JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

THE 'PRINCE IS INFURIATED BY HITLER QUOTE ANALYSIS

Smith 'Infuriated' by Hitler Quote Analysis

AOL

Posted: 2007-12-25 19:20:28

Filed Under: Movie News

(Dec. 25) - Will Smith is angry over celebrity gossip Web site articles that he said misinterpreted a recent remark he made in a Scottish newspaper about Adolf Hitler.

In a story published Saturday in the Daily Record, Smith was quoted saying: "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.'"

After Will Smith was quoted as saying that Adolf Hitler likely used twisted logic to justify his own actions as "good," many media outlets reported or implied that Smith believes Hitler was good. "Hitler was a vile, heinous vicious killer," Smith said Monday.

The quote was preceded by the writer's observation: "Remarkably, Will believes everyone is basically good."

Over the weekend, dozens of celebrity gossip Web sites posted articles about the comment, many saying that Smith believed that Hitler was a "good" person.

"It is an awful and disgusting lie," Smith said in a statement Monday provided by his publicist. "It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen. I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation."

"Adolf Hitler was a vile, heinous vicious killer responsible for one of the greatest acts of evil committed on this planet," read the statement.

I'm blaming Will.

Even though he hasn't said anything wrong, and is 100% correct,

he shouldn't have talked about controversial stuff (politics, scientology, religion) in the media when you know the consequences. And I hope he doesn't talk about it ever again. The media has been waiting from day 1 to bite on Will's words.

I'm blaming Will.

he shouldn't have talked about controversial stuff (politics, scientology, religion) in the media when you know the consequences. And I hope he doesn't talk about it ever again. The media has been waiting from day 1 to bite on Will's words.

You know what though... while I do partly wish that he would keep quiet on controversial topics given the reason you stated, it's really not a good enough reason. People are bound to take the things he says the wrong way, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that some people purposefully do so. Shying away from topics like that may be the most expedient thing for his career, but he shouldn't be forced to keep quiet on things simply because a few ignorant people choose to take his comments out of context. What if people start taking his comments on his religious beliefs out of context (which has already happened), or his comments on his marriage (which has already happended)... After awhile, Will will only be able to talk about "Summertime", "I, Robot" and the current album or movie he's promoting... and even then, I, Robot may be a sticky subject for a lot of people... Lol.

yeah its the freedom of speech debate. He said nothing wrong but i do think he should be careful with the things he says. It must be so difficult tho, hes been talking to so much of the media and said so many things, it just takes one line to be taken from all that and create this huge story.

At the end of the day we have to talk about different religions, racism, sexuality or we would all be ignorant, you shouldnt have to shy away from certain subjects, but it seems Will gonna have to watch what he says from now on.

I'm blaming Will.

You know what though... while I do partly wish that he would keep quiet on controversial topics given the reason you stated, it's really not a good enough reason. People are bound to take the things he says the wrong way, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that some people purposefully do so. Shying away from topics like that may be the most expedient thing for his career, but he shouldn't be forced to keep quiet on things simply because a few ignorant people choose to take his comments out of context. What if people start taking his comments on his religious beliefs out of context (which has already happened), or his comments on his marriage (which has already happended)... After awhile, Will will only be able to talk about "Summertime", "I, Robot" and the current album or movie he's promoting... and even then, I, Robot may be a sticky subject for a lot of people... Lol.

Freedom of speech, yeah right.

If I had to choose between a Will Smith who doesn't talk about controversial stuff and keeps his career going or a Will Smith who speaks his mind and could potentially end his career by the media, I'd choose the latter.

While we're on the subject, I still believe Will sometimes chooses extreme examples to justify his thoughts. He really talked to much about Tom and Scientology, he even went as far as saying 80% of it is the same as in the Bible, right or wrong that is such an easy bait to throw at the media, or about his sex life saying on Oprah and other channels that he has an open marriage, sometimes he chooses bad examples which lead to a lot of speculation, he could have avoided a lot of that. He can still talk about religion or his sexual life, but without saying that scientology is almost the same as the bible or saying I have an open marriage. There's a lot more to say than that without giving the media any bait.

I really really dislike his relationship with Tom cruise and that soccer player David Beckham. I wish he would hang out with guys like Denzel or Pitt for that matter. It's just a hunch and I could be wrong but I just feel that the relationship with Tom is having a negative effect on Will's interviews and his view of thinking. He never used to talk about Scientology and since a couple years that's all I hear, Tom this Tom that Scientology this S that. I'm definately not judging Tom or anything, from all I know he could be a great guy, which he probably is.

Edited by Typhoon20

I really really dislike his relationship with Tom cruise and that soccer player David Beckham. I wish he would hang out with guys like Denzel or Pitt for that matter. It's just a hunch and I could be wrong but I just feel that the relationship with Tom is having a negative effect on Will's interviews and his view of thinking. He never used to talk about Scientology and since a couple years that's all I hear, Tom this Tom that Scientology this S that. I'm definately not judging Tom or anything, from all I know he could be a great guy, which he probably is.

What does David have to do with this? He's a very nice guy and I'm sure Tom is too. Or now we have to tell Will who his friends must be? Come on, please.. :shakehead:

And one more thing: Will can talk about whatever. As you said, it's called 'freedom of speech'.

Edited by Ale

What does David have to do with this? He's a very nice guy and I'm sure Tom is too. Or now we have to tell Will who his friends must be? Come on, please.. :shakehead:

Personal opinion, everyone has 'em.

That doesn't mean I'm right, and I'm probably wrong.

And no, it doesn't mean we have to tell Will who to be friends with, again, it is just my personal opinion. That is the way I think and feel. You might disagree with it.

Plus, David and Tom almost always attract bad publicity.

I have never known Will for that, and ever since those 2 came along

the bad publicity Will is getting increased. As I said, for all I know those 2 are great friends to be with, which I'm sure they are. I haven't met them so I won't know though.

Are we talking about the same David Beckham? Because I'm talking about one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, an icon, an idol. Maybe the gossip magazines say many bad things about him or Victoria, all right, but who cares about that? I prefer knowing the opinion of the serious press, and I know Becks has worked a lot to be where he is. Same happens to Will.

Are we talking about the same David Beckham? Because I'm talking about one of the greatest sportsmen of all time, an icon, an idol. Maybe the gossip magazines say many bad things about him or Victoria, all right, but who cares about that? I prefer knowing the opinion of the serious press, and I know Becks has worked a lot to be where he is. Same happens to Will.

I would have to disagree. Calling Beckham as one of the greatest sportsmen of all time would be a pretty big and false statement. He's a decent soccer player, but one of the greatest sportsmen ever ? I think you're stretching it a bit. If it was not for his looks and marketing he would be nothing more than let's say Juninho. And even than I'd take Juninho over Becks as he has more to offer than just set pieces.

Edited by Typhoon20

oh wow, i go and enjoy Christmas and not go on here for three days and I get hit by AOL news and am like....what are the hype fans saying? haha, anyway, you take this with a grain of salt, as long as it doesn't blow up like it did for Tom when he called foul on the farce practice of psychiatric drug prescribing.

this should blow over. hopefully.