JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J

Da Brakes

AJ u need to understand people change and so does the time of rap, because LL can beat a few people in his days doesnt mean he can do it now, and YES I have heard Jay do a freestyle battle against, Diddy, DMX, Jadakiss, (The diddy one was the only one that wasnt a joke) but much more, go catch S.Carter the mixtape, that will change your perspective in battle rap, he can kill cats in a few minutes, Pharrell Williams said that he done "Change Clothes" "Encore" and "99 Problems" in under 45 minutes.....

NAME another artist who can do that?????

Period.

I still can't see it. Maybe i have heard his "battle" stuff and didn't know it waz battle stuff. Cleverness means nothing 2 me...it just sounds like justification 4 being lazy instead of "brining it."

Some of u are saying how battling has changed over the years. But i put this ?uestion out there...What about Hip-Hop now is better than anything in the past. Who cares what has changed?? Rap fueds now, whether gimmiks or real ones, they are a joke. They are stupid and boring. LL is from the times of real battles. The change in times only makes him stronger.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ I know you dont like Jay-Z but all the other guys on this topic make valid statements. LL is my 2nd fav rapper, Jay-Z being my 3rd. Jay is an amazing emcee. You really should check out "Reasonable Doubt" and some of his older material. Jay can definitly kill cats and considering hes 36 or so, its pretty good. Jay has some of the slickest lines and hes crazy with metaphors. I thought "Kingdom Come" was very average. Especially compared to "The Black Album" and "Blueprint."

How do you not care for cleverness? Isn't cleverness a requirement to make sick lines to knock your opponent out? Whats the difference between "cleverness" and "bringin it". Define "bringin it" because in order to "bring it" how could you not have cleverness and say your just being lazy? Am I missing something?

We all know its pretty obvious LL is just riding with 50 and G-Unit to sell more records. Lets be real here, if LL really wanted to kill Jay-Z and he was really the G.O.A.T then he could do it all by himself. I think LL still can tear cats apart but now its time to show it. Lets also admit that LL hasnt had any standout material lately either. "Todd Smith" alotta people said it was wack. I liked it but the singles sucked! "Freeze" was absolute garbage. "What U Want" shoulda been the next single.

I for one am definitly looking forward to this. Its gonna be awesome.

How do you not care for cleverness? Isn't cleverness a requirement to make sick lines to knock your opponent out? Whats the difference between "cleverness" and "bringin it". Define "bringin it" because in order to "bring it" how could you not have cleverness and say your just being lazy? Am I missing something?

I didn't get that either...aren't witty punchines and clever jabs partly what battling is about? You could make valid statements but if they aren't done in a clever way it's usually kinda lame....

When i talk about "bringing it," i'm talking about an emcee's relentless disrespect towards another. Where nearly every lyrics makes you laugh or go "ooooh!!" when u hear it the 1st time...like when "The Ripper Strikes Back" came out. I remember how myself and my friends reacted when we heard that song...same with "Hit 'Em Up." Those tracks are just crazy. Those are what i consider perfect modern battle tracks.

I love a clever emcee. I just see that trait in rhyming being more relevant in regular songs and music. Not so much in battling. And Jay-Z is no longer the "Reasonable Doubt" Jay-Z. I waz a big fan of Jay-Z before his 1st album dropped and thru' "Reasonable Doubt." The downward spiral started right after that album. Other than 3 or 4 singles, i didn't really like him at all until i heard his most recent album.

Im not with u jumpin in the jay sucks as the head of def jam. First of all, with his success, and bringing his group to the company he has helped a lot, and yes, def is not as def anymore, but it doesnt mean is destroyed, and theres a lot of good hits from it nowadays, a lot. Jay can also be a battle emcee, u heard hustlin remix, cleverness said bob, something a rapper needs and sumthin the general manager excells at. Jay can take onthis fool anytime anyplace.

This LL is just lookin for a lil publicity, how pityful.....

I think to say Jay-Z' more wittier than LL is a joke, LL comes from the golden era of hip-hop where you had to have the most skills to be on top of the game, today the standards have changed...

