JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

trotm sales poor?

• Admin

it didnt even make the top 200 albums this week.. so it sold less than 3000 copies.. I really thought this album would have done so much better.. Hip-hop is in a truly sad state.. :nhawong:

Guest MIX PROFESSOR68

WELL MY FRIENDS-BECAUSE RADIO IS SO BOMBARDED WITH ALOT OF CRAZINESS BEING PLAYED ON THE AIR, IT IS A DAM SHAME THAT THEY DON'T PLAY SONGS FROM THIS ALBUM. ON THE REAL,THE MAJOR RECORD COMPANIES HAVE THESE RADIO STATIONS AND THE STORES IN THEIR POCKETS(READ:MONOPLY).

SO WHEN IDEPENDENT RECORD COMAPNIES LIKEA BBE TRIES TO GET THEIR ARTSIST PLAY ,IT IS DIFFICULT TO A DEGREE. ALSO THE AUDIENCE OF TODAY IS SO USED TO BEING SPOON FED SOME OF THE NONSENSE THAT IS ON VIDEO SHOWS AND THE RADIO THAT GOOD ALBUMS LIKE A "TROTM" OR EVEN LITTLE BROTHER'S ALBUM REALLY DON'T SHINE LIKE THEY REALLY COULD.

IF U AIN'T TALKING ABOUT WHAT U CARRYING,THE FLASHY CARS OR THE STREET DEALINGS(DRUGS AND STUFF),THE AUDIENCE TURNS A DAM NEAR DEAF EAR. PLUS I THINK THAT IT IS WACK THAT JEFF DID NOT GET ENUFF PRESS WITH THIS ALBUM. LIL ARTICLES IN XXL JUST DON'T DO IT. I WANT TO SEE A FULL BLOWN INTERVIEW IN SUCH POPULAR PUBLICATIONS. JEFF AIN'T NO NEW JACK-DUDE IS A "LEGEND"!!!!!

I FEEL ALSO BBE SHOULD HELP JEFF MAKE A VIDEO FOR AT LEAST ONE OF THE SINGLES OFF THE ALBUM AS WELL. YOU GET THAT VIDEO ON VH1 SOUL(MY FAVORITE VIDEO STATION-FORGET ABOUT B.E.T.), HE COULD GET ALOT MORE BURN. THE RADIO SHOW DJ'S (WHETHER RADIO OR SATELLITE) SHOULD HAVE JUMPED ON PLAYING CUTS OF THIS ALBUM. THIS IS WHY I RARELY LISTEN TO RADIO NOW.

JEFF ALSO NEEDS TO START PLAYING HIS STUFF AS WELL WHEN HE DJ'S AT ALOT OF PARTIES OR SHOWS. HE WOULD BE SURPRISED HOW MUCH OF A POSITIVE REACTION HE CAN GET. ALSO TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION THAT CD SALES ARE STEADILY GOING DOWN DUE TO THE FACT THAT CONSUMERS ARE TIRED OF BUYING CDS WHERE OUT OF ALL 15 TRACKS,ONLY 4 ARE GOOD. HECK,THEY ARE LIKE WHY PAY FOR A CD WHEN I CAN DOWNLOAD CERTAIN TRACKS AND BE DONE WITH IT. THE STATE OF MUSIC ,THOUGH STILL GOING,IS IN SHAMBLES AT THE SAME TIME.

I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT I SEEN THIS COMING BECAUSE OF THE WAY THE INDUSTRY IS TODAY. I WAS HOPING JEFF WOULD HAVE MADE THE 100,00 MARK. I STILL DON'T THINK IT IS TOO LATE FOR HIM TO SELL ALOT. RITE NOW HE NEEDS TO GET ON AS MUCH T.V. SHOWS AND DO ALOT OF PARTIES AND PLAY HIS MUSIC WHEN HE DJ'S.

THOUGH I KNOW HE AINT REALLY FRETTING IT,AS A FAN OF HIS WORK AND WHO HE IS AS A HUMAN BEING I DON'T LIKE TO SEE THIS HAPPEN TO HIM. HE DESERVES MUCH BETTER. STILL WITH PEOPLE LIKE TIM,KEV AND ALL THE OTHER FANS AND SUPPORTERS AROUND THE GLOBE, HE IS IN GOOD STANDINGS.

HE STILL AND ALWAYS WILL BE "MAGNIFICENT"!!!!! JUST HAD TO VENT!!!!

When i spoke to Jeff last week he said sales were going well. So maybe its doing what he expected it to do.

Numbers don't look that high but maybe he knew that is the way it would be for the promo and label he is on. He really does it just for the love of da game.

When i spoke to Jeff last week he said sales were going well. So maybe its doing what he expected it to do.

Numbers don't look that high but maybe he knew that is the way it would be for the promo and label he is on. He really does it just for the love of da game.

jeff doesnt care about sales very much, he does music cos he loves it..so any number will be ok for him, i guess

let's be honest, who the hell knows jazzy jeff and his music? all those kiddies out there were the reason why Will sold ~700 000 copies of L&F.

But you know, sales aren't important. It's all good as long as he's bringing out good music :2thumbs:

The only real promotion is done by Jeff himself by his touring and his interviews with usually small magazines. They sent out a promo for "Jeff N Fess" with "My Soul's Not For Sale" as the b-side (which i've heard on the radio kinda often on mature R-N-B/Classic R-N-B/Neo-Soul radio stations). There is no music video, posters, commercial or mainstream radio airplay. I can't say i expected it 2 be huge at this time. I think word of mouth and continued online support will keep it moderatly going. I'd love 2 see them do a music video tho'...INTENDED for the mainstream audience.

It's all about the music tho'...Jazzy isn't trying 2 be Puffy. Let's embrace the album and let those who care know how good it is. It's kinda like L+F. It's promoting great music, pleasing alot of music fans, and building a reputation 4 Jeff. But hopefully it'll set up a bigger album with bigger success.

• Admin

Hopefully word of mouth keeps the sales going for a long time. It's done well on itunes and amazon. I think a lot of people have illegally downloaded this and then not bought the album. When the advance leaked it seems everyone had it. For a small label like BBE sales of 10, 000 in the US would be quite good. I expect more for the quality of this album tho. I'm sure its also doing pretty well worldwide with Jeff's extensive touring.

well, idealy, all the people who visit this message board and Jeff's site should have already gotten it....so who's sleeping. And i agree that the internet has hurt the sales....it's done nothing but hurt everyone's sales. "Internet promotion" only seems 2 go so far. How many hit albums and songs have truely stemmed from internet promotion only?