JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

No Music for Will

Hero1

I sometimes think its all talk and he just doesn't like to mix any answer about the other thing when he is there to talk about the other thing.

I think that's a lot of it. It seems to me that every time he talks about anything in public, his current project is the most important thing in the world and the greatest thing he's ever done. He has a movie coming out so right now he is "Movie Star Will" and that is the center of the universe as far as his public statements are concerned. After the release he'll focus on the next thing and that will be the center. It doesn't really have a bearing on the future.

Right now, right this very second, Will has enough music for a new album. He has hundreds of songs at some level of completion that he hasn't released on his past albums. I think the real problem is the work he is going to have to put in, and the lack of support he will get from Interscope. We remember what happened last time with "Tell Me Why." The culture is such that, unless you're Kanye, music that is smart or even mildly thought provoking is hard to push. That's not to say that Will isn't up for doing the work... but it's an awful lot of work for very little reward.

We remember what happened last time with "Tell Me Why." The culture is such that, unless you're Kanye, music that is smart or even mildly thought provoking is hard to push.

i dont think like that ,i think the song touched everybody that have hear it especially if there was some video hehe ;) ... about the topic - like Lous Armstrong have said : " Musicians dont retire : they stop when there is no music in them "hoping Will didnt lose it somewhre ;) and there is gonna be something new ..or old :)

• Admin

I know how much he loves his music though..so its always a shock to hear him just say hes not doing any music at all.. he has a studio in his trailer.. a studio in his house.. he always likes to write.. maybe we will find out more about his mindset in the next few interviews..

• Admin

about the topic - like Lous Armstrong have said : " Musicians dont retire : they stop when there is no music in them "hoping Will didnt lose it somewhre ;) and there is gonna be something new ..or old :)

great quote... does Will have any more music left in him.. he has released 9 albums 150 odd tracks.. I can live without no more will smith solo albums..i just want 1 more jjfp album..i still hold on to that glimmer of hope

about the topic - like Lous Armstrong have said : " Musicians dont retire : they stop when there is no music in them "hoping Will didnt lose it somewhre ;) and there is gonna be something new ..or old :)

..i just want 1 more jjfp album..i still hold on to that glimmer of hope

same here - one last Jeff and Will's album .. :( damn how is that sounds :/ hah i cant believe is lke over that thing

I still think Will can do a few movies a year.. then take a few months off and do an album.. why does it have to be one or the other?

Yeah Will could easily balance out both music and movies but that seems easier said than done at this point

I can't try and make excuses. It seems like he is done.

I mean, there's a shot he gets a creative influence the way Jay-Z did. But the level of promotion to be successful in Hip Hop hit new highs this past year and the result? The records don't sell to the extent that Will would be satisfied over. I'm not saying he's a man made by money, but I think because he is a perfectionist, he would be upset if he didn't reach commercial success in the way he has in the past. And he is not an indie artist by any means. Idk, he focuses on one thing at a time and that's good, but it's bittersweet because of how successful his movies are.

Its never stopped him in the past, hes had jjfp albums that didnt do well and he kept going. Didnt code red sell poorly and that was the best jjfp album. When u think about sales u think about "big willie style" sales and thats not gonna happen again, that was a mixture of perfect timing and good promotion.

Its never stopped him in the past, hes had jjfp albums that didnt do well and he kept going. Didnt code red sell poorly and that was the best jjfp album. When u think about sales u think about "big willie style" sales and thats not gonna happen again, that was a mixture of perfect timing and good promotion.

Well, I believe he was in a different place mentally about hiphop then. It was his life. He was honestly doing it to prove something and be one of the greats. He was a young kid who was hungry for respect and a catalog to compare to the ones he looked up to and those he competed with in his day. Once you hit the success of Big Willie Style and Willenium, coupled with success in more profitable ventures like movies, your direction and motivation may be different, seeing as he realistically knows no one will sell 12 times platinum.

I also think Will may be concerned that Switch was an album saver. I remember when a Philly radio station played it for the first time, the DJ made a comment that, unlike many initial reactions, the DJ himself enjoyed it, although it was very different. It was a big risk in terms of it's originality and could have fallen flat. Now, I know everyone will say, "Oh, his whole album was off the charts" but I'm talking commercially, Switch was the one thing that album had that was so original, it was going to go strong. But the risk was there that no one would feel such an odd piece of music. Come a few months later and "Hey Mr. DJ" jacks the beat (I love DMX for making "Why you jack will smith for a beat") and everyone was on that type of song. I'm thinking he may be worried that the homerun he hit may be the last he can do to get the radio play that switch, getting jiggy, wild wild west, and freak this got.

Edited by Bob

I hope he returns to glory...