JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West "Stronger"

TooFresh

It's gotten to the point where I've got at least SOME got respect for any rap song that's hook isn't the repetition of 1-3 words.

SAD.

God Blessa!

Sometimes hooks are just meant to be catchy so people remember the song. Look at "Switch"..

Sometimes? Hooks are the most repetitive, gimmick-hopeful, small collection of words in rap songs right now. You say Switch, but even Switch has more variety in the hook than most of the crap out now (and really, it doesn't have that much- which says a lot). Switch is a dance song, so are basically all the lame-hook singles being pumped out today. The difference is Switch does it better. Will isn't just saying "Switch" over and over. He says something and let's the dance beat do its thing.

Of course hooks are there so people can remember the songs but the songs coming out today are such an insult to the audience's intelligence if they don't think people can remember more than 1 line anymore. These 4 word hooks have another strike against them: they're boring. Would you like the same sentence (that isn't even a full sentence) replaying in your head all day? I wouldn't. That's why I can't stand most of the songs my friends are listening to.

But I think we're supposed to be talking about Kanye or George Bush or something...

God Blessa!

The difference is Switch does it better. Will isn't just saying "Switch" over and over. He says something and let's the dance beat do its thing.

...but no one (other than the hype fan) can remember one word to that song...so it ends up just like "Stronger." I like "Stronger" and am ok with that, yet I know it's substance is lacking. The thing is, "Switch" is just the same because perception is reality, and no one really can remember what Will said in that song because it was made for the radio. Even for me, who listens to all Will has, I have a tough time remembering the words to a song that you would think I would know. It's just not the focus of the song so it doesn't get any more accomplished than any other pop song.

The difference is Switch does it better. Will isn't just saying "Switch" over and over. He says something and let's the dance beat do its thing.

...but no one (other than the hype fan) can remember one word to that song...so it ends up just like "Stronger." I like "Stronger" and am ok with that, yet I know it's substance is lacking. The thing is, "Switch" is just the same because perception is reality, and no one really can remember what Will said in that song because it was made for the radio. Even for me, who listens to all Will has, I have a tough time remembering the words to a song that you would think I would know. It's just not the focus of the song so it doesn't get any more accomplished than any other pop song.

My point isn't about defending Switch. I like the song, but it's low on my Lost and Found tracklisting. I'm not even giving Stronger huge props or anything. You're right, people won't remember this song's words- all I'm saying is that I like it better than most of the crap out now. It's sad that standards are being lowered like this for me. A step up is a step up though.

God Blessa!