JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hip Hop Vs America

bart5

Hip-hop culture and controversy are familiar bedfellows. Yet, in the wake of the Imus controversy, hip hop finds itself under an exceptional amount of scrutiny. BET NEWS takes a powerful and compelling look at the state of hip hop in a three-part series titled “Hip Hop vs. America.” Hosted by BET’s Touré and Jeff Johnson, this special showcases a candid, heated forum that will allow audiences to hear the opinions of prominent leaders in hip hop and politics.

Part I of "Hip Hop vs. America" premieres Tuesday, Sept. 25 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT) on BET, with the second hour airing on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). The third episode will only be available on BET.com’s BET ON BLAST. Also, log on for exclusive footage.

This three-night special tackles many sensitive issues, including hip hop’s relationship with criminality and law enforcement; the image of Black women in hip hop; and the pride, embarrassment and confusion Blacks often feel over hip hop’s public airing of the community’s “dirty laundry.”

Panelists include hip-hop artists Nelly, TI, Mike Jones and Chuck D; authors Karrine “Superhead” Steffans, Nelson George and Keith Boykin; NPR’s Farai Chideya and BET’s Kim Osorio; civil rights leaders such as Minister Ben Chavis and the Rev. Al Sharpton; Judge Mablean Ephraim, formerly of TV’s “Divorce Court”; Diane Weathers of Essence magazine; and others!

http://www.bet.com/OnTV/hhva_about_promo.h...6F31C8698895%7D

Has anyone seen one of this three part series show yet? I saw one of them last night and it was a really good show. The people and discussion that they brought to the table are real, they faced the problems of hip hop head on. At first I thought it would be another dumb bling hip hop show, but surprisingly it was different. Some of the things that they talked about are the degrading of women in hip hop (music videos), when does the money become more important than the music, and why are artist going for hit singles and not trying to build a good career like they used to + more. They talked about this stuff with Nelly and TI, and both made very intelligent comments. Loved that Chuck D was on there, but he didn't talk very much (atleast the episode that I saw). Recommended for yall to check one of these out, definitely some worth watching. I think they have some video clips on BET.com.

I caught some of it. I think the reason that Hip-Hop catch so much flack is because people don't know the difference between Hip-Hop and Rap music. Listen 2 the radio, if u can bare keeping a Lil' Wayne, Young Joc, Lil' Jon, Baby Boy, Young Dro, Hurricane Chris song playing, u realize that beyond the empty awful production and their terrible voices and flows, the lyrics are stupid, pointless, and discusting. Who can support that? I can't. Then u see the panelists...Chuck D, T.I. Nelly, and Mike Jones. T.I., Nelly, and Mike Jones are cumbs next 2 Chuck D. Chuck D is the only one on that panel who i think represets Hip-Hop at all. The other guys said 1 or 2 things i agreed with...but i waz rolling my eyes at alot of the things they said. I give props 2 BET for airing this, but in the past 5 years, they have become a part of the problem. 85% of the stuff they support is ignorant music for ignorant people.

Glad I wasn't the only one on here that watched some of this show. Yeah, I agree with ya AJ that BET does play a lot of crap on there. But they do have some good stuff. Like the Wayan Bros for instance, is a great show. They also have some good specials once in awhile like this one too. Atleast programs like this one are a step in the right direction for BET, but it doesn't make up for all the Uncut, talentless music videos they play.

Guest lambertj3

I caught some of it. I think the reason that Hip-Hop catch so much flack is because people don't know the difference between Hip-Hop and Rap music. Listen 2 the radio, if u can bare keeping a Lil' Wayne, Young Joc, Lil' Jon, Baby Boy, Young Dro, Hurricane Chris song playing, u realize that beyond the empty awful production and their terrible voices and flows, the lyrics are stupid, pointless, and discusting. Who can support that? I can't. Then u see the panelists...Chuck D, T.I. Nelly, and Mike Jones. T.I., Nelly, and Mike Jones are cumbs next 2 Chuck D. Chuck D is the only one on that panel who i think represets Hip-Hop at all. The other guys said 1 or 2 things i agreed with...but i waz rolling my eyes at alot of the things they said. I give props 2 BET for airing this, but in the past 5 years, they have become a part of the problem. 85% of the stuff they support is ignorant music for ignorant people.

i would have to disagree with you aj but not to start an argument to each his own