JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Entertainers of the Year: 25 Top Stars of 2007

MissAshley

smithlyx2.jpg

The beginning of the year was particularly cold for Will Smith. First, there was the frigid business of taking over the Brooklyn Bridge in January to shoot his upcoming sci-fi opus I Am Legend. Then there was the experience of losing the Best Actor Oscar (he was nominated for The Pursuit of Happyness — his first blockbuster drama, at nearly $163 million) to The Last King of Scotland's Forest Whitaker. Of course, Smith suspected he wasn't going home with hardware. ''If you want to win an Oscar, you need to play a historical figure, or someone who's mentally ill,'' he says with a laugh. ''So the moment I saw that Forest was playing both, I knew I had no chance.''

Still, an Oscar nomination (his second, after 2001's Ali) isn't a bad way to start the year. With Legend set to open huge next month, a strong finish seems in store, too. All things considered, this Smith-bracketed 2007 was a showcase for the star's Hanksian range and popularity. Next year might be another big one: Hancock — a superhero comedy and another blend of what he calls ''popcorn and prestige'' — is slated for next summer. ''To me, there's absolutely no award better than people going to your movie in record levels,'' he says. ''People who spend their hard-earned money to go see your movie — I'll take that any day of the week.'' —Jeff Jensen

http://www.ew.com/