JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BOYZ II MEN "THROWBACK"

[quote=bigted,Aug 26 2004, 02:15 AM]No Michael on the album?!!! :eek4:[/quote]
Yeah, it really is kinda weird. I mean, he's 1/4th of the group and they aren't the same without him. He make their harmonies full and his monologs were part of the BIIM signature. I'm not sure the extent of his health problems but i know they've been serious on and off since 2000. He would miss some of their shows (and original member Marc Nelson...of Az Yet and singer of the 1999 hit song "15 Minutes" would sometimes fill in even tho' he's not a bass). U think he'd at least be able 2 record. Mike seemed like one of the nices guys in the industry. He waz soft spoken and always a positive kinda guy. He organized charity events and stuff without all the spotlight. I just hope he's doing good even tho' he's no longer active in the group.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Aug 24 2004, 11:20 PM]Yeah, it seems like artists and companies are flying over 2 Koch Records. But i dont know why. They put out albums and that's it...no promotion. Montell Jordan's came out with one video that got some play on BET but gain no real success. There waz a promo vinyl single released and that waz it. Deathrow's 2Pac remix album and live album came out with no videos, singles, etc. Now Boyz II Men, one of the most respected groups of all time come out with no video or singles. Hopefully they get on the ball. It's nice 2 have creative freedom, but it's no good if people don't hear your music.[/quote]
:werd: I agree with you a lil' bit 'cause there's garbage music in the mainstream, a lot of these ol' school r&b singers like Keith Sweat and Boyz II Men are selling nothing compared to what they used to sell and a lot of these younger r&b cats who have no skill (Like B2K, lol) get more attention in this 106&Park generation! Of course it's the same thing with the ol' school rappers, a lot of them aren't recognized in the mainstream except for LL and Will while rappers like Jay-Z can say the same rhyme for 4 years and still go multiplatinum! The whole music industry is messed up right now, KOCH records doesn't give artist as musical freedom as you'd think 'cause KRS-ONE released "Kristyles" last summer but KOCH left off 3 tracks that KRS-ONE planned to put on there, it only had 17 tracks, and KRS-ONE left KOCH this year and released his album on another independant label called Grit Records, if anyone cares check out his new label's website:[url="http://www.gritrecords.com"]Grit Records[/url] One day a lot of these ol' school artists'll retire when they have to put out more money to make their albums than they actually make on a top label, realistically only Will Smith could afford to not sell another record for the rest of his life 'cause he makes a lot of money off of movies. This is the reason why I don't wanna be too much involved in the music buisiness, it's just a pipedream realistically, you might be rich for a while IF you make it when you're young, IF you don't make it before 30, you're better off doing what you were doing before that 'cause teeny boopers won't buy your records and it seems that the older fans don't buy music at all these days 'cause I bet a lot of the people that bought "Born To Reign" or "Big Willie Style" weren't those fans during "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" era. :nhawong: A lot of fans don't keep it real and it ain't the artists fault like you said AJ, you act like KRS-ONE doesn't try but he knows the game better than you and me do, he'll end losing more money by signing to a top label 'cause he'll dish out more money for videos and singles to be made than he'll get back in return EVEN if he goes platinum, he could actually afford to make albums still 'cause independant artists get better money, but of course all labels are shady.

[quote=mfuqua23,Aug 26 2004, 01:00 PM]Very well put bigted. U kno, I still wanna be a big artist. Just maybe not on a double crossing label. btw, I'm checking that site out rite now.[/quote]
:werd: As younger artists coming into the game we should learn from the mistakes that the veterans have ran into and proceed the game with caution! I wanna rep for my people right, I don't wanna do something that'll make them feel that I let 'em down from what they taught, if I have to change my image to sell millions of records I won't do it, I wanna do it right and put Seaside Heights on the map the proper way in the hip-hop game no matter how long it takes me. BTW, as you could see checking out the website it mentioned that KRS-ONE rocked the mic last month in front of 35,000 fans, he's still on top of his game! :bowdown: I can't wait to buy his new CD "Keep Right" 'cause it comes with a bonus DVD of live performances and has 23 tracks! :switch:I would really like to see JJFP and the Blastmaster KRS rock the house one day together! :rock: Edited by bigted

• Admin
well said ted..if i was you id never sign with a record label..you'd probably be stuck on their roster for a couple of years and then they'd never release your album anyway.. when the biggest of big artists are getting done on record labels what chance does any new young artist have...