Jay-Z isn't doing a good job as a CEO on Def Jam...He is promoting Young Jeezy, Rhianna, Neyo, etc. and isn't there for promoting The Roots, Method Man, Red Man, Nas, LL and DMX left they label! The last 4 helped Def Jam to get hip hop crown back when gansta rap was taking over! LL's criticism at the beginning was justified! Jay is now supporting commercial mainstream rap garbage and rnb, when def jam is HIP HOP!

Well, Rhianna has the hottest song this year, Neyo has the best collabos and his new disc was a success, and jeezy needed no talent at all to get all that recognition the last two years. Why isnt he doing a good job as a CEO?

People, def jam is not getting less money, is still one of the best music companies, thats what you have to look for and those first 3 you mention are the one most people are asking for and as a CEO you are obligated to give people what they are asking for. I dont know many kids asking for LL to come back and do the toungue slash again....

Well like Joe said Jay-Z respects LL and probably won't even diss him, he's now saying that he'll give LL a free pass 'cause he's a legend so there probably won't be no battle, and now to the point about Def Jam I don't know if it's all Jay-Z' fault, really it's a problem of the music industry right now more than anything

Well like Joe said Jay-Z respects LL and probably won't even diss him, he's now saying that he'll give LL a free pass 'cause he's a legend so there probably won't be no battle, and now to the point about Def Jam I don't know if it's all Jay-Z' fault, really it's a problem of the music industry right now more than anything

Trash and easily accessible music seem to get play no matter what...soulja boy seems to have proven this!

Edited by ash trey

Trash and easily accessible music seem to get play no matter what...soulja boy seemed to have proven this!

LOL!!!

Ha...i couldn't agree more. Every time i hear that Soulja Boy crap, i wonder if life is worth living.

Back 2 the Def Jam topic, i'll just say this. I love Rihanna + Ne-Yo, but would i consider then a "Def Jam" artist...no way. I could easily see them on J Records, Interscope, or Columbia. When i think of Def Jam, i think of LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, EPMD, Def Squad, Onyx, Warren G, DMX, Foxy Brown, Method Man, Redman, etc. That's history, there some classic stuff amoungst those artists. The Roots are good, but they aren't The Roots they used 2 be and they aren't exactly your ideal Def Jam artist. Def Jam is dead...it has been for a few years. With Russell Simmons and LL Cool J, it's gone. Anyone who grew up on 80's or even 90's Hip-Hop will probably agree with this whether they like Jay-Z or not. Def Jam has a certain caliber of artist which is not there anymore. With LL uninspired and trying 2 get off the label (not 2 mention working with 50 Cent), the legacy is gone. LL wouldn't make moves like this unless he really didn't care. Russell scrambled like crazy in 2002 2 keep LL on the label. The words that came out of his mouth were that LL waz the cornerstone of Def Jam and that he'd do anything 2 keep him since other artists had come and gone. LL got a great new record deal after 10 and got rights 2 his entire catelog. Jay-Z might say he respects LL, but by neglecting a legend, he's screwed the label and himself.

Well I think Jay is smart, and he knows what he is doing by keeping kanye and Rihanna and letting go LL. I dont think that LL is gonna sell more records than they both to def jam and i have to admit that LL is a legend, but unless he comes with something hot that he doesnt have to present on a lightning screen tshirt and having to make a rap battle to give it publicity, he will remain just as that: "a legend, part of the history".

We all know all those legends, they made hip hop, they really did, they are gonna exist forever in our hearts and minds, and maybe in our old cds, but it doesnt mean that a record label owns them a job for life since thisiscall the music bussiness and just like the mlb, sometimes legends contracts get terminated, even though it hurts to see it happen.

Well, Bernie Williams was for the Yankees kind of a legend. And where is he now. And is steinbreinner done? are the yankees? nope, and I dont think that Jay z is going to be either. Rap battles nowadays are a joke, and publicity stunts just like the one pulled by 50 last month just make me laugh, i just pray to god that LL doesnt lose the respect i have for him making dumb choices like messing with the CEO of Def Jam.

And you people were right. He was the cornerstone of def jam, now he is working with 50 and maybe we will hear him chanting some "G-UNIT!" sometime soon, god forbids...