JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Top 10 Rappers Turned Actors - AllHipHop.com

bart5

As I was watching the repeat episode of Law and Order: SVU, the episode that Ludacris was on, I had to commend him on his acting skills. So this brought a topic to mind… who are the Top Ten rappers turned actors? I decided to do a list and see if you agree or can add others to it. Keep in mind that I am only listing 10, although I can probably give you as many as 20 just off the top of my head!

Keep in mind that I do know there are some that are coming up now that could conceivably make and even top this list, but as of this writing, I stand by my choices! Prove me wrong!

In no particular order (or maybe it is…..)

1) Mark Wahlberg a.k.a. Marky Mark- Now you can’t front, you couldn’t stand Marky Mark or his damn Funky Bunch, but this Boston Beantown resident does his thing in the acting realm! I am quite sure that most of you didn’t even realize that Mark Wahlberg was indeed Marky Mark. Check out Four Brothers, The Departed, The Italian Job, Fear and Three Kings.

2) Chris Bridges a.k.a. Ludacris - As I mentioned above, Luda did a great job on that Law and Order episode as Darius Parker, relative of another Top Ten entry, Ice T. Although he doesn’t have an extensive acting resume, I think he will be one of the great rappers who is also a great actor in years to come. Check out Crash, Hustle and Flow and 2 Fast 2 Furious.

3) Tracey Morrow a.k.a. Ice T - For a man to be labeled a pimp and who was responsible for a group that made a song called “Cop Killer,” his most memorable roles are that of a cop. But that’s the trademark of an actor, to play a character that isn’t in your everyday being. Now, I have to admit, seeing him in New Jack City gave me pains, as I just knew this would be his last acting job (don’t front, you thought the same thing!). But lo and behold, he is still around and has turned into a decent actor. Check out his stints on New York Undercover, Trespass and Ricochet, and keep in mind that Ice T is a regular cast member on one of the longest running television series in Law and Order.

4) O’Shea Jackson a.k.a. Ice Cube - Amerikkka’s Most Wanted had a great start with his starring role in John Singleton’s debut movie Boyz N Da Hood. From Cube’s performance in this movie, you knew he would continue on this path, but I didn’t realize he would actually become a major player in Hollywood (both on and off screen). Check out Barbershop 1 and 2, Friday, Next Friday and Friday After Next, Are We There Yet? And the sequel, Are We Done Yet? and All About The Benjamins. He is also producing and starring in the film version of Welcome Back Kotter amongst other things.

5) Dana Owens a.k.a. Queen Latifah - Now I am sure that 99.4% of you will agree with me when I state that Queen Latifah is one of the best and most positive images Hip-Hop can lay claim to. This multi-talented woman has shown that the many hats she wears are worn well. Her body of work speaks for itself, even her brief appearances in Juice and Jungle Fever. Check out Beauty Shop, Chicago, Last Holiday, The Bone Collector and the HBO movie, Life Support.

6) Will Smith a.k.a. Fresh Prince - Who would have figured that a skinny, big-eared rapping kid from Philly would end up making more money per movie than a more accomplished and trained actor such as Denzel Washington? Yes, Hip-Hop’s own Fresh Prince (nominated twice for an Oscar), who admittedly went through his first million as fast as he made it, catapulted himself into Hollywood’s stratosphere by being himself on his own self-titled TV show. He took that charm and character to the next level to make himself an unlikely movie star. Check out The Pursuit of Happyness, Hitch, Independence Day, Ali, Bad Boys 1 and 2, Wild Wild West, I Robot and Six Degrees of Separation.

7) James Todd Smith a.k.a. LL Cool Jay - In Krush Groove he couldn’t live without his radio, but he has proven otherwise as he has risen to stay on top of his game in the cross section of Hollywood and HollyHood. The man who has been around (as a recording artist) longer than the likes of Public Enemy, EPMD and The Beastie Boys still has a grip on some roles in Hollywood. One of the very few recording artists to star in his own sitcom (In The House), he is still recording and filming. Talk about a legend! Check out In Too Deep, Halloween H2O and Deliver Us From Eva.

8) Darryl Mitchell a.k.a. Chill - I am quite positive you didn’t know Chill was part of the Uptown group, Groove B. Chill - back when people were just finding out about Heavy D and The Boyz, Teddy Riley and Al B. Sure!. This rapper-turned-actor has starred in more TV series than any rapper alive (to my knowledge)! An unfortunate accident didn’t stop him from acting either, which makes his feat an even more accomplished one! Check out House Party 1 and 2, The John Larroquette Show and Veronica’s Closet.

9) Calvin Broadus a.k.a. Snoop Dogg - This man is another multi-talented, everywhere seen type of guy that exudes attention in whatever he is involved in! His laid-back persona and pimp talk is always ready to be displayed whether film, commercial, records or video! Check out Soul Plane (ok, maybe not Soul Plane), Starsky and Hutch, Baby Boy and The Wash.

10) Earl Simmons a.k.a. DMX - Dark Man X has made a transition from rapper to actor, though his recent ‘driving’ and alleged ‘drug use’ may have hampered his ability to directly compete for the jobs that some on this list are getting. Check out Romeo Must Die, Exit Wounds and Belly.

I know most of you are screaming, "But what about Tupac?" I do agree, but since his death short-changed his career, I thought I would keep it to the ones I listed.

