JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

While Kanye and 50 Battle, Chamillionaire slips in....

Bob

We have all this hype for tomorrow...and for a side note...don't forget why September 11 is such an important date in world history. Music is a nice way to try and find new ways to remember such a date, but we can't forget the tragedy in 2001.

With that said, there's hype like crazy for Kanye and 50. I saw a commercial during an Eagles game for Kanye West's album??? I haven't seen that since 2002.

Well, Chamillionaire's "Ultimate Victory" is being prepped for a September 18th release, and it leaked on the 5th.

Since I was camping out since last monday for the Penn State University game against Notre Dame to be front row and ALL OVER ESPN :wickedwisdom: ...I haven't had the chance to listen to the album....P.S...unless you live under a rock, it was the second largest attendance at Beaver Stadium ever and we crushed the Irish!!

Now I am finally getting to hear this, so here's my abbreviated review:

01. The Morning News- Takes shots at Snap music calling it crap music. I like it, sets the tone for cool south style with intelligent lyrics. Talks about CEO's and credit...hm. Fun.

02. Hip Hop Police feat. Slick Rick- We all heard this and it's still fun. I love it.

03. Standing Ovation- The guitar is repetitive. I don't care much for the track.

04. Won't Let You Down- Sounds like a T-Pain wannabe is on the hook....but other than that it tells broke-lazy people to get up off their a$$es and earn a living. Also he attacks the guys who act tough and wealthy when they could be saving and getting an education.

05. Industry Groupie- J.R. Rotem did a wonder with this track. I like the sample. It's pretty much the same thing (and he references it to) "Wouldn't Get Far" and "Gold Digger"...fun because the beat keeps rolling on.

06. Pimp Mode feat. Bun B- Slow country-laced beat. Not my style. Interesting switch up though.

07. Rock Star feat. Lil Wayne- I love the guitar riff, plus the boom-boom-clap beat. I don't like that Lil Wayne cursed repeatedly on this so they had to wipe it out. Why doesn't he follow the rules as a guest on Chamillionaire's album? Is it that tough? Snoop had no problem on Lost and Found....

08. Skit- Mehhhh. Kinda funny at one point but not really at all.

09. Bill Collecta feat. Krayzie Bone- I love it. It's going to be the next single. On the same lines of Evening News in it's story talking. Title is pretty self-explanatory. I like...

10. The Ultimate Vacation- WOW, I love the california feel. Like a surfer's song haha. Funnnnn. I woulda loved listening to this on the beach...now I'll listen to it in the freezing happy valley that is penn state...

11. Come Back to the Streets- I'm not a fan of this song. I just don't like it. The skit included is redeeming...a little.

12. I think I love you- He used an organ and then completely cut out of it to a completely different set of instruments?? I like it because he's talking about how money can curve all your usual feelings and intentions. ...REDEEMING PART: It then cuts into a story regarding an abusive husband/boyfriend. I like this part because he picks up the tempo and delivers emotion on it.

13. Evening News- My favorite track so far listening to this CD. I loved it when it came out and still can't get over its creativity.

14. Welcome to the South feat. Pimp C- Throwaway south boasting track. Not enjoyable.

15. You Must Be Crazy feat. Lil Ken- This beat is awesome....I can't even describe it. Fun. Feels like it would be something an old school dj would make if he had the tools of today. Ol' School crafting with new music production software.....niccceeee. Flow is soo sick. Song just keeps moving. More political talking....Lil Ken is decent by the way..

16. Me Breakin Up- I'm indifferent to this track. I wanna know who's doing the ad-libs...some soul singer...I guess some would like this, I'm more just sitting on it.

17. Skit- Stuck in the Ghetto feat. Tony Henry- Tony Henry has a voice. An amazing voice. I like this. One guitar, no bass. Henry really is stealing the show. I now am in the mood for some soul listening.

18. Rocky Rode feat Devin the Dude- The thunder sounds are cool. The rest of the song is not too memorable...but after the song Chamillionaire talks in the same way that Will Smith did on "Holly Roller"...talking about how we never talk to God unless we need him...we never ask for change until it affects us negatively... I really like his social commentary.

19. Ultimate Victory- Soul-laced track and then it switches to a rough Fort Minor feel...really feels like Chamillionaire is opening up. I enjoy this track BIG TIME. The violins are awesome. Feels like a tie between an italian composer's work and a new york linkin park song. Awesome!

interesting side note...seems like he let go of the "Not a Criminal feat Kelis" song since it didn't really follow the themes he tried to present.

My Rating: *** out of 5. I hated Chamillionaire and everything he did before this album. I couldn't stand the guy. I was just so annoyed by his direction and cliche themes. Now, I think his music is more mature but still fun. I have a natural distaste for the southern style of instrumentals so it was tough for me to get into much of the tracks. That being said, I think he did a good job and definitely has 4 to 5 standouts on the CD. I think the fight to keep a theme was hard for Chamillionaire and you could hear it. His honest attempt is commendable but I think he showed some limitations and probably was frustrated with the difficulty it seemed he had to produce an album with thoughtful themes rather than falling back into rap's comfort zone.

I like Chamillionaire. I doubt i'll ever call him one of the best emcees but when it comes 2 his commerical counter parts, he's light years ahead of the other guys. Not only does he bring more lyrics and more talent, he actually seems like a smart guy.

I'll peep his album 2morrow and if it's good, i'll be sure 2 get it soon.

The real release i'm getting 2morrow is the new Jagged Edge album. U can't go wrong with J.E. R-N-B has been consistantly keeping it's head above water commercially. And J.E. are the only ones who are pretty much a sureshot 2 bring a quality R-N-B album...until Usher's next one drops. I just hope it's a be more consistant then their last.

I like Chamillionaire. I doubt i'll ever call him one of the best emcees but when it comes 2 his commerical counter parts, he's light years ahead of the other guys. Not only does he bring more lyrics and more talent, he actually seems like a smart guy.

I'll peep his album 2morrow and if it's good, i'll be sure 2 get it soon.

The real release i'm getting 2morrow is the new Jagged Edge album. U can't go wrong with J.E. R-N-B has been consistantly keeping it's head above water commercially. And J.E. are the only ones who are pretty much a sureshot 2 bring a quality R-N-B album...until Usher's next one drops. I just hope it's a be more consistant then their last.

you gotta let us know how the JE album is...i'm not as much on their stuff but if I hear it's worth it, i'll take a listen

Thanks for the review, I'll be sure to check for this album when it comes out

Well, this helps me feel good about getting Chamillionaire's cd. So no questions there anymore. And AJ, Jagged Edge is coming out on the 11th? I thought they weren't releasing tell the 25th?? I know I'm picking that up no doubt as well. I love all of JE's releases overall, especially since this whole cd is suppose to be slow songs.

btw Bob, I feel ya on the Penn State. I had no doubt Penn State would beat Notre Dame like that. I really hope Penn State has the biggest year possible. They just may be the best overall team in the Big Ten this year.

Edited by mfuqua23

btw Bob, I feel ya on the Penn State. I had no doubt Penn State would beat Notre Dame like that. I really hope Penn State has the biggest year possible. They just may be the best overall team in the Big Ten this year.

ah man it's my home...this is my sophomore year up in happy valley and it's only getting better. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I got this CD a few days ago and it definately got a lot of dope tracks on it, he puts a lot of thought into his rhymes, I'm feeling it a lot

Chammillionaire is cool, thats all ive got to say, but im not sure im gonna buy his album, didnt like the last one..

it's a completely different artist in my opinion...

there's a definite southern feel still on it, which is not my favorite thing, but his intelligence really takes over

i hated his last album too...

I got the album, and I am pretty impressed. Morning News, Ultimate Victory, Hip Hop Police, and I Think I Love You are just some of the highlights on this album. With all the talk about Kanye and 50, there should be just as much about this album, its that good.

I haven't spent alot of time listening 2 Ultimate Victory but it is a good album. Most of the beats can be rated a 7.5 to 8 outta 10. They aren't straight Hip-Hop and they aren't commercial Rap either. I guess u could say it's a good mainstream Hip-Hop sound. I wish the album had more different flavas 2 it...but maybe a few more listens will provide that. Chamillionaire does have a clear flow. Nothing amazing, but light years better than any other rapper from the south. U can hear every word his spits. I think the strongest part is his lyrics and subject matter. He's a smart guy with something 2 say. How many rappers on the charts can u say that about. Props 2 Chamillionaire.