JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Does Will have a star on the Hollywood walk of fame?

SEALK

We talked about this before, apparently some1 has to nominate him and pay loads of money for the star and they pay something yearly for maintenance. Whoever does that gets invited to the unveiling of the star. So we were all gonna put some money in, but no1 had any so that was the end of that idea lol.

It is quite shocking he hasn't got one yet! I wonder if we could haggle them down!

I wouldn't say shocking. He's young by acting standards, he's just started to gain acclaim for dramatic roles (although Bagger Vance should have gotten more credit than it did), and he's returning to sci-fi which could actually hurt his chances (since some in the hollywood elite could see it as a safe-zone, rather than being the actor who redefines himself every role). It should be interesting, and unless he REALLY falls off, he'll get one, but it's still a good 10 years away at the earliest. I'd like to see him as an actor when he's in that older, wise stage.

Edited by Bob

It is quite shocking he hasn't got one yet! I wonder if we could haggle them down!

I wouldn't say shocking. He's young by acting standards, he's just started to gain acclaim for dramatic roles (although Bagger Vance should have gotten more credit than it did), and he's returning to sci-fi which could actually hurt his chances (since some in the hollywood elite could see it as a safe-zone, rather than being the actor who redefines himself every role). It should be interesting, and unless he REALLY falls off, he'll get one, but it's still a good 10 years away at the earliest. I'd like to see him as an actor when he's in that older, wise stage.

Maybe by acting standards but not by music. He's been doing that for 21 years. Surely that would warrant something? First ever rap Grammy and all that. With the addition of 17 years of acting....I don't know. I'd say that's shocking! Its not as if he's bad at what he does. He's consistently in the most powerful lists and has recently topped it as well.

The guy does have two Oscar nominations and a slew of other awards including a lifetime achievement award from the Museum of the Moving Image. He is now highly respected in the movie industry and was recently recognized as the most powerful actor in Hollywood... The total gross of the movies he's been in is somewhere in the billions...

And that's not even getting into the fact that he's a hip hop legend and innovator... On his rap reputation alone, he already deserves a star....

I'm guessing his not having a star has nothing to do with his success as an actor or rapper, but rather, the simple fact that he hasn't gotten around to it yet.

Maybe by acting standards but not by music. He's been doing that for 21 years. Surely that would warrant something? First ever rap Grammy and all that. With the addition of 17 years of acting....I don't know. I'd say that's shocking! Its not as if he's bad at what he does. He's consistently in the most powerful lists and has recently topped it as well.

I don't know if you heard, but the AMA's completely cold-shouldered hiphop for awards. It's one of many examples that are indicative of the lack of respect hiphop has in American *elite* (Hollywood, critics). They won't give him something until he's good and old in the acting game.

The guy does have two Oscar nominations and a slew of other awards including a lifetime achievement award from the Museum of the Moving Image. He is now highly respected in the movie industry and was recently recognized as the most powerful actor in Hollywood... The total gross of the movies he's been in is somewhere in the billions...

And that's not even getting into the fact that he's a hip hop legend and innovator... On his rap reputation alone, he already deserves a star....

I'm guessing his not having a star has nothing to do with his success as an actor or rapper, but rather, the simple fact that he hasn't gotten around to it yet.

He has plenty of nominations but like I mentioned, they will still be critical. Museum of the Moving Image was great, but it's certainly not something anyone was too familiar with until we heard Will got it lol. So far, he's highly respected, but the route he's taking will take time. He will deserve the star, but it's gotta be down the road when he's amassed more fame than what most people know him for: Independence Day, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Men in Black. As his physical image ages, and he may start playing more of the fatherly roles, he could really gain the respect from academies and such as that is a sweet spot so-to-speak for critics. Will is still very young, young enough that those who are pushing for a star probably want to wait to have even more accolades to celebrate.

I always wanted to see Will on the actors studio, I was like ''why don't they ask him, cone on ! he deserves it''. And short after that in '02 he got on the show, after that show I said to myself ''damn, wish they didn't ask him for another 10 more years''.

I think there's a time and place for everything, and it would be better if he gets that star when he's even more respected than now, when he has more stuff under his belt.

When the actors studio happened, they couldn't talk about Lost & Found, or his newer movies like Hitch, POH etc. So sometimes patience is more rewarding, in the end you feel like you get more back.

I don't know if you heard, but the AMA's completely cold-shouldered hiphop for awards. It's one of many examples that are indicative of the lack of respect hiphop has in American *elite* (Hollywood, critics). They won't give him something until he's good and old in the acting game.

He has plenty of nominations but like I mentioned, they will still be critical. Museum of the Moving Image was great, but it's certainly not something anyone was too familiar with until we heard Will got it lol. So far, he's highly respected, but the route he's taking will take time. He will deserve the star, but it's gotta be down the road when he's amassed more fame than what most people know him for: Independence Day, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and Men in Black. As his physical image ages, and he may start playing more of the fatherly roles, he could really gain the respect from academies and such as that is a sweet spot so-to-speak for critics. Will is still very young, young enough that those who are pushing for a star probably want to wait to have even more accolades to celebrate.

Yeah, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with his age, experience or success... certainly not his success. "Legends" such as Britney Spears, Judge Judy, Jennifer Lopez and Charlie Murphy, relatively new to their respective industries, have stars after all. And while he has plenty of critics, the vast majority of people like his work, whether it be music, television, or movies. Will was deserving of a star on the walk of fame several years ago, even prior to the second Oscar nomination and the most recent string of successful movies.

Again, you simply can't be considered the most powerful actor on the planet, have two Oscar nominations in a 5 year span, have the movies you've been in gross almost 4.5 billion dollars, and not be deserving of a star right now. As I said, Will not having a star is likely nothing more than people not having gotten around to it yet. It's certainly not because he doesn't deserve it yet or hasn't achieved enough.

Also, I'm not sure how important people think a star on the Hollywood walk of fame is, or how prestigious an award they perceive it to be, but Charlie Murphy has one, and Jennifer Lopez has three... including one for movies. As a result, idea that Will needs to do more to get one doesn't seem accurate in the least.

Yeah, I honestly don't think it has anything to do with his age, experience or success... certainly not his success. "Legends" such as Britney Spears, Judge Judy, Jennifer Lopez and Charlie Murphy, relatively new to their respective industries, have stars after all. And while he has plenty of critics, the vast majority of people like his work, whether it be music, television, or movies. Will was deserving of a star on the walk of fame several years ago, even prior to the second Oscar nomination and the most recent string of successful movies.

Again, you simply can't be considered the most powerful actor on the planet, have two Oscar nominations in a 5 year span, have the movies you've been in gross almost 4.5 billion dollars, and not be deserving of a star right now. As I said, Will not having a star is likely nothing more than people not having gotten around to it yet. It's certainly not because he doesn't deserve it yet or hasn't achieved enough.

Also, I'm not sure how important people think a star on the Hollywood walk of fame is, or how prestigious an award they perceive it to be, but Charlie Murphy has one, and Jennifer Lopez has three... including one for movies. As a result, idea that Will needs to do more to get one doesn't seem accurate in the least.

:yeahthat: