JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why do people dislike I, Robot?

MaxFly

It's not about convincing anyone it was bad. It's about someone who doesn't like the movie being able to give valid specifics to back up their opinion. For whatever reason, you haven't really done that yet. And the few that you did state we're easily explainable and to me, can't be considered as plot holes, because they just took some understanding.

I don't know, I think he jumped in and explained some stuff, I can see where he's coming from on the plot holes he mentioned. And I hafta give him credit, expressing displeasure about anything Will Smith related on this forum is a brave thing to do. :lolsign:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I hafta give him credit, expressing displeasure about anything Will Smith related on this forum is a brave thing to do. :lolsign:

Unless of course it's about lack of music, then displeasure is a necessity :lol:

I'm all for people having their own opinion, and I'm happy Ale (couldn't you have used MIW here as well? :lol:) is expressing his opinion. I just don't think he has expressed what Max was looking for when he made this topic. That's my opinion on his opinion, if ya catch my drift.

I just don't think he has expressed what Max was looking for when he made this topic. That's my opinion on his opinion, if ya catch my drift.

That's what I'm getting at. If I was looking for generalizations... "The plot was bad. There were plot holes" I wouldn't have made the thread; these are all things I have heard already. I'm simply looking for specifics.

I said Will's performance is bad because he's trying to be funny in a serious movie, which makes people say he's not really acting, he's just being himself. That's basically due to a bad script. His useless comments (Del Spooner: "You must know my ex-wife"), jokes and all those things make people think the movie is a waste of time because they wanted to see a good (or at least decent) sci-fi movie, and they aren't seeing that at all.

This is the main reason why almost everyone thinks this movie was bad, and with this I mean critics and movie fans with some taste and knowledge about cinema. I don't pay attention to people that say this movie is good because they loved the special effects. If we don't have a convincing performance, the movie can't be good by any means. And no, there was no chemistry between Will and Bridget at all.

Of course each one has his opinion, and I respect it. But sometimes things are pretty obvious...

Edited by Ale

Some valid points made there, none I agree with but valid all the same.

This is the main reason why almost everyone thinks this movie was bad, and with this I mean critics and movie fans with some taste and knowledge about cinema.

You do realise that you are being selective with that comment and only using it because it benefits you right now in trying to have a dig at our movie knowledge. Because in reality, the people you throw in our face as being knowledgeable now, are the same people that you wouldn't listen to if they criticised a movie you liked. Plus, these are probably the same people who criticised WWW and BaggerVance (which was good). Both movies that you liked better than I, Robot. Hardly consistent.

This is the main reason why almost everyone thinks this movie was bad, and with this I mean critics and movie fans with some taste and knowledge about cinema. I don't pay attention to people that say this movie is good because they loved the special effects. If we don't have a convincing performance, the movie can't be good by any means. And no, there was no chemistry between Will and Bridget at all.

Of course each one has his opinion, and I respect it. But sometimes things are pretty obvious...

Thanks Ale... that's pretty much what I was looking for.

I can understand why those who were fans of the short stories were disappointed. It's the same way I initially reacted when I first saw 2001: A Space Odssey. I'm a huge fan of the series and have read all 4 books multiple times. Most people aren't aware that there are 2010, 2061, and 3001 Space Odysseys. Unlike most people from this generation, I read the book long before I even realized there was a movie. Needless to say, I was sourly disappointed when I first saw it, and even more so when I realized that most others liked it. So I watched it again and removed all bias that I had developed from reading the book and watched it trying to forget, as best I could, that I had ever read the book. And you know what... I liked it. It took me having to remove by pre-existing bias and seeing the movie as a standalone work for me to appreciate it.

I don't think it's true that most people dislike I, Robot. I believe it got something like 60% on Rotten Tomatoes and 77% from users there. It seems that quite a number of people who didn't like it derived thier dislike from their experiences with the short stories. Those who had no knowledge of the shorts stories overwhelmingly liked it, or at the very least, found it entertaining... far from finding it a horrible movie on par with Wild Wild West. We must be careful in mistaking our bias in favor of previous works for "taste and knowledge about cinema."

Without reading all of the posts, all I'm gonna say is that i don't know anybody who doesn't like the movie. Everybody i know likes it...most of them love it. And a few of them have read the book. I can understand people who would be upset if they read the book. The truth is, there aren't really any movies that follow the book they are based on to a tee. On top of that, with a book, the reader paints the whole story in their head. How on earth can a movie magically fit any readers imagination?

I love the movie...millions of people do. It's recent classic. Haters and book nerds can complain all they want. If u ain't got nuttin' nice 2 say...

I love the movie...millions of people do. It's recent classic. Haters and book nerds can complain all they want. If u ain't got nuttin' nice 2 say...

Well, if you only want to hear positive opinions about the movie you'll know. That doesn't mean negative opinions are far from the truth. Let's remember we're all WS fans here.

Well, if you only want to hear positive opinions about the movie you'll know. That doesn't mean negative opinions are far from the truth. Let's remember we're all WS fans here.

I agree, we can't turn away opinions just because they are negative towards something. And it's not like anyone else on here hasn't been negative towards WS about other material. After all an opinion can't be wrong, it's just a matter of explaining you're opinion rather than just generalising it. Now Ale has given valid reasons as to why he didn't like I, Robot or not, I see no problem. He's allowed to not like it, even if I don't agree :lol:

So in conclusion to this post, we have learnt that people should stop reading books, they make movies look bad.

Pretty much... We've also learned that there are, indeed, people who don't think Wild Wild West is Will's worse movie. I mean, we're all FP fans here, but let's be a little objective.

• Members
There are a bunch of other things... it's just a matter of using your imagination and going with the clues that are provided. I personally don't enjoy movies where they tell you everything.
I totally agree on that one. That’s also the reason why I like I Am Legend so much, even though I think I Robot is just a oke movie. I would rate I Robot a 6,5 out of 10 nice movie but nothing special. Edited by Fresh Prince of Amsterdam