To get back on topic to this new Boyz II Men album, in the August 2004 issue of Vibe they give it a mediocre rating! :nhawong: Here's what they said about it:
"Following the disastrous of its 2002 release, Full Circle, Boyz II Men tries to silence it's career's death knell with Throwback Vol. 1, updating soulful oldies-but-goodies. Only, instead of fresh reinterpretations, the quartet gives listeners soulless Xeroxes. Vocals for ballads like Michael Jackson's "human Nature" and the Isley Brothers' "For the Love Of You" are notches below the originals. Although BIIM momentarily recaptures its shine with an acappella rendition of Debarge's "Time Will Reveal", Throwback isn't enough to throw them back atop the charts."(Marcus Reeves,Vibe Magazine) I think I like AJ's review better, you should consider being a hip-hop beat writer AJ 'cause you got good writing skills. :werd:

Vibe's writer is stupid. While i wanted more from this album, they are knocking some of the best trax on it. When an artist/group makes a cover album, u can't exactly hold the same standards against them that u would with a studio album. Either way, Full Circle waz a dope album. I still listen 2 that album from time 2 time, i think it's incredible. I have other friends who are 20-something who got it and loved it. Just cuz an album dosen't have big sales dosesn't meant it's bad. It seems these days that critics only exist 2 stress the bad and ignore the good. If u are a Boyz II Men and a fan of classic R-N-B, give the album a chance, that's all i can say.

Random note...

Not long ago in Japan, the Boyz released a single for "Grandfather's Clock." Of course, that song wazn't put on the album (tho' it is a bonus track on the Tawain version). Anyways, i love Boyz II Men and found the single at a decent price and had 2 get it. It also features another song not put on the album. Hopefully i'll have it by the end of the week and hopefully now only will the music be good, but hopefully the 2 "new" trax will also be prouduced by A Touch of Jazz.

AHHHHHHHH!!! I'm making this post and all of a sudden, last Friday's episode of 106 + Park came on. BOYZ II MEN IS PERFORMING "MOTOWNPHILLY" AS THE OLD SKOOL JOINT OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!! It's nice seeing them doin' their thing. Mike is definitly missed tho'...some of the harmonizing just isnt' anything like what it used 2 be. Hopefully this get some people buying this album!! AJ and Free came out at the end of their set and said New Edition could still rock some old steps live. They asked the Boyz 2 see if they could do the old Motownphilly steps (which they didn't do in the performance). They played the song and the guys nailed it!! :roll:

Good stuff.

Mike retired in 2002 due 2 health problems. Back in 2000 i remember reading he has some serious back problems and missed some of their touring.

Boyz II Men waz on 106 + Park last Friday and i caught some of the interview. They talked about doing all those covers. They basically just recorded TONS of songs and limited it down 2 what they thought waz the best. They were asked if they had any of their own songs that they hope never got covered by other groups. They said that they didn't object 2 anyone covering their songs, but that 60 million people might not be happy with someone who messed it up (refurring 2 the 60 million people who've bought BIIM albums). They said that the concept of the album came from fans coming up 2 them saying "hey, you guys should cover a song by (fill in the blank). They talked about owning their own company and being more than artists but also taking care of the business side of things themselves. Free also had them do some stuff acapella and they nailed it...the finished it off with "End of The Road."

Boyz II Men is one of the most talented groups EVER and also a group of the nicest guys u could ever meet. They deserve so much more respect and attention than they these days.

2day i recieved the Boyz II Men "Grandfather's Clock / Just Wanna Chill Tonight" CD single straight from Japan.

"Grandfather's Clock" is amazing. I have no idea where or when i've heard this song b4, but i have. Boyz II Men makes this song their own...it's simply amazing. Like the current album, this song is a cover (otherwise i would have never heard this song b4). The harmonizing is exactly what u would expect from Boyz II Men. Why can't other R-N-B groups do this anymore?!?!?

"Just Wanna Chill Tonight" is exactly what i wanted personally. This song isn't a cover, it's a brand new b-syde written and produced by the Boyz. It's a very chill, smooth yet classical feeling R-N-B track with a bit of bump in it. Hearing this song alone will hold me over until the next studio album comes out.

What are u talking about?!? The guys write most of their material (and 4 other artists), they produce and they've got some of the best voices in R-N-B. R-N-B groups almost never harmonize anymore. These guys are one of the only groups who keep the roots of R-N-B music true 2 what they should be.