold when he made it. Anyway it's a classic and nobody can deny that, and it's probably their best work, but for me it can't be compared with the 'Code Red' album.

The fact that it is different from previous JJFP material is another reason I like it so much. It was JJFP coming out of a comfort zone, and experimenting with styles and to me, it turned out monumental. I also think, the experimentation and versatility shown in Summertime is what allowed JJFP to make an album with the variations in Code Red. If you say it's incomparable to previous work, then to be truthful, we can't hate on albums like B2R, because based on previous materials content, we have nothing to compare it to. It's about what you as a person like more. For example, in terms of hip hop... commercial new age, and old skool commercial. In terms of content, they aren't comparable, but everyone makes the comparison.

So yeah, I think it's their best :lolsign:

my fav. JJFP song of all time is "I'm looking for the one...." I've also turned a lot of my friends onto that song as well. But Summertime is a close 2nd. But I do agree with Ale, and also his rhyming isn't as tight as on many other songs he did in that time period.

Edited by sonic1988

"Summertime" was more than one of the biggests and greatest Hip-Hop singles of all time. It waz JJ+FP coming back after some people thought they couldn't. It waz the haters finally getting a reason 2 shut up. It waz the 1st time people really heard FP's voice mature and lyrics with more substance. It was JJ+FP true growth as artists. Classic.

p.s. Where did u hear he had a cold when he recorded it?? I've never heard that...his voice sounds fine.