JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

DMX planning to release gospel album in '08--No Joke!

bigted

DMX Planning To Release Gospel Album In '08 -- No Joke!

MC has two albums on tap for this year, one of which will be 'straight 'Give God the glory' ' songs.

Jan 2 2008 2:42 PM EST

Many of DMX's conversations with God have been a matter of public record since his career bloomed to superstar status in 1998. His catalog features nearly as many inspirational ghetto hymns — such as "Lord Give Me a Sign," "A Minute For Your Son" and "The Prayer" — as it does party anthems and street-corner knockers, and last year he pondered changing his name for "spiritual reasons." But now, the Dog has decided to go in full throttle with his first ever gospel rap album, which he told MTV News will be coming out this year.

"I [was] the first n---a to put out two albums in one year, now I'm gonna hit 'em again — drop two albums on the same f---in' day, yo," X said from his home in Arizona on Friday. "A double album will make mutha----as mad because they gotta spend more money — plus it's already a long album. I'm talking about a hip-hop album and a gospel album.

Combined, the project will be called Walk With Me Now and You'll Fly With Me Later.

The Walk With Me Now portion will be dedicated to straight-up, raw raps while the latter will feature his non-secular undertaking.

"The same title is gonna be on both albums, but on one album one part [of the title] is gonna be [highlighted]," he clarified, while on "the other album, the other name is gonna be [highlighted]."

As for the gospel album, X noted that the lyrics will be "without cursing — how 'bout that one? No songs about b----es, no songs about robbing, just straight 'Give God the glory.' "

He wasn't quite as talkative when asked why he decided to put out a gospel album now. "Destiny, I guess," he replied. "I just go with the flow."

During a hiatus from hip-hop a few years ago, X said he contemplated leaving music altogether to become a minister, but decided to return to the mic. On Walk With Me Now and You'll Fly With Me Later, he said he'll be working with a variety of producers, from the familiar to the unknown.

"It's a mix," he said. "I got my own dogs banging out tracks. Of course I'm gonna feed my pups, but it's always gonna be Swizz [beatz], PK, [Dame] Grease. It's always gonna be that. Real talk."

The albums don't yet have a set release date, but the enigmatic and energetic MC said he's planning to have them out within the next few months. He recently inked a deal with the independent label Bodog Music to release the project. Bodog is probably most known for the online gambling division of their company but they have also gotten into promoting mixed-martial-arts fights and other ventures.

"Its gonna be real big," Dark Man X said of his new deal. "I got the right amount of money I need. The thing about these big record labels is that they give you a whole bunch of money just so they can take it back from you. Then you don't even own your own sh--. I need to own my sh--, son. [bodog] got enough money to do what I need to do and I'm good. They got more than enough promotion, they got other sh-- I can bridge off into. Not soft drinks, I'm not talking about sneakers — I'm talking about fights!"

Another big fight, according to X, was his brief stint on Columbia Records. After he left Def Jam, in 2006 he signed a multi-album deal with Sony — his original stomping grounds. (The label had signed X in the early '90s but only released an underground single.) Airings of a BET reality show called "DMX: Soul of a Man" preceded the August 2006 release of Year of the Dog ... Again (the original Year of the Dog was supposed to come out on Def Jam, but X abandoned the album over creative differences), but X said he time at Sony was doomed almost from the start.

"Sabotage!", he howled. "Sony turned out to be phony." He points to what he described as a mishandled rollout of his first single, "We in Here," and an unauthorized A&R call on another potential single "Dog Love," as two debacles.

"The second single was gonna be 'Dog Love,' " he said. "It was supposed to be three different broads on the hook: Amerie, Keyshia Cole and my artist Shan. Each one was gonna have their own hook. [sony] put Amerie on there and left [everybody else out]. [Editors' note: Janyce also appears on the song.] They f---ed my whole sh-- up!

