JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will in Empire with Mann

Hero1

• Admin

Will Smith Rules Michael Mann's Empire

Source: Variety

October 11, 2007

Columbia Pictures has acquired Empire, a drama that John Logan (Gladiator) will write for Michael Mann to direct and Will Smith to topline, says Variety.

The trade says that Smith is expected to play a contemporary global media mogul.

Smith and James Lassiter's Overbrook Entertainment will produce with Mann's Forward Pass.

Empire puts the director back in the ring with Smith for the first time since Ali. Mann has been working as producer with Smith, Lassiter and Akiva Goldsman on Hancock.

This is what I've been talking about when I said Will needs to work more with A-list people.

Not only is Mann one of the most underrated brilliant directors of this generation, Logan is also a great pick, has made quality stuff like Gladiator, Last Samurai, Star Trek nem., Avator and Sweeney Todd. Count me impressed. Michael Mann's last couple of movies haven't been of his own high quality standards and he probably must be very excited and passionate to make another brilliant masterpiece such as The Insider, Heat, last of the mohikans. Let's hope Mann brings his best work to this movie and Logan delivers a great script. I'm more excited for this then I am for IAL and HC.