JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Barack Obama

Schnazz

Obama killed in Mississippi last night, but it seems some in and connected to the Clinton campaign are intent on continuing the race baiting. I'm split between whether this is simply a case of individuals saying stupid things or whether this is strategic... For those of you familiar with Geraldine Ferraro, the nations first female vice presidential nominee, here's what she had to say concerning why she thought Obama has done so well...

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

When she was called on it by the Obama campaign, she defended herself by saying:

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," Ferraro said. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

Here's Obama's response:

Part of what I think Geraldine Ferraro is doing, and I respect the fact that she was a trailblazer, is to participate in the kind of slice and dice politics that's about race and about gender and about this and that, and that's what Americans are tired of because they recognize that when we divide ourselves in that way we can't solve problems," Obama said on NBC's "Today" show.

Obama keeps spitting that ether...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what's with the double talk concerning Obama not being ready to be President, but being a great Vice President on a Clinton/Obama ticket? The Clinton campaign has been trying to reassure voters that if they win the nomination, they can get two for the price of one... Unfortunately, this doesn't jive with their statements that Obama is not ready to be President... Here's Obaba's response...

With all due respect. I have won twice as many states as Senator Clinton. I have won more of the popular vote than Senator Clinton. I have more delegates than Senator Clinton. So I don't know how someobody who's in second place is offering the Vice Presidency to someone who's in first place. If I was in second place I could understand. But I'm winning.

But there's a second point. Bill Clinton in '92, when asked about his selection for VP, he said the only criteria is that the person is ready to be commander in chief. That was his criteria. Now they spent the last 2-3 weeks, with that ad with the phone call, saying "we're not sure he's ready." So I don't understand. If I'm not ready, how is that they think I'd be such a great VP? Do you understand that?

Let me be clear. I'm not running for Vice President. I'm running for President of the United States.

More ether...

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/white-on-white/

In fact, both West Virginia and Kentucky have gone against the national tide of the last 8 years and have been trending Republican. Also – and this needs to be said – a significant percentage of the voters in both those states have now indicated that they may not vote for a fellow Democrat simply because he’s black.

Pollsters know that people lie about race; voters rarely come out and say they will not vote for someone because he’s black. Instead, they say things like we’re hearing from West Virginia and Kentucky – that “race is a factor.”

In Kentucky, over 25 percent of Clinton supporters said race was a factor in their vote – about five times the national average for such a question. Clinton, if she really wanted to do something lasting, could ask her supporters why the color of a fellow Democrat’s skin is so important to their vote.

So, from a purely strategic point of view, the ability to win white blue-collar voters in an open-minded swing state is certainly more important than a solid red state. I would include Pennsylvania in that equation. Just weeks after all the talk of Obama’s problems in the Keystone state, most polls now show him beating McCain in the general election.

What happened in the last few weeks is that Appalachia, in a 24-7 media hothouse, skewed perception. We stared at it far too long, parsing it for meaning beyond its historic range and its hard prejudices.

The Gallup poll this week showed that the rest of the nation is closer to Oregon. Gallup’s daily national tracking poll of Democratic voters found Obama tied Clinton among white voters. He’s tied among people with no college. He’s actually leading – yes, leading! – with women. With the young, he’s leading 3-1. Clinton’s last demographic is women over 50

Obama on to the presidency..