JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will in Spielberg's "Chicago 7"?

JusticeKnight

im not excited bcoz ive read a few articles on this and i still have no idea what this film is actually about lol.

Yeah, this is really an American story...could have limited appeal in foriegn markets even with Will and Spielberg.

Rad, is it true that he's going to get a very small role as the 8th member of Chicago 7 ?

I've read the story and it seems like it's a pretty small role. If I'm not mistaken he's up for the role of Bobby Seale.

Yeah, I don't see him getting cast as anyone but Bobby Seale. He was the only one of the people on trial who was African American.

Maybe one of the attorneys on either side was black, but I don't see Will getting cast in a smallish role like that.

Yeah, Bobby Seale protested the Judge and cursed him out which led to his 4 year jail sentence.

After that the story continues without him. And that's probably like a 10 min. max scene.

Will's comments about this movie, in the link you provided, let me to believe it is a small role.

Almost all the leading casts are picked, Sacha as abby etc. but he asked Will to spare ''SOME'' free time, as if to say it's just a small part. If it was a lead role they would have cast him officially a bit earlier, like they did with Sacha bara cohen.

Ah well, it'll be a good experiment for him acting wise. It'll won't take much time from his schedule

but I was actually hoping him to star in a Spielberg movie as the leading actor. Hope that'll happen in the future.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This link gives some good background on the event and the people involved...though the person is negative on Will being in the movie and Spielberg directing.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=13157

Well, negative? He's just saing that "It's hard to imagine Will Smith spitting curse words at a judge in a movie". I would love to see will do this. Will screaming at a judge, i imagine it to sound kinda like the last ten seconds of "I Wanna Rock" but with some curse words thrown in there. And, will cursed in BB I and II, so he shouldn't have a "moral" problem with doing that again... C'mon it's Spielberg, I think most actors would do any role he asks them to do, and I don't think (or hope) that Will would be different.

This link gives some good background on the event and the people involved...though the person is negative on Will being in the movie and Spielberg directing.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=13157

Well, negative? He's just saing that "It's hard to imagine Will Smith spitting curse words at a judge in a movie". I would love to see will do this. Will screaming at a judge, i imagine it to sound kinda like the last ten seconds of "I Wanna Rock" but with some curse words thrown in there. And, will cursed in BB I and II, so he shouldn't have a "moral" problem with doing that again... C'mon it's Spielberg, I think most actors would do any role he asks them to do, and I don't think (or hope) that Will would be different.

It's has an underlining current that has been echoed more feriously in other post around the web that people have a hard time seeing or wanting "fan friendly" and "safe" black man like Will Smith playing a black panther. Not my thoughts at all, but what others are saying.

I like the idea thats it's a smaller role, it'll give Will a chance to be around experienced actors, directors, etc, but won't affect him in making other movies, such as when filming starts in Seven Pounds. It's just like the appearance in Jersey Girl, he did it in the same year as I, Robot and Shark Tale, so he made a small cameo, with what was an inspirational scene and still kept his status as a box office machine. I'm looking forward to this.

• 3 weeks later...

This isnt really about Will, but if he's in the movie its interesting news...

Kaminski's next feature shoot will reteam him with Spielberg and could put them both back in the Oscar race again: "We're going to do the 'Chicago Seven' starting in April ('The Trial of the Chicago 7,' written by Aaron Sorkin). That's the story of the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. I'm fortunate that (Spielberg) is a very productive director.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...4246c7bf0848358

ok, so filming starts in april. Hope will has the time to do this movie....

Edited by viber_91

• Members

I'm excited as hell. I like his music but I think he's a LOT better at acting and I, for one, would not be sad at all if his musical activities got reduced to performing every now and then. He already has a Grammy, all kinds of MTV awards and sold MILLIONS of records so there isn't much left for him to achieve in that field. He should focus on acting.

And how cool is this? If everything goes according to plan we'll have 3 Will Smith movies this year. "Hancock" in the summer and "Seven Pounds" with "Chicago Seven" in December. I know that he would most likely be in like two or three scenes in the "Chicago Seven" but still, that's a pretty good year for Will's movie fans:)

P.S. How cool would it be if he got nominated for Best Actor Oscar for "Pounds" and Best Supporting Actor for "Chicago Seven"?? :D

man, another movie? c'mon guys, this means that we wont have any music in the next 3 years or so. i'm not excited at all...

why would this mean that we wont have music in the next three years? He's gonna film SP before the summer, and if he's in chicago 7 he would film that this spring allso. he would be free (except doing promotion for Hancock and SP) to do whatever he wants half this year if he doesn't decide to start shoot another movie this summer/fall.

I really want another album, but if he wants to focus on movies, this one would be a great chance for him...

• 2 months later...

Ok, starting this thread again... Some news, but I don't know how legit this is...

TOM CRUISE and NICOLE KIDMAN's son CONNOR has landed his big acting break - he's to play WILL SMITH's son in a new movie, according to reports

The 13-year-old was hired after wowing casting bosses at an audition for The Trial of the Chicago 7, which will be directed by Steven Spielberg.

A source tells American tabloid National Enquirer, "Tom is thrilled because Connor went through the auditions like all the other children, and seems to have been given the job based on his talent.

"Nicole's excited too, because Connor has wanted to act for a long time. Now he's getting his big break."

Smith - a close pal of Cruise - will play activist Bobby Seale in the film, about the trial of demonstrators arrested during the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...%20role_1065115

connor-cruise-13th-birthday.jpg

- Now, as I said, I don't know if this is just old stuff that some journalist is writing about. But I hope that this means that the movie is back on track and that Will is going to be in it!

Edited by viber_91

• 2 months later...

Smith puts the brakes on Spielberg's new project

It seems that Will Smith won't be starring in Steven Spielberg's next film after all. The American actor was bashful at Wednesday night's premiere of his new superhero film Hancock, telling Pandora that plans for a film version of the infamous "Chicago Seven" trial had changed. "I doubt I will be in it," he said. "Or probably not, anyway."

Until now it was widely thought that the I Am Legend star, left, would play Bobby Seale, the founder of the Black Panthers civil rights group. Persistent internet rumours appeared confirmed when Smith told reporters in January that he was "confident" he would be involved, claiming that Spielberg had briefed him on filming dates.

Source:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/colum...iew-851035.html

Pity. :worried:

• 1 month later...

I read an interview with Bobby Seale in an swedish film magazine where they talked some about the movie. It's prob. just a part of some bigger interview from some other magazine....

He said something like: Have you heard about the new Spielberg film? He is going to make a movie called The Trial of the Chicago 7. Guess who is going to play me?

And the interviewer said something like Sam Jackson or something like that...

Bobby replied: No, Will Smith...

And the interviewer told him what Will had said, the quote "I doubt I will be in it. Or probably not, anyway". And Bobby Said something like: I need to talk to him!

I really hope he does talk to him, and get him to do the movie!

Edited by viber_91