And for real fans of rappers/actors, I am sure a few of you will ask about Mos Def, who I feel is the second best rapper/actor behind Mark Wahlberg. For those who don’t know, Mos Def was actually an actor (God Bless The Child- 1988) before he became a rapper, so he wasn’t included on my list…

On a sad note, I feel T.I. was next up on this list. Hopefully he has great lawyers, otherwise…

http://allhiphop.com/blogs/lifestylefilm/a...3/18870610.aspx

Sorry, but I can't take any list serious that hasn't Will Smith as number 1.

From every point of view, Will kills it. He was at the top as a rapper,

first ever grammy, 10's of millions of sold albums...what did mark do ? Come on man.

Than we go on to movies...Will's right now the biggest actor in hollywood, he's surpassed the Tom's, which is a big deal. You wanna compare Will to those rappers again ? No disrespect to them...but like Magic said for Jordan I'm going to say for Will Smith.

There's Will Smith.....and then there's the rest of them.

Sorry, but I can't take any list serious that hasn't Will Smith as number 1.

From every point of view, Will kills it. He was at the top as a rapper,

first ever grammy, 10's of millions of sold albums...what did mark do ? Come on man.

Than we go on to movies...Will's right now the biggest actor in hollywood, he's surpassed the Tom's, which is a big deal. You wanna compare Will to those rappers again ? No disrespect to them...but like Magic said for Jordan I'm going to say for Will Smith.

There's Will Smith.....and then there's the rest of them.

They don't say Will is not number one. They said that the list is in no particular order (or maybe it is, whatever thats supposed to mean).

Edited by bart5

They don't say Will is not number one. They said that the list is in no particular order (or maybe it is, whatever thats supposed to mean).

oh, thanks...I read this article a few weeks back and dismissed it because will wasn't #1. it's still a little shaky though.

Fresh Prince is easily number one. Come one, all most movies, all those different roles. He is truely the man. He has become the most popular actor AND his movies have substance. Some people look at him strictly as an actor and don't even really know about his music. His music will always be most important 2 me, but 2 have millions of people support your movies like he does, shows that he has gotten an audience way beyond his music fans.

Marky Mark is my man. I view him as the 2nd best acting emcee. People will clown him for his mainstream appeal, but i always related 2 his music and still listen 2 it 2 this day. It kills me the way he has neglected his music, but he has totally shaken the bad boy from Boston emcee image to become a huge Hollywood force. He's taken on so many crazy roles and he's gotten better with each one.

Queen Latifah walks a fine line. She'll do a critically accaimed movie like Chicago, then she'll do some low budget move like The Cookout. I love both movies, showing that she does what she wants...not what ever will make her more famous.

LL Cool J is underrated as an actor. He portrays the bad boy in control just as well has he does the sentemental man. He's made some poor choices in movies, but he's made just as many good ones. I'm actually happy that he isn't seperating himself from music, tho' i feel the music is holding him back.

Ice Cube is another one who started slow and started stretching himself more recently. I don't care if people knock him for doing a family movie like Are We There Yet?...i still think it's a great movie. I feel the image from his music holds him back from truely shining.

Ice-T i feel is unrated because of his ties 2 music. His image is so rough that i think he'll always be looked at as Ice-T the emcee who is in2 acting.

Snoop Dogg is good as acting like himself in the situtation in a movie. At least from the movies i've seen. It's a nice little side job 2 his music, but i think most people could care less about his acting.

DMX is limited in the vareity department when it comes 2 the roles he takes. I think with more experience and the right movies, he could truely shine.

Mos Def shows alot of promise, but i'd need 2 see more of his acting before critiquing him.

Ludacris hasn't really done anything. I can't believe he's even on the list.

2Pac would have truely shined if he got 2 keep doing films. As a fedgling actor, he chose quite a few good roles. I haven't seen Bullet yet, but i've seen all his other movies. For coming out of the box on Juice, he really did his thing.

...i have no idea who Chill is.

Mos Def shows alot of promise, but i'd need 2 see more of his acting before critiquing him.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy...Italian Job...16 blocks....Brown Sugar...Some very impressive performances....

ya seriously, that's a good list and he was great in em...especially 16 Blocks...I mean BRUCE WILLIS was the star and Mos still shined in the movie...

I thought Mos Def waz hilarious in The Italian Job. I don't remember him in Brown Sugar (tho' i loved the movie). I'll need 2 check out the other stuff. I've always wanted 2 see ...Galaxy.

I just bought Smokin' Aces yesterday, so i'll be seeing Common Sense doing his thing real soon.

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy...Italian Job...16 blocks....Brown Sugar...Some very impressive performances....

yeah Mos is dope since even The Cosby Mysteries but he need some leading roles like DMX and LL ,before them is Ice Cube - Boyz in The Hood ,Next Friday , Barbershop ... :thumbsup: . Mark Wahlberg - i just dont like him hah no matter movies or music and Queen Latifah - grest stuff :)) but like Ice T is playing similar roles way tooo much ..Luda got what 2-3 movies :shrug: André can be in that top 10 and most definitely - Tupac ..hah dont even have to write something about Will

I don't remember him in Brown Sugar (tho' i loved the movie).

That was my favorite Mos Def role...he pretty much plays an over the top hilarious version of himself and lays down a monster of a rap performance. He was possibly the most memorable thing in the whole movie, if not for 20 seconds of Slick Rick and Doug.E.Fresh performing in a cipher.