"I had five #1-debuting records in a row," he continued. "[Year of the Dog, Again] was supposed to be number six. [sony] released another record the same day they released mine, the Now [That's What I Call Music!] CD. They let the sh-- beat me by 1,000 [Editors' note: SoundScan figures show Now selling approximately 127,000 CDs that week while X's album came in just shy of 126,000 copies], and they didn't tell me until after the week was up."

DMX's former rep at Columbia was unavailable for comment at press time.

Link: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1578827/20080102/dmx.jhtml

I don't see why anyone would see this as a big surprise. Through all of his problems and mistakes he's made, he's stayed lyrically on point. The only reason his career has slipped is due to weak production and bad promotion...and maybe a little of his crazy actions. I think his last album was a step in the right direction...even tho' one of the best songs he did for it waz left off the album. So much of his music has has a strong spiritual undertone and he does a cuss-free gospel trac or 2 on every album. I look forward 2 this.

I saw this one yesterday and think it's absolutely hilarious he curses every other word in the same sentences as becoming a minister and talking about his gospel album. it's absolutely not genuine if he goes and talks about killing on one cd and then is talking about turning the other cheek. i'm not impressed.

I saw this one yesterday and think it's absolutely hilarious he curses every other word in the same sentences as becoming a minister and talking about his gospel album. it's absolutely not genuine if he goes and talks about killing on one cd and then is talking about turning the other cheek. i'm not impressed.

I like a little DMX here and there but..come on, there comes a point when you are responsible for your actions in life, and not the Lord. X comes off like hes a pastor than the next day hes getting arrested.

http://www.grounduphiphop.com/2006/06/23/d...nal-mastermind/

Lets stop talking about it X and start to lead by example.

I like a little DMX here and there but..come on, there comes a point when you are responsible for your actions in life, and not the Lord. X comes off like hes a pastor than the next day hes getting arrested.

http://www.grounduphiphop.com/2006/06/23/d...nal-mastermind/

Lets stop talking about it X and start to lead by example.

hahahaa that link was hilarious. This crime was the best one though:

It’s Christmas Eve and DMX commits probably his most dull crime: Charged with unsafe lane changing, failure to signal and possession of a forged instrument. What exactly is a forged instrument? nycourts.gov gives me this explaination:

“Any instrument or article [including computer data or a computer program] containing written or printed matter or the equivalent thereof, used for the purpose of reciting, embodying, conveying or recording information, or constituting a symbol or evidence of value, right, privilege or identification, which is capable of being used to the advantage or disadvantage of some person.”

Well that still makes no sense to me, but needless to say, DMX never bragged about this one on record. “****in with X is unsafe! / Like changin lanes without indicating” would have burned though.

Uunsafe lane change and a forged instrument?? What was DMX thinking hahaha

Anyways I agree he should clean up his act but a gospel album is a step in the right direction.

Yeah, the pastor thing is a bit comical. He's crazy 2 talk like that if he continues to make the music he's made in the past. One thing that drives me crazy is when artists of any genre give praise 2 God and thank God while almost all of their music contradicts their so-called believes. I'm not saying ever person should be a saint, but if u are giving praise to God, u gotta walk the walk and talk the talk. They only talk. 100% of their videos are filled with skin-baring ho's and alcohol while they explicitly glorify material things. If u are spiritual, u should be living a life that reflects that...not doing everything in your power 2 fight it.

Yeah, the pastor thing is a bit comical. He's crazy 2 talk like that if he continues to make the music he's made in the past. One thing that drives me crazy is when artists of any genre give praise 2 God and thank God while almost all of their music contradicts their so-called believes. I'm not saying ever person should be a saint, but if u are giving praise to God, u gotta walk the walk and talk the talk. They only talk. 100% of their videos are filled with skin-baring ho's and alcohol while they explicitly glorify material things. If u are spiritual, u should be living a life that reflects that...not doing everything in your power 2 fight it.

I agree completely... I don't even find it funny. I just find it sad that people can delude themselves to that degree. It's actually a little scary.