JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

GURU'S JAZZMATAZZ, VOL. 4

I picked up Guru's Jazzmatazz, Vol. 4 "The Hip-Hop Jazz Messenger-Back To The Future" 2day. Back in high school, i picked up Guru's Jazzmatazz Vol. 2 (i missed the 1st one at that point) and i fell in love with the album. Many people recognize him as one of the best emcees of all time, but these Jazzmatazz albums have always put him steps ahead of the other hip-hop musicians.

This new album follows the formula of the previous Jazzmatazz albums (i don't have the 3rd volume) and updates it all. Guru's monotone voice spits some of the most down 2 earth lyrics ever. He always drops universal rhymes on these Jazzmatazz albums. Most people who don't even grow up in Hip-Hop can relate 2 these lyrics. He also doesn't cuss on this records. The music is solid and unique. It's loaded with Hip-Hop mixed with Jazz and live instruments. On top of that, he features other Hip-Hop, R-N-B, and Jazz artists on the project (the Jazzmatazz albums are never intended 2 be real solo albums). On this one u'll find Common Sense, Slum Village, Blackalicious, Raheem DeVaughn, Vivian Green, Kem, Bobby Valentino, amoungst others.

Gang Starr fans looking for an alternative vibe from Guru will love the album as will any true Hip-Hop or Acid Jazz fan. I haven't been excited about an album like this in awhile.

I saw it but I wasn't sure if it was going to be any good and worth the cost. I might have to check it out now. It sounds dope.

I have it and it's decent, but nowhere near the top album of this year. It starts out really well the first 5 songs or so but kind of levels off after that. I always appreciate the jazz fusion effort, and this is easily better than Guru's last solo album. Vol.2 is still the absolute classic of the bunch.

As far as album of the year, have you heard the new Talib yet? Wait to hear that b4 nominating any other album as best of